barralad
March 16, 2013, 8:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Maringer
Incidentally, I'm not too sure why so many people are having a go at Colbeck. He did OK when he came on, winning a few corners and did a damn sight more than Marshall managed when he was on the pitch.

That one occasion where the ball ran out of play (after he'd made an interception), there was a clear bobble which led to it being run out.

Colbeck can run around as much as he likes, winning corners and throw-ins. Until he does what he is there to do-i.e. deliver decent corners, crosses, and even free kicks into dangerous areas then I'm afraid he's going to continue to get (deserved) stick.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
brad_gtfc
March 16, 2013, 8:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
We've just massively gone off the boil. Cookie looks knackered, he needs a rest.
McKeown seems to have developed a habit of kicking the ball out or on the head of the smallest striker.
Hattons distribution was poor and why for the life of me does he not go past his winger on the overlap is beyond me, it's all him dropping of to collect but the move just fizzles out usually.
Devitt is showing flashes of his old self but Marshall looks a lost soul at the minute.

Sooner we get Disley, Niven and Hannah back the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
Maringer
March 16, 2013, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,774
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from barralad

Colbeck can run around as much as he likes, winning corners and throw-ins. Until he does what he is there to do-i.e. deliver decent corners, crosses, and even free kicks into dangerous areas then I'm afraid he's going to continue to get (deserved) stick.

I just dislike the way Colbeck is getting singled out when Marshall was less effective and Devitt did pretty much Sweet F.A. (once again) without facing any specific criticism. On that performance today, I'd rather have Colbeck in the team as at least he's a trier, something which Marshall and Devitt couldn't be accused of at the moment.

Devitt had masses of ability when he played for us in our relegation season and I thought he'd be a cracking signing. What has happened to him?

Marshall was in great form, full of pace and looked a real threat earlier this season. Recently? Utterly ineffective, drifting out of games, rarely taking on the defenders, giving the ball away frequently.

Ultimately, one of our main problems remains the lack of pace in our midfield/forwards. Marshall is quick, Colbeck is quick-ish. The rest of them? No pace, I'm afraid. I hope nobody tries to claim Hearn is quick, by the way, because he isn't. Plenty of other good attributes but pace isn't one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
grimsby pete
March 16, 2013, 8:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,858
Gold Stars: 223
How many times have I read on here that Marshall and Devitt have disappeared in the 2nd half of matches

I can understand why Devitt gets tired after his long lay off,

BUT

Marshall should not be doing , if he wants a contract next season either with us or anybody else.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 74
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 8:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
The main problem-as has been alluded to by lots of posters over the season-is that we don't have anyone on the bench with the ability to change the game or even take it by the scruff of the neck.

Don't agree here - Colbeck didn't do superbly but made a difference with his energy and Brad's drive would have done too IMO.
Quoted from barralad
I'm sure someone will be able to correct me but I cannot remember us winning a game after going behind this season.

Hmmm well you keep making this point but teams generally don't come back to win too often if they're behind.
That said, Woking is one and I'm 100% sure I've heard the Ponny sing "One nil up you f*cked it up" from the Upper on another occasion this season.

If there's any issue (and I'm not convinced there is), I would guess it comes from being unable to dominate possession.
Direct/long ball tends to be less effective against men behind the ball than passing build up play (which isn't our greatest strength by any means).
A lot of teams able to perform comebacks are those keeping the ball camped outside the oppositions box.
Quoted from barralad
The sad fact is that the Gods haven't smiled on us regarding injuries to key players at the wrong time.

Fantastic to see Liam Hearn return but thought that the decision to play him smacked of a measure of desperation.

I tend to agree here !
Reply: 44 - 74
Tom13
March 16, 2013, 8:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Disappointing performance, but it seemed (to me at least) that we could have strolled to victory if we could have put a decent cross into the box that could have evaded the keeper. Surely if their keeper was catching every cross (impressively it has to be said) we should have changed tactics, perhaps attempting to get to the byline and pull it back to someone in the middle along the floor? Marshall was completely ineffective, Devitt was also for large periods of the game but he did at least come close twice from range - particularly the free kick at the end.

Such a frustrating goal to concede, McKeown was giving Naylor an earful after the goal so I can only assume that he did call for it only for Naylor to head it in anyway. Until they had a few dangerous crosses into the box after about an hour, they never looked like getting near our goal which makes the defeat even more annoying.

What has happened to Aswad Thomas by the way? He still looks defensively solid, but he no longer attacks as much as before and even when he does it's not as effective as before!

Great to see Liam Hearn back, despite lacking match sharpness he still looks a class act - his 1st/2nd touch was to poke it through the legs of a defender. I would agree though that he was more brought on to motivate the crowd, although his inclusion did have me worried a little after Scott's interview with the GET saying that he could possibly get through 20 minutes, and that he wouldn't definitely be on the bench for Wembley! Luckily he came through unscathed though!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
Tom13
March 16, 2013, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
And in response to the previous question about us coming from behind, we went 1-0 down against Alfreton at home early on and then came back to win 4-2, and we went 1-0 down away to Welling in the trophy and won 2-1 - it is possible!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 9:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club

Artus tired understandably and i would have liked to have seen the centre mid change a little earlier

Mckeown again failing to command his area, Naylor backpedalling towards his own 6 yd box with no real pressure....should have been a big shout and collect by Mckeown....lessons not learned from the Kiddy game first goal

Spot on IMO.

I seem to remember it wasn't the only lack of communication between GK and defence today too.
Perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh with new boy Naylor.
But think you're right, Macca needs to sort out his defenders and area.
Quoted from moosey_club
Devitt disappeared second half

Hit the bar though !
tbh it felt like they all disappeared (apart from the subs)
Quoted from Maringer
Incidentally, I'm not too sure why so many people are having a go at Colbeck. He did OK when he came on, winning a few corners and did a damn sight more than Marshall managed when he was on the pitch.

Absolutely !
Quoted from barralad

Then so will Hatton.
The odd good pass apart, he's rapidly turning into a liability offering nothing.
urine poor delivery too.
tbh I'm very suprised the managers didn't go with Wood today - was always gonna be a game where you need a bit of voooommf.
Reply: 47 - 74
snottsmariner
March 16, 2013, 10:10pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Yes very frustrating. Wheres the desire, teamwork and performance that we showed at Mansfield. There I was driving half way across the country again thinking do what you did on Tuesday and it'll happen. Oh know the famous slow start and players either tired or have something else on their mind. I wonder what?? Not good enough. Managers that are asking the fans to get behind the team, umm! wonder how many will be at the next home match? Funny how people moan about loanees and yet I thought Naylor was definately m.o.m just a shame we didn't have another 10 like him. Thought some played well actually Artus one of them considering he's had very little football. But Brodie, oh Brodie, attitude, look in the mirror mate, new he was going off and then all he did was moan about it. To patchy for me and not the player I thought he was. Not convinced he's got many mates in the team either?

Just have to accept this week and move on quick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
Stevie Saunders
March 16, 2013, 10:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
I agree with Buckley on RH - we are playing like we are mentally jaded.
No spark, no bite, overcomplicating things, lacklustre, jaded, workmanlike and uninspired
This all started when we were in top two and flying! Why?
Pressure?
If Pearson's injury is a bad one and he misses Wembley (haven't heard anything post match) do we recall Ford or play Bradley at centre back? Niven can play there
It's all going belly up
Hearn one bright spot - looks lean, mean and will score goals again soon
Let's not forget - back in August we would have settled for play off spot and TWO Wembley appearnaces
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.