Googlebot and 65 Guests

S&H Q&A

This thread currently has 4,066 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
May 11, 2012, 4:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

To be fair to them they brought Hearn in and persuaded him to join Town - seems a bit unfair to suggest that they wouldn't be capable of finding a replacement.

A fair point but it's not easy ! If you're talking about the best players I'd be thinking of a ratio more like 10/90.  

Also think we need to give it a little time before we rush to judgement.
Even Hearn wasn't an instant success when he first came.
But no-one was getting on his back straight away because most seemed to think he would eventually deliver.

No doubt we'll be pumped up ready to go first game of the season but chances are we probably won't be fully gelled.
It takes SOME time,
If the knives are to come out (let's hope there's no need !) I just hope that in light of last season they don't come out TOO soon.

As for the Q&A I felt a tiny bit disappointed.

They seem keen to stick to their guns about "we will always play the players that are performing at that current time regardless" even though I'Anson left because "Charlie wasn't happy here due to his lack of 1st team games"

Understand they're the ones seeing players in training but when players come in and do ok(and in I'Anson case offered a contract) doesn't it perhaps make you wonder whether players aren't performing as hard as they should because they know they probably won't get in anyway ?
So much for the evils of squad rotation, perhaps there's a bigger picture to consider ?
They say ""we cannot expect the players to be working at 100% all of the time during training".
Does a simlar principle extend to sticking with the same players for every game ?

As for the rest, they gave some good concise answers but didn't give a lot away.

Interesting they say...
- "man management" is one of their skills. (not doubting it, maybe it is)
- "Budgets are something that should only be discussed between the managers and chairman". It's hasn't been the case before ?
- "commitment to improvement".

They say they've got enough to achieve promotion but I wouldn't expect anything less.
I get the impression (perhaps similar to the Swansea issue in part 1) they like 4-3-3 but they're not sure if they've got enough time.
Reply: 20 - 34
siy2k5
May 11, 2012, 10:16pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
I disagree re hearn 80s, I thought he played really well for the first 10 games (that I saw) and it was a case of when, not if, he started banging the goals in.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
moosey_club
May 11, 2012, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from oldun
It will be no tougher for them than the other managers inBSP

Would say its a lot harder for them with the whining supporters we have that seem to think we have a divine right to be in The Championship or League 1 at worst.
Additional pressure to deliver from the terraces and the boardroom cannot help the cause.
A good number of teams in this league are chuffed to be at this level so they dont necessarily get the pressure and have time to develop gradually.
The supporters will have their filleting knives out by October if we start slowly again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
80sglory
May 11, 2012, 11:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from siy2k5
I disagree re hearn 80s, I thought he played really well for the first 10 games (that I saw) and it was a case of when, not if, he started banging the goals in.

Yeah totally agree, that was my point really.

When I said "instant success" I really should have said "didn't instantly bang the goals in".

Thanks for pointing that out.

Reply: 23 - 34
siy2k5
May 12, 2012, 7:59am
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from 1600

Yeah totally agree, that was my point really.

When I said "instant success" I really should have said "didn't instantly bang the goals in".

Thanks for pointing that out.

Oki fair enough, I misread what you meant

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
barralad
May 12, 2012, 8:29am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from cod.gtfc

Looks like at the end of last season we only had 12 players (13 including Connell) on the books, 2 of which were transfer listed and 3 of which were first year pros.

Arthur, Wood, Kempson, Garner, I'Anson, Ridley, Coulson, Thanoj, Eagle, Makofo, Duffy, Mulready, Connell (sold for 6 figures). Unless am missing anyone?

5 of those were released during the season, and 2 have turned new contracts down, leaving only Wood and Makofo from that retained list.

I'd say we are in a better position now than the end of last season due to all the players bar 2 (one of which they are trying to get ird off) are now theirs, and pretty much position for position the players on this season retained list are better than the ones on last years retained list.

Mckeown, Wood, Miller, Pearson, Disley, Thanoj, Artus, Soares, Makofo, Hearn, Elding, Southwell.

I accept what you say. I guess I've muddied the waters by complicating my argument. I just think there would be room for more optimism if we weren't looking for another half doizen players to replace those deemed lacking. Midfield has been a problem for 10 years. I think with the exit of Coulson we could actually be in a worse position now than in 2011.  Our experience thus far and the weight of expectation on Scott and Hurst suggest virtually no room for manoevre. Another players gelling based poor start would really put the cat amongst the pigeons. I wouldn't bet against the managerial merry-go-round taking another turn in those circumstances. Only time will tell,,,,,,

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
cod.gtfc
May 12, 2012, 9:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from barralad

I accept what you say. I guess I've muddied the waters by complicating my argument. I just think there would be room for more optimism if we weren't looking for another half doizen players to replace those deemed lacking. Midfield has been a problem for 10 years. I think with the exit of Coulson we could actually be in a worse position now than in 2011.  Our experience thus far and the weight of expectation on Scott and Hurst suggest virtually no room for manoevre. Another players gelling based poor start would really put the cat amongst the pigeons. I wouldn't bet against the managerial merry-go-round taking another turn in those circumstances. Only time will tell,,,,,,

I sort of agree with you, in that were not in the position many of us thought we would be. We have only 12 players on the books and looked at 6-7 signings whereas most of us thought we would need only 3-4 signings and the majority of the squad would still be here.

However I still feel we are in a better position than last year for the reasons mentioned above even if we are not in the position many fans wanted us to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Meza
May 12, 2012, 9:30am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
I thought it nice for the managers to take time out and answer questions from the fans, it just shows how much they care about our club, and the fans.  It will be interesting to see who joins in the summer especially with so many players out of contract.  You can sort of see the type players they may sign.  A midfielder similar to Disley and Artus but can get a few goals and a target man maybe someone like ex Darlington striker Liam Hatch.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
upthestripes
May 12, 2012, 1:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from Meza
it just shows how much they care about our club, and the fans.

With respect Meza, I think they care about their careers and that's about it. Not to say there's anything wrong in that.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
voice of reason
May 12, 2012, 2:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from upthestripes

With respect Meza, I think they care about their careers and that's about it. Not to say there's anything wrong in that.

Exactly... There is far too many gullible people on here... They take Scott's outbursts as passion for the club, in reality, the passion is doing well for himself and I guess Hurst is the same...

Like you, I don't think there is anything wrong with that but it amazes me how many people get sucked in by it...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › S&H Q&A

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.