3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
marinette
August 20, 2012, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
If Hearn's not going to be around for a few weeks, I'd like to see a bit more of D. Southwell - which of our other 'strikers' would he be best paired with, and for those who have seen him in pre-season, how does he compare with say, Bore (as a striker, not a full back) or North at a similar age?

Private Message
marinerdean
August 20, 2012, 9:13pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +23
Dayle is much better than North was. I believe if he stays for a while he will become a real crowds favourite. But I think he you was to start him, then you should partner him with Elding because of Eldings experience
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
hook line and sinker
August 20, 2012, 9:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
good player,strikers instincts in the box will score goals if given the chance,should be partnered with elds upfront playing off one another
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
marinette
August 20, 2012, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Cheers both - I'm liking the sound of this.  

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
barralad
August 20, 2012, 9:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from marinerdean
Dayle is much better than North was. I believe if he stays for a while he will become a real crowds favourite. But I think he you was to start him, then you should partner him with Elding because of Eldings experience

Reasonable shout.  He has more pace than the rest of our currently fit strike force and enthusiasm by the bucketful.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
HungryHaddock
August 20, 2012, 9:27pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +10 / -2
i think he would be better with some experience on loan in a first team side

Pride of Lincolnshire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Poojah
August 20, 2012, 9:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,908
Gold Stars: 1,527
Only seen him play a couple of times myself, but looks rather small and lightweight to me. Didn't get much support on Saturday, but I'm not sure now is a good time to be looking to 18-year old kids to be getting us out of a hole - it's a lot of pressure and it won't help his confidence if the rest of the side happen to be getting booed to fúckaroo.

Having said that, it doesn't seem to have done Ryan Bennett much harm so what do I know?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
cleefish
August 20, 2012, 9:33pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from marinerdean

I agree fully he is very good for his age utm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
voice of reason
August 20, 2012, 9:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from cleefish

I agree fully he is very good for his age utm.

Well that's comforting, you thought H&S was our saviours and we was going to take the league by storm, erm....

Anyway, although I've not seen him much, from what I've heard, he could be class act... I suppose a lot of it will be down to hard work, a bit of luck and the fans leaving him alone when he makes a mistake will help (pretty much the opposite of how the fans, or at least a lot of them, react to Bradley Wood)...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
psgmariner
August 20, 2012, 10:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Big Leeds United fan.

That's not the swear filter btw.

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
Abdul19
August 20, 2012, 10:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from psgmariner
Big Leeds United fan.

That's not the swear filter btw.

Must be brilliant training with a Leeds legend then!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Havelock the Dane
August 20, 2012, 10:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Too small and lightweight. Good in pre-season when nobody tackles him. Hope he proves me wrong and becomes a GTFC legend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
marinette
August 20, 2012, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Where's Dave Boylen when you need him?  

I've got a nasty feeling that Nick Hegarty was a Leeds fan too, but can't quite remember.

OK, that's Dayle Southwell, Bradley Wood, Shaun Pearson (maybe) and Ian Miller.

Just trying to find one or two reasons to drag myself back to Blundell Park when the time comes.  

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
tashee69
August 20, 2012, 10:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Havelock the Dane
Too small and lightweight. Good in pre-season when nobody tackles him. Hope he proves me wrong and becomes a GTFC legend.

Too small? He's not tall but most of his preseason goals came from headers. It's all about finding space in the box.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
bogbrush
August 21, 2012, 1:10am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Nice pair of legs. not a bad bottom either.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
davmariner
August 21, 2012, 2:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Similar to what Poojah said really. Small, lightweight and haven't really seen anything to get excited about, reminds a bit of Andy Taylor.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Garth
August 21, 2012, 8:47am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from davmariner
Similar to what Poojah said really. Small, lightweight and haven't really seen anything to get excited about, reminds a bit of Andy Taylor.

