This thread currently has 2,245 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
BlackBoots
August 21, 2012, 12:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from davmariner

Cue the overreaction brigade. No one was writing anyone off, just merely stating their opinions on Southwell from what they've seen so far which is what Marinette asked for. Interesting to see you've picked out examples from the top divisions. We're in the BSP a much more physical and a much less skillful league, thus benefiting 'huge illegitimates' rather than smaller players.

Jamie Vardy was largely regarded as the best/most effective player in the BSP last season and he was no 'huge illegitimate'.

See also Scott Kerr, Dean Keates etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Havelock the Dane
August 21, 2012, 2:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
If you are going to be small and lightweight you have to have tremendous skill to compensate. Most of the small players mentioned in Chrisblor's post are also physically powerful and strong despite their stature, not to mention many having blistering pace. If you are small, weak, and can get pushed off the ball by a passing rabbit, you are unlikely to make much impression in the BSP.

He seems a decent finisher, enthusiastic and determined, but I fear that may not be enough. As I said earlier, if he does make it I will be the first to both admit I was wrong and to congratulate him. I really hope I am wrong. He is still young and growing and he may develop physically which will be a tremendous help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
RonMariner
August 21, 2012, 3:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hey guess what, you can be small and lightweight and still be a good footballer. Please watch the following players for evidence of this:

Messi, L
Silva, D
Modric, L
Xavi, H
Tevez, C
Iniesta, A
Defoe, J
Maradona, D
Walcott, T

All these players are comfortably below 6ft and are far from imposing figures on the pitch. It's a good job their coaches didn't write them off aged 18 because they weren't as big as their teammates. Southwell has been impressive in pre-season and even scored a header so how about we end this ridiculous cliche that only huge illegitimates succeed at football?

George Best wasn't too bad either........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Laceby Andy
August 21, 2012, 3:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
He looks on the young side but if im honest he wasnt short by any meens. He looks like a young player that has promise to me. given time he will get better and better and maybe a good cheap squad player to mix it up at times. Its a very early stage to know how things will progress for him as at this level teams do not have the funding to give players like Dayle more then a years pro to progress. I know a few ex town YT players that just didnt progress enough quickly enough and so not offered a contract. Ryan Bennett wasnt always going to make it, infact in his early days coming to town he apparently wasnt anything special at all but woodsey kept him on and the rest is history so to speak.

Fingers crossed for the lad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
80sglory
August 22, 2012, 1:10am
Guest User
His flashes of skill are what's caught my eye.

Appreciate if you're lightweight you'll be pushed off the ball, but most successful smaller players achieve through pace and ability, not by acting as a hold up man.

Don't think he deserves any weight of expectation or pressure, just hope he progresses over time.
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › opinions on Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.