Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

s n h - got this horrible feeling...

This thread currently has 21,944 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
August 29, 2012, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,034
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from grimsby pete
Maybe its all Parkers fault ???????

?

Quoted from grimsby pete

I am not into the blame game,

Make your mind up or are you just selective when it comes to blame?
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 99
rancido
August 29, 2012, 1:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,604
Gold Stars: 96
I don't think The Dynamic Duo are " hoof ball " managers. I think they try to get the team to mix the play with a passing game and playing down the channels. Unfortunately during the Stockport and Nuneaton games when we seem to be getting nowhere the back line just kicked it forward regardless. This could be a lack of confidence or just panic measures but it certainly wasn't what The Dynamic Duo wanted. These two guys have both had long , reasonably successful careers as footballers and as such they know a good player from a bad one and also have their own ideas on how they want the game played.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 99
RonMariner
August 29, 2012, 3:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,766
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Maringer

You're being generous there - Peacock was hopelessly ineffective during all of his time at Blundell Park. In his final season, he barely broke into a sweat until after Christmas when he started looking for a new contract. Extremely poor indeed.

That said, I'm not denying he might be correct about Shorty and Shouty's man management not being suitable for the modern era.

Unfortunately, the days where players could be cowed into knuckling down and performing well seem to have gone so the likes of Clough and Buckley couldn't manage successfully these days. Remember how Buckley Mk. III was at a complete loss as to what to do with the players at times?

The surprising thing is that none of the players seem to have much in the way of character about them so aren't embarrassed to put in half-arsed performances. You'd think that effort should surely be the least that can be expected from professional footballers, but apparently not.

Not sure about that. Sir Alex is hardly a marriage guidance councellor, but his trophy cabinet is pretty packed. I doubt Clough would struggle either. I think though that there is a difference between strong forceful leadership, and just shouting f words at players. That is the crucial distinction.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 99
grimsby pete
August 29, 2012, 6:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from arryarryarry

Make your mind up or are you just selective when it comes to blame?

I said maybe, it was a question hence the question marks,

I promise I will be more careful what I post in future,

Since I might have a stalker.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 99
marinette
August 29, 2012, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from DarlingtonFC1883

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Cooper isn't THAT good of a manager. His record at Tamworth is very poor. Yes, you could say that his record was very good at Kettering, but he was heavily backed by Ladak and a lot of these good results came in the Blue Square North.

Within 5 months of Cooper's tenure at Darlington, fans were calling for his head after draws against Eastbourne (9 men), and Bath City, as well as defeats at home to Wrexham and Hayes and Yeading. He turned it around and obviously got us to Wembley but our run wasn't exactly hard as we defeated Tamworth, Bath City, AFC Telford, Salisbury, Gateshead, and Mansfield. Not exactly hard when the semi-finalists and finalists both finished mid-table in the Conference, is it?

The season after, Cooper spunked a big budget and we failed. By the last few games we had gone back to basics, and he had traditionally brought in a few panic signings such as James Gray, Nialle Rodney, and his love-child Exodus Geohaghon.

I wish we had a player called Exodus.

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 99
Maringer
August 29, 2012, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,569
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RonMariner

Not sure about that. Sir Alex is hardly a marriage guidance councellor, but his trophy cabinet is pretty packed. I doubt Clough would struggle either. I think though that there is a difference between strong forceful leadership, and just shouting f words at players. That is the crucial distinction.

Clough was failing when he retired. Though how much of that was down to the booze, I don't know.

Ferguson is a bit of a different case because, although he's an old-style manager, he's been endlessly successful for donkey's years. Not to mention the fact that he's managed pretty much the biggest club in the world for all those years so he's been able to buy some of the best players around!

It must be tricky for the majority of managers at virtually every other club these days as nobody has any security of tenure. It doesn't take too much of a dip in form for them to be given the hook. On the other hand, at lower division clubs, the players don't tend to stick around for more than a year or two either! I reckon luck must play a reasonable part in the success of lack thereof of some managers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 99
TownSNAFU5
August 29, 2012, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,889
Gold Stars: 42
I commented above about the Nuneaton game.   Subsequent posters said that the players just got it wrong once they crossed the white line.  Well ok, but can you imagine Fergie's players doing that?  The book stops with the manager(s). They seem to have rectified this collective poor performance by the Mansfield game.

I also made the comment that a quick fix is needed. I did not clarify this.  I did not mean a change of management.   I meant getting (say) an influential midfielder or a good win.  The Mansfield game took the pressure off the team and managers.  It will also built confidence, a critical commodity.

In response to the point made that "there is no quick fix in football".   Generally very true.  Success is built over time - or with a very rich benefactor.  

Thanoj will make a good creative midfielder for us. He needs time to develop his game and does not need "10 years of poor midfields" hanging around his neck at this stage of his career.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 99
Mighty_Mariner
January 28, 2013, 10:02pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
How times change!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 99
RonMariner
January 29, 2013, 8:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,766
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
How times change!

Indeed. It's a results business.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 99
gary_elton
January 29, 2013, 11:00am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I'm gonna worry when we are not top of the league... to be honest.. gettin out of this excrement is all I care about
gettin back into the league is all that matters...  if S & H do it for us... bloody marvellous....!!!

If they dont.. they've given us more to shout about than many others have over the last 10 years.... I cudnt give a flying hoot
if Mickey and Minnie Mouse were in charge so long as we do the business... and we appear to be doin it at the moment...

Might not be pretty... might not be nice every week... but so far results are going for us.... I have got so many things crossed
for success this season that my eyes are watering.....  Keep the Faith !!!  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › s n h - got this horrible feeling...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.