3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
December 22, 2012, 11:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,522
Gold Stars: 74
Half through the season and we are top of the league.  A few weeks ago people were saying that the other teams had games in hand over us and could have dropped down to sixth. At the time, I said I rather have the points on the board.  I guess after the Christmas period we will have a clearer idea who will be in the mix.
The main challengers in my opinion will be Wrexham, Kidderminster, & Mansfield, with Luton, Forest Green & Newport falling away
Wrexham showed last year they can stay the pace, still in the FA trophy.
Kidderminster have only lost 1 in the 18 games, still 8 points adrift.  similar to our season last year, will they be able to push on unlike us? Advantage out of all the cups.
Mansfield 3 games in hand, the FA cup tie with Liverpool may be a distraction.
Luton have 2 games in hand and still in the FA cup & trophy, come January 18th we will have played 5 games more than Luton and can open a big gap.  Fixture pile-up and points on the board pressure.
Forest Green can they stay the pace? or will they fall away like Dartford? Advantage out of all the cups.
Newport a bit like us, a tough Christmas playing the likes of Forest Green twice and Wrexham which will make or break their season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
80sglory
December 23, 2012, 4:20am
Guest User
Honestly think it's all about us.

Said when Mr Newport came on the forum they had a dodgy defence
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1354637941/s-0/#num11

before they lost 3-2 at Kidderminster...

But was interesting reading this comment from Mr Edinburgh post match...
http://www.bluesqfootball.com/story/0,20970,6384_8320240,00.html
"We haven't defended well enough with the goals we have conceded. We should have been four or five up at half-time."

Not so worried about the others tbh.
But IF Newport beat Forest Green away on Boxing day (and tbf their away form isn't great), then you'd have to take them seriously after they demolished Luton 5-2 (albeit at home).

Always think goal difference is a fair guide and that would mean us, Newport and Wrexham are looking the best.
Kiddy ? Possibly but it's asking a lot for them to keep winning (and see above) to win the league but who knows...
Mansfield, not sure they're good enough away from home ?
Forest Green - who knows but just beaten by Braintree 3-1.
Luton - mixed feelings but you couldn't rule them out if they're splashing the cash like mad ?

But like I said, think it's all about us.
If we can get over the Xmas period with flying colours then perhaps it's partly down to how much we really want to drive it home with signings etc ?
Unless FA Trophy, unexpected injuries etc play their part or whatever...
Reply: 1 - 24
DocTower
December 23, 2012, 11:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
During the Wrexham match there was an interview with a reporter from the Non League paper . He was saying it too close to call , you could pick 6 teams who will be in the mix at the end of the season .
We have a hard last 6 games which will sort where everyone finishes . Last game at home to Newport  . !! That says it all for me . Hopefully it will be all sorted by then .

Its all about what we do , we haven't been on a run yet . Liam is still to come back , now if he rejoined us for the run in , fit and on fire that would add to the gate and excitement to what has been a good season so far .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
aldi_01
December 23, 2012, 11:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To say we haven't been on a run is bizarre yet true in some ways. Many would say only losing 4 games all season and going 6 games out of 7 without conceding is a run, and we are top but I do know what you mean. I'd say at present the top 5 are all a threat to each other. I personally think Newport or forest green will drop away, don't know why I just think they will.

I've said all season I fancy it to be us and Wrexham to go up and after Friday I still think that. Luton aren't doing anything to suggest they'll suddenly fly to the top and stay there ad we all know they bottle the big games in this league.

At the minute I'm just enjoying the fact web are officially the best team.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
gymadman
December 23, 2012, 11:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
The biggest threat to our chance's would be the failure to sign Pond & Hannah, give us these two and I honestly believe we will win the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
STB
December 23, 2012, 11:43am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I think Mansfield could be the dark horses especially if they win their games in hand and use the Liverpool money wisely in the transfer window but, we've got the points on the board.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Marinerz93
December 23, 2012, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
We are top of the league after a slow start and the next two games and who we can bring in Jan will be key to us carrying on competing with the front runners.  

With 10 games to go things will heat up and I feel that IF we are still top or within a manageable points reach it will be between us and Wrexham.  Wrexham's weakness is up front and with 6 strikers on the books will they have the resources to dig deeper to bring in yet another striker.  Newport have started very brightly and if it wasn't for their game being off they could well be top for Christmas.  They on the other hand are weak at the back and as the season progresses I think they will fade slowly away from the top 3.  FGR could replace them in the top 3 but again anyone from 4-5 teams can win this league if they put a strong run together.

I am just loving being top of the league.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Super Clive
December 23, 2012, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Our main threat?? The so called smaller teams..
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Mighty_Mariner
December 23, 2012, 12:12pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,245
Gold Stars: 10
The team I'm most worried about TBH is Kidderminster! They're on a fantastic run (won 6 on the bounce) and are scoring goals for fun! Other than that I dont see anyone we should worry about! I agree that if we sign Hannah and Zoond then we'll win the league!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
cod.gtfc
December 23, 2012, 1:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Wrexham, Luton, Kiddy and Mansfield.

Newport and FGR if they spend big in Jan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do you see as our main threat

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.