Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Have expectations ever been so low?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 104 Guests

Have expectations ever been so low?

This thread currently has 1,915 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
May 14, 2012, 3:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
For an England tournament campaign. Anyone else feeling the same?

Usually going into a World Cup or Euro's I always have that bit of expectation that maybe, just maybe we're going to do really well, only to see that expectation crushed after a few games. For these Euro's though I just can't seem to get excited at all. Although I preferred Hodgson to get the job over Redknapp I can only see a real struggle to get out of the Group and even if we did I can't really see us progressing any further.

Here's hoping I'm proved wrong though.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
prestonmariner
May 14, 2012, 3:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
I see what you mean, but for some reason, i think we might have a successful year. By no means do i think we will win it, but iv just got a feeling. I think that some of our better players have had great seasons (Hart, Terry, Lampard, Parker etc), and it could follow on into the Euro's. And, its been a while since we had a manager like Hodgson. But here's hoping that it a great summer for us all. I am really looking forward to it.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
bradzmilne
May 14, 2012, 3:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
I think expectations being low, it will work in englands favour. With the media spotlight being off, england will go far in the competition but get picked at the post by spain or holland. Cant get myself excited for the euro's though, not like a world cup anyhow

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
STB
May 14, 2012, 3:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
As always, I think we'll win, beating Germany in the final.

Hopefully, I'll be correct this time - can't fookin' wait TBH

My GTFC expectations have been lowered though, I'd be happy to finish above Lincoln and whoever went up from the BSN (and a couple more).

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
mariner91
May 14, 2012, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,785
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from prestonmariner
I see what you mean, but for some reason, i think we might have a successful year. By no means do i think we will win it, but iv just got a feeling. I think that some of our better players have had great seasons (Hart, Terry, Lampard, Parker etc), and it could follow on into the Euro's. And, its been a while since we had a manager like Hodgson. But here's hoping that it a great summer for us all. I am really looking forward to it.

Terry has been gash all season and it would be a travesty if he is in the starting line up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Maringer
May 14, 2012, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,690
Gold Stars: 189
I can't say my expectations have gotten any higher following the appointment of Neville as a coach.

I think we'll probably struggle to get out of the group stage this time, to be honest. First time in a long while that I've thought that was a likelihood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Perkins
May 14, 2012, 4:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Good point is, if we have low expectations, and don't expect too much then we wont be too dissapointed when we crash out early will we?-- or will we?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
mariner91
May 14, 2012, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,785
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Maringer
I can't say my expectations have gotten any higher following the appointment of Neville as a coach.

I think we'll probably struggle to get out of the group stage this time, to be honest. First time in a long while that I've thought that was a likelihood.

Agree. France will win our group and I can see us screwing up against either Ukraine or Sweden.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
AdamHaddock
May 14, 2012, 5:54pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
Call me a miserable turd but I can't remember the last time I was really excited about the England football team. Probably some time in the mid Sven years. I wish Roy the best but I have low expectations these days

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Meza
May 14, 2012, 5:57pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,653
Gold Stars: 50
Expectations are set by the media are they not?  I don't have high expectations but who's going to know about it no-one and the same applies to all of us.  The media will still be the same unless someone prints different gogglygook.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
GodHelpUs
May 14, 2012, 6:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from Maringer

How do you know Neville is a bad coach? He's certainly articulate and seems to know the game inside out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Super Clive
May 14, 2012, 6:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
At least we qualified this time.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Maringer
May 14, 2012, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GodHelpUs

How do you know Neville is a bad coach? He's certainly articulate and seems to know the game inside out!

Neville may have his badges but has never actually worked as a coach. I'd imagine a good analogy would be between a newly-qualified Doctor and another who has been in the job for years. Which would you trust to treat you?

I'd imagine that the appointment is as much a PR one as a football-based one. Fair enough, I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
grimsby pete
May 14, 2012, 6:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I am sure we will win the group easy,

THEN

Lose on pens in the quarter final.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Bullitt
May 14, 2012, 6:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

Neville may have his badges but has never actually worked as a coach. I'd imagine a good analogy would be between a newly-qualified Doctor and another who has been in the job for years. Which would you trust to treat you?

I'd imagine that the appointment is as much a PR one as a football-based one. Fair enough, I suppose.

