TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 12, 2012, 1:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
According to Matt Lawton in The Mail -

"Brace yourselves for the final day of the finest season in 20 years of the Barclays Premier League."

If it's been so good, why is it that nobody I speak to could give a toss?  

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
mariner91
May 12, 2012, 3:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,785
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from NorfolkImp

That's not strictly true now is it?

Man City were always my 2nd team, since my uncle (RIP) took me to my first visit to Maine Road in 78' and I often wondered what I'd done wrong to deserve supporting perhaps the 2 worst teams in the Football League (relatively speaking on opposite ends of the scale) winning virtually nothing in my entire 37 footie supporting lifetime.

Btw: I still tune in to Radio Lincs and suffer the commentary of the BSP games most Saturday's (like many on here do Town) but won't pay £18 (plus fuel costs) to watch that garbage, so what's the problem ..... common sense surely?  

You seem a lot keener on them now they're good though. You certainly didn't use to go on about them on here all the time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
aldi_01
May 12, 2012, 5:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It's always over hyped and once again we've had a week of idiots talking as if the game didn't exist before sky came alon with scudamore and killed off the game...top many idiots sat behind big tvs and computers claimin to be a diehard Chelsea fan or utd fan yet couldn't tell you anything from before te birth of the prima Donna league or are completely unaware of anything outside the premiershite...

I shall be watching however, not really giving a excrement either way but the look on mark Hughes face when his team that have gotten even worse since he was brought in as the saviour and just shipped a sackful of goals to city and relegated will be a priceless moment...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
newfootballer
May 12, 2012, 5:40pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from ginnywings
No dispespect to you and your allegiance to Man City Dave, but the assertion that City fans are true Mancs is a crock of sh1te.

When they were a crap side in a crap stadium, no-one outside of Manchester was interested in them. Utd attracted fans from far and wide because they were successful and success attracts punters; always has, always will.

I go to Manchester quite a lot and over the last few years it has become noticable how many "Sky Blues" you now see in and around the city centre. A good portion of them are Asian and Oriental now and the more success they have, the more "outside" fans they will attract, just like Utd.

There's even a booth in the Sky Blues shop were you can denounce your team and swear allegiance to City, with a shirt burning ceromony. It was set up at the request of some disgruntled fans from Lincolnshire, led by someone called Arry or Arron or something similar sounding.

This last paragraph may, or may not be made up.

The reason that Man United attracted  a huge following from all over the country was the Munich air disaster when Man U lost practically three quarters of their football squad.

That was in 1957/58 but with the whole country backing them on they got to the FA final and I am not quite sure if it was Aston Villa a who beat them or whether it was Bolton Wanders, not sure.

The fact is that was when United started to get supporters coming from all over the country to watch them. They went from a team that was severly damaged into a world class European football team run of course by Matt Busby.

IT WAS THE MUNICH DISASTER THAT GOT ALL THE NON MANCS SUPPORTING MAN UNITED STARTING FROM THE EARLY SIXTIES.
newfootballer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
NoganKnowsBest
May 12, 2012, 6:59pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
I'm sorry dave but that is a mental comment. Most people don't support a football team out of sympathy (we'd have sh#t loads!!)
Under that premise, bradford and liverpool after (89-90 season) should have surely had a similar increase in popularity.
Personally, I always think that glory fans clearly have something missing in their lives if they have to support 'the winning team' as opposed to their local side. The correlation between an increase in fans and a clubs success is undeniable, sad as it is, no point constantly castigating them, just let em get on with it.

Ultimately, I will never believe than any of them will ever get the same feeling I got seeing Ruud Gullit stepping onto the hallowed turf, or two Wembley trips, or Tottenham, moments of euphoria they'll never truly experience, regardless of how 'excited' they get seeing there team pick up its nth trophy.

UTM!!!!!

What you gonna do when the hulkster runs wild on YOU?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 12, 2012, 7:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from newfootballer

The reason that Man United attracted  a huge following from all over the country was the Munich air disaster when Man U lost practically three quarters of their football squad.

That was in 1957/58 but with the whole country backing them on they got to the FA final and I am not quite sure if it was Aston Villa a who beat them or whether it was Bolton Wanders, not sure.

The fact is that was when United started to get supporters coming from all over the country to watch them. They went from a team that was severly damaged into a world class European football team run of course by Matt Busby.

IT WAS THE MUNICH DISASTER THAT GOT ALL THE NON MANCS SUPPORTING MAN UNITED STARTING FROM THE EARLY SIXTIES.
newfootballer

That's true Dave but Man U had a lot of non-Manchester support in the 1950s before Munich because they had the Babes team and they were the first side to really succeed in Europe. They represented England and there wasn't the same sort of hatred of other teams that there is now. As the one and only team in the European Cup virtually everyone wanted them to win.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
May 12, 2012, 7:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from NoganKnowsBest

Ultimately, I will never believe than any of them will ever get the same feeling I got seeing Ruud Gullit stepping onto the hallowed turf, or two Wembley trips, or Tottenham, moments of euphoria they'll never truly experience, regardless of how 'excited' they get seeing there team pick up its nth trophy.

UTM!!!!!

You can not experience the feeling of something like watching hearns goal go in the back of the net at Lincoln when you are watching on tv or not connected to the club. As I am only 16 the vast majority of young people in my year  support the top 4 clubs but I just think its games like Lincoln away this season which make you think I am honoured to support Grimsby and proud to  say that I am born here and have been bought up here. They can talk about how good their player  are but nothing will compare with supporting you're local club or the club from the Town you was born and bred in. It would be interesting to see if all of those Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea followers would be supporting them if they were in Towns position.  GTID.
Reply: 26 - 31
BottesfordMariner
May 12, 2012, 7:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I think Dave has a point to a degree. The Munich disaster played a part in the growth is support around the country for United. But equally so having a strike force of Best Law & Charlton and winning trophies throughout the 60's culminating in the European Cup was even more of a factor. Those 3 are amongst THE greatest ever players from the UK or indeed the world- all in the same team at the same time. That would have made United  very attractive to young lads growing up back then and that's coming from a Blue.

My 4 older brothers are all reds so if City do it tomorrow i shall be a happy man. When the Sheikh money came in i was one of those who felt My City had lost its identity and it wasn't really my club anymore. I was a City season ticket holder for many years but in recent times i have preferred 'real footballl' at BP to the big money Premier League. But i'll tell you what if City  are champions tommorrow ..to quote a former manager...' i would love, just love it, if we did THEM'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
NoganKnowsBest
May 12, 2012, 7:28pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
make that 3 wembley trips. I tried forgetting that last one, Danny Boshell..... Danny Bullsh#t

u can throw the millenium stadium game in with the last wembley one. OK so not always moments of euphoria.

What you gonna do when the hulkster runs wild on YOU?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
NorfolkImp
May 13, 2012, 9:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 1739

You can not experience the feeling of something like watching hearns goal go in the back of the net at Lincoln when you are watching on tv or not connected to the club. As I am only 16 the vast majority of young people in my year  support the top 4 clubs but I just think its games like Lincoln away this season which make you think I am honoured to support Grimsby and proud to  say that I am born here and have been bought up here. They can talk about how good their player  are but nothing will compare with supporting you're local club or the club from the Town you was born and bred in. It would be interesting to see if all of those Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea followers would be supporting them if they were in Towns position.  GTID.

I can assure you that won't be the case today if history is made ..... must dash  

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › CANNOT WAIT FOR SUNDAY, THE TRUEMANCS DAY

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.