tashee69
March 17, 2013, 2:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +972
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from davmariner
Some of their substitutions have puzzled me and it seems that they don't really know what to do to change a game for the better when things aren't going our way. What is clear to me is that these two still have a lot to learn as managers.

Almost as much as some of us keyboard managers  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
rancido
March 17, 2013, 4:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,684
Gold Stars: 102
The 4-4-2 system is only really effective if you can play 2 good wingers. We don't have one decent winger never mind two so I think we will often get found out. I also think this system puts too much pressure on the 2 central mid-fielders if the wingers don't do there fair share of defending or at least properly supporting the full-back. Maybe 4-4-3 is the way to go but do we have the quality of mid-fielders to play this way? Disley and Niven are ideal but who to play alongside and compliment these two is the big question. To me it is significant that since we lost Niven the opposition mid-field can do what it likes without anybody really closing them down and we don't have another player on the books who appears to be able to play Nivens role.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Garth
March 17, 2013, 4:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from rancido
The 4-4-2 system is only really effective if you can play 2 good wingers. We don't have one decent winger never mind two so I think we will often get found out. I also think this system puts too much pressure on the 2 central mid-fielders if the wingers don't do there fair share of defending or at least properly supporting the full-back. Maybe 4-4-3 is the way to go but do we have the quality of mid-fielders to play this way? Disley and Niven are ideal but who to play alongside and compliment these two is the big question. To me it is significant that since we lost Niven the opposition mid-field can do what it likes without anybody really closing them down and we don't have another player on the books who appears to be able to play Nivens role.

Nutshell, I`d give the job to Wilson and see how he goes on, why we don`t have any punch up front anymore is a mystery to me, it pains me to say it but we just went through the motions on Saturday whether it is the trophy thing or not I don`t know but the only bright thing that happened was Liam`s introduction
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
barralad
March 17, 2013, 4:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from rancido

12 men would give us a better chance!!

Agree totally with this view. I don't particularly like Colbeck but, defensively, he is far more competent than either Marshall or disappointingly Devitt.

As far as a replacement for Niven is concerned:-it took us ages to find him. I genuinely believe that players of that ilk are as rare as in this standard of football. The chances of a replacement are slim.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
mariner91
March 17, 2013, 4:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,912
Gold Stars: 264
Naylor and Disley would be alright I think but Pearson's injury puts paid to that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
rancido
March 17, 2013, 4:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,684
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from barralad

12 men would give us a better chance!!
Agree totally with this view. I don't particularly like Colbeck but, defensively, he is far more competent than either Marshall or disappointingly Devitt.

As far as a replacement for Niven is concerned:-it took us ages to find him. I genuinely believe that players of that ilk are as rare as in this standard of football. The chances of a replacement are slim.

Yeh , another senior moment I'm afraid!!!!!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
grimsby pete
March 17, 2013, 4:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,858
Gold Stars: 223
Buggering about with formations late in a season is only for really good sides - and by that I exclude most teams in the British leagues.  Formations dont win matches. Players do. 442, 433, 451 means nothing if the players don't know their role.

I agree .

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Mariners_15
March 17, 2013, 5:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from davmariner
Fairly obvious that teams have worked out how to play against and playing a 442 with deep central midfielders and a reliance on wingers does not work anymore. Teams can just get their full-backs tight on our wingers, have 3 in central midfield and push our central midfield very deep. Hope the managers realise that Devitt and Marshall are not effective enough; Marshall is too ineffective, too lightweight, reluctant to tackle and doesn't know when and how to cross whereas Devitt does not have enough urgency about his play and his crossing has been below par. I've said this for a while, that we miss Scott Neilson. He may be a complete helmet, but his work rate, delivery, strength is greater than both Devitt and Marshall's put together.

A lot of people were giving Brodie so much abuse, yet Cook had a very poor game. Brodie won his headers only for no-one to run onto his flick ons and at times had to single handedly try to make something out of nothing due to a lack of support. He had a couple of attempts that maybe he could have scored but certainly didn't deserve the abuse he received. There were other players who were significantly poorer than Brodie but I'll reserve the criticisms for the just back thread. It's clear that the managers haven't got an effective alternative for when things aren't working out. Well anyway, what's my solution? Here goes:

A 433. We need to take control of the central midfield area in matches; there's no point in having wingers if you cannot get the ball to them. Niven breaking up opposition play with Disley and Naylor pulling the strings and feeding balls for the strikers to run onto. We should play with 3 strikers, the two wide forwards can run the channels, receiving balls from Cook's flick ons or running onto balls threaded through to them. Brodie plays best on the right of a forward 3 as he likes to cut inside and distribute the ball/shoot. Hearn also played this role at Alfreton, and I certainly think that he can feed off Cook and play on the shoulder of the defender. Hannah can also be effective in this position. Either full back can support attacking phases, with Niven tucking in behind them in order to combat counter attacks.

Thoughts?

Think you have hit the nail on the head! I wasn't too sure about changing formation a few weeks ago! I thought it was a case of if it isn't broke don't fix it but 3 defeats has you thinking, has the poor performances since Christmas got anything to do with teams working out how to play against us? I think so, how many times since Christmas have teams packed the midfield and stopped us playing here? Maybe this has something to do with the constant hoofball we're playing too? I'd probably go 4-3-3 against Nuneaton or at least start taking a serious look at it in training. The wingers poor form lately too means we should have a serious think about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
YOUNG MARINER
March 17, 2013, 10:54pm
In Cod We Trust
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
I think we should just stick with how we play at the minute but get a bit more fight in some players and try and get marshall and Devitt to improve their delivery
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
TWAreaTownSupporter
March 17, 2013, 11:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from YOUNG MARINER
I think we should just stick with how we play at the minute but get a bit more fight in some players and try and get marshall and Devitt to improve their delivery

Spot on. Maybe go easy on the fight in Brodie's case though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumbled

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.