Disagree re the Andy Taylor bit, he was very good during pre season, much better than Bore IMO,  very sharp in the box, out jumps taller defenders and if treated right will turn out to be a star player , reminds me of a young Mendonca who when you think of it was not built like a brick karsey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Chrisblor
August 21, 2012, 10:34am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,972
Gold Stars: 242
Hey guess what, you can be small and lightweight and still be a good footballer. Please watch the following players for evidence of this:

Messi, L
Silva, D
Modric, L
Xavi, H
Tevez, C
Iniesta, A
Defoe, J
Maradona, D
Walcott, T

All these players are comfortably below 6ft and are far from imposing figures on the pitch. It's a good job their coaches didn't write them off aged 18 because they weren't as big as their teammates. Southwell has been impressive in pre-season and even scored a header so how about we end this ridiculous cliche that only huge illegitimates succeed at football?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Maringer
August 21, 2012, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,683
Gold Stars: 189
That Zola chap could have been good if he'd been a little taller as well.

I'm not so sure that Defoe is good enough to be included in that list, however. Walcott certainly shouldn't be in there! He's the new Tony Daley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
davmariner
August 21, 2012, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hey guess what, you can be small and lightweight and still be a good footballer. Please watch the following players for evidence of this:

Messi, L
Silva, D
Modric, L
Xavi, H
Tevez, C
Iniesta, A
Defoe, J
Maradona, D
Walcott, T

All these players are comfortably below 6ft and are far from imposing figures on the pitch. It's a good job their coaches didn't write them off aged 18 because they weren't as big as their teammates. Southwell has been impressive in pre-season and even scored a header so how about we end this ridiculous cliche that only huge illegitimates succeed at football?

Cue the overreaction brigade. No one was writing anyone off, just merely stating their opinions on Southwell from what they've seen so far which is what Marinette asked for. Interesting to see you've picked out examples from the top divisions. We're in the BSP a much more physical and a much less skillful league, thus benefiting 'huge illegitimates' rather than smaller players.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
BlackBoots
August 21, 2012, 12:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from davmariner

Cue the overreaction brigade. No one was writing anyone off, just merely stating their opinions on Southwell from what they've seen so far which is what Marinette asked for. Interesting to see you've picked out examples from the top divisions. We're in the BSP a much more physical and a much less skillful league, thus benefiting 'huge illegitimates' rather than smaller players.

Jamie Vardy was largely regarded as the best/most effective player in the BSP last season and he was no 'huge illegitimate'.

See also Scott Kerr, Dean Keates etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Havelock the Dane
August 21, 2012, 2:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
If you are going to be small and lightweight you have to have tremendous skill to compensate. Most of the small players mentioned in Chrisblor's post are also physically powerful and strong despite their stature, not to mention many having blistering pace. If you are small, weak, and can get pushed off the ball by a passing rabbit, you are unlikely to make much impression in the BSP.

He seems a decent finisher, enthusiastic and determined, but I fear that may not be enough. As I said earlier, if he does make it I will be the first to both admit I was wrong and to congratulate him. I really hope I am wrong. He is still young and growing and he may develop physically which will be a tremendous help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
RonMariner
August 21, 2012, 3:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Chrisblor

Messi, L
Silva, D
Modric, L
Xavi, H
Tevez, C
Iniesta, A
Defoe, J
Maradona, D
Walcott, T

George Best wasn't too bad either........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Laceby Andy
August 21, 2012, 3:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
He looks on the young side but if im honest he wasnt short by any meens. He looks like a young player that has promise to me. given time he will get better and better and maybe a good cheap squad player to mix it up at times. Its a very early stage to know how things will progress for him as at this level teams do not have the funding to give players like Dayle more then a years pro to progress. I know a few ex town YT players that just didnt progress enough quickly enough and so not offered a contract. Ryan Bennett wasnt always going to make it, infact in his early days coming to town he apparently wasnt anything special at all but woodsey kept him on and the rest is history so to speak.

Fingers crossed for the lad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
80sglory
August 22, 2012, 1:10am
Guest User
His flashes of skill are what's caught my eye.

Appreciate if you're lightweight you'll be pushed off the ball, but most successful smaller players achieve through pace and ability, not by acting as a hold up man.

Don't think he deserves any weight of expectation or pressure, just hope he progresses over time.
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › opinions on Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.