just back

This thread currently has 6,352 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
snottsmariner
March 16, 2013, 10:21pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Scotty said that Pearsons injury is a stiff hip which he's been carrying for a bit but hopes he will be ok. Not the knee which I thought it was when he walked very slowly off the pitch. All in his interview
on Mariner player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
mariner91
March 16, 2013, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,918
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from 1600

Devitt probably my MOM and the centre backs did well too but even Aswad didn't look on song today.

Why?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
barralad
March 16, 2013, 10:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600

Don't agree here - Colbeck didn't do superbly but made a difference with his energy and Brad's drive would have done too IMO.

Hmmm well you keep making this point but teams generally don't come back to win too often if they're behind.
That said, Woking is one and I'm 100% sure I've heard the Ponny sing "One nil up you f*cked it up" from the Upper on another occasion this season.

If there's any issue (and I'm not convinced there is), I would guess it comes from being unable to dominate possession.
Direct/long ball tends to be less effective against men behind the ball than passing build up play (which isn't our greatest strength by any means).
A lot of teams able to perform comebacks are those keeping the ball camped outside the oppositions box.

I tend to agree here !

I'm not talking about energy-I'd expect ANY sub. to have that quality. I'm talking about coming on and doing something different. The players we have tend to have the same attributes so all we get is more of the same. Today was a prime example of us needing to test the oppositions defence with a change of tactic/personnel. We simply do not have anyone. Colbeck did OK but had he changed the game it's hard to imagine we'd have had the same score as we did when the substitution took place.

I'd venture to suggest that a lot of good teams have the ability to come back from a losing position in their armour. In the last few games Mansfield have done so. Wrexham did (at Lincoln) and Kidderminster did today.

As I said-someone would be able to correct me. Just looked at the results and cannot see another game where we conceded first and went on to win. The best tries appear to have been at Barrow and Hyde. The former was drawn-the latter lost.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
chaos33
March 16, 2013, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,986
Gold Stars: 365
Think it's a good point you make about impact/substitutions mate, but we seem, all of a sudden, to be short of available players. Once again it comes down to quality and not having as much of it as our promotion rivals. Our apparent inability to do simple things like win second balls, pass, and cross are more fundamental I think. The number of games where our crossing/set-piece delivery has been poor - it must have cost us a heap of points this season and last. This is unforgiveable in pro's in my opinion. Talking of 'impact subs' - didn't Fleetwood use Brodie to that effect?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
Abdul19
March 16, 2013, 10:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from barralad

As I said-someone would be able to correct me. Just looked at the results and cannot see another game where we conceded first and went on to win. The best tries appear to have been at Barrow and Hyde. The former was drawn-the latter lost.

On a similar note, I was thinking today about how many late goals our rivals have scored in recent weeks. I can't recall us getting any vital goals in the last 5 minutes of a game all season. Obviously this isn't relevant if we're 3-0 up, but in games like today the lack of late goal threat wasn't really a surprise.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 11:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

I'm not talking about energy-I'd expect ANY sub. to have that quality. I'm talking about coming on and doing something different. The players we have tend to have the same attributes so all we get is more of the same. Today was a prime example of us needing to test the oppositions defence with a change of tactic/personnel. We simply do not have anyone. Colbeck did OK but had he changed the game it's hard to imagine we'd have had the same score as we did when the substitution took place.

I'd venture to suggest that a lot of good teams have the ability to come back from a losing position in their armour. In the last few games Mansfield have done so. Wrexham did (at Lincoln) and Kidderminster did today.

Well yeah you're right.
I suppose the injury situation doesn't help - we brought on an 18 year old and a player returning from a serious injury.
Albeit did well but sure you see my point....

Quoted from barralad

Woking and Alfteton ?
Not trying to belittle your point though, you may be right.
I just think we're having trouble for a number of reasons, injuries, luck etc
Reply: 55 - 74
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 11:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91

Why?

Thought he did very well 1st half and looked our most dangerous player.
2nd half few came out with too much credit.
Reply: 56 - 74
mariner91
March 16, 2013, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Thought he did very well 1st half and looked our most dangerous player.
2nd half few came out with too much credit.

Personally I thought he offered little threat all game though not as little as Marshall. Neither of them put any good balls in all game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 11:46pm
Guest User
Well let's be honest there wasn't really a stand our performer today.
Who was you MOM ? Naylor ?
And out of interest who did the sponsors pick ?
Reply: 58 - 74
mariner91
March 16, 2013, 11:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Well let's be honest there wasn't really a stand our performer today.
Who was you MOM ? Naylor ?
And out of interest who did the sponsors pick ?

Didn't hear the sponsors cause I thought the tannoy sounded worse than ever today. And yes my man of the match would have been Naylor although I don't think the centre backs did anything particularly wrong either. Thought Naylor looked classy and the only one who was trying to get us passing and moving with any urgency.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.