I would imagine having a ridiculous amount of experience working with players and staff at the highest level both with club and country would help in regards to coaching, he knows whats what, and hes even proved he has an eye for tactics and movement on Sky.
Reply: 14 - 24
GodHelpUs
May 14, 2012, 6:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from Maringer

Total nonsense. We aren't talking about the medical profession here...some of the best managers and coaches (many of them, in fact) have done best in their first job!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
moosey_club
May 14, 2012, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Mine are pretty much the same as always, dont think England will get past the quarter finals. History has shown that we do not generally finish in the top two of any tournament we enter so why on earth people believe every time a tournament comes around we will, is beyond me.

Sir Alf picked a team and there have not been many occassions since his reign that we have done the same, managers have selected a collection of star players, not many have selected rising stars or players for a role....Gerrard on the left as an example.

For the past 20yrs we have seen what is supposed to be the greatest domestic league produce very little of world class internationally. One of the Premier League's founding arguments was that it would reduce the amount of games players played to benefit the international set up. The Premier league reduces games so the clubs look elsewhere for revenue...Fulham have just finished a season they started 11 months ago and have played around 60 games.
When teams have a break they go on tour to Asia FFS.

I hope Hodgson has the b@lls to to weild the axe after this summer and start afresh with the next world cup in mind. Bin the overpaid underachieving supposed world class players and bring in some fresh hungry players and mould them over the next two years.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Abdul19
May 14, 2012, 7:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
If England get to the quarters, it'll be a decent tournament.

Expectations are usually high, but unrealistically so.

Germany to win it.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Rick12
May 14, 2012, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin
For an England tournament campaign. Anyone else feeling the same?
For these Euro's though I just can't seem to get excited at all. Although I preferred Hodgson to get the job over Redknapp I can only see a real struggle to get out of the Group and even if we did I can't really see us progressing any further.

Here's hoping I'm proved wrong though.
the lack of excitement is probably due to the recent failures in recent years of the national team.I still feel England are a decent team with some very good players and on their day could beat anyone

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Rodley Mariner
May 14, 2012, 7:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,274
Gold Stars: 184
It wouldn't be England without false expectations so we'll probably bravely draw with France to give some optimism before a disappointing draw with Sweden and a defeat by Ukraine to send us home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
Abdul19
May 14, 2012, 7:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
It'll have to go some to be worse than 88 and 92!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
RonMariner
May 14, 2012, 8:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,866
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am sure we will win the group easy,

THEN

Lose on pens in the quarter final.

That's about right(getting to the QF, not winning the group easily!)

I think getting to the QF would be a reasonable result for us. The likes of Spain, Holland and Germany are well ahead of us right now and I think we will exit as soon as we meet one of them.

Sorry to be so negative but, unless the draw is very kind to us, I just don't see us getting to the last four.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
siy2k5
May 14, 2012, 8:29pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
I'm supremely confident we will get further than we did at the last Euros

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
ginnywings
May 15, 2012, 8:14am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Will be surprised and delighted if we get beyond the group stage. Can't see anything but defeat to France and we haven't beaten Sweden for decades. Then just a simple matter of Ukraine on their own patch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Maringer
May 15, 2012, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GodHelpUs

Total nonsense. We aren't talking about the medical profession here...some of the best managers and coaches (many of them, in fact) have done best in their first job!

Some people seem to be thinking that Neville is some kind of tactical genius because he can state the blindingly obvious after watching a game with aid of a dozen replays. Oddly enough, people used to think the same about Andy Gray as well and he even wrote a book (probably ghosted?) about the history of tactics.

However, being able to to see what is happening in a game from a good viewing position in the studio and with the assistance of multiple replays isn't exactly an indication of genius - just because a lot of the pundits are clueless feckwits (Townsend, Redknapp and Shearer come to mind especially) doesn't mean they all have to be.

Neville may well turn out to be a decent coach but he certainly hasn't got the experience yet and touting his work in the media as an indication of ability is a bit of a stretch for me. I notice that Hodgson has referenced Neville's punditry on Sky but I reckon he's being smart here and is getting him on board as a PR move for both the press and the players, most of whom have never worked with Hodgson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Have expectations ever been so low?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.