This thread currently has 12,466 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
October 23, 2011, 10:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We have had a few so called "one-off" in recent times and with Ashington, then Bath city next up don't rule another one out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 165
barralad
October 23, 2011, 10:50am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600

Really where did he say that ?

In the Radio interview with John Tondeur after the game.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 165
barralad
October 23, 2011, 10:52am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from oldun
We have had a few so called "one-off" in recent times and with Ashington, then Bath city next up don't rule another one out

Always a risk in cup matches...Ask Tottenham.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 165
grimsby pete
October 23, 2011, 10:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from barralad

We might have the effort but not everyone on this board wanted to see bags more effort at the expense of at least some skill. Genuine question: (Because I don't want to get into any petty slanging matches....) Aren't you just a touch worried that even with the effort we seem to be struggling a bit for results? If you have the skill but don't have the effort then managers can get that. If you have the effort then I'm not sure many managers can "coach in" what God in his wisdom has left out.....

I want to see SKILL + EFFORT then we might get out of this league,

BUT

I am happy visiting these friendly little clubs, so if we can win more than we lose,

I will be content,

How's  your back Ian, missed you at Ebbsfleet.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 165
barralad
October 23, 2011, 11:10am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimsby pete

I want to see SKILL + EFFORT then we might get out of this league,

BUT

I am happy visiting these friendly little clubs, so if we can win more than we lose,

I will be content,

How's  your back Ian, missed you at Ebbsfleet.

As Pseudonym said: Why should I worry. I only have one bad back.........

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 165
RoboCod
October 23, 2011, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from barralad

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. The Chasetown defeat had absolutely no importance as regards our league position or form. It was a one off game with admittedly a huge embarassment factor but that's where it should have ended. In every single cup competition I've taken notice of since I started watching football in the sixties there have been shock results. Normally these are quickly forgotten which is exactly how it should be. Unfortunately our chairman probably agreed with you and others and it is a contributing factor to where we are now. Another knee-jerk reaction in a decade of similar gestures....

But that's taking the actual result as the embarrassment factor. Yes it was shocking but I can live with the odd embarrassing result after all we've dished some out over the years. No, it was the total lack of effort and commitment on the day. While not connected to our league position I disagree that it had no bearing on our form. In the run up to the game we'd won 3, scoring SIXTEEN goals, then followed by two defeats in which we scored NONE. Chasetown was next and surely stood out as THE game for Grimsby to show everyone just which team they were going to be, the high-scoring winners or the blank sheet losers. An ideal chance for players to fight for their shirts against lowly opposition and put in a performance regardless of the final result. For me that answer was delivered, like a slap in the face, to Town fans with a gutless performance and the end of any possible success and extra money. After Chasetown the form had settled, we won just 6 games out of the remaining 22 games.
Which is why, imo, Woods was sacked rather than the single Chasetown display, and why the Ashington game SHOULD be bigged up, pressure SHOULD be put on the players to go out and give it their absolute best. As long as we do that I'll be happy, win, draw or lose.  
My opinion only, others may see it differently but I think the entire character of the team and management is at stake for this game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 165
barralad
October 23, 2011, 11:50am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from RoboCod

But that's taking the actual result as the embarrassment factor. Yes it was shocking but I can live with the odd embarrassing result after all we've dished some out over the years. No, it was the total lack of effort and commitment on the day. While not connected to our league position I disagree that it had no bearing on our form. In the run up to the game we'd won 3, scoring SIXTEEN goals, then followed by two defeats in which we scored NONE. Chasetown was next and surely stood out as THE game for Grimsby to show everyone just which team they were going to be, the high-scoring winners or the blank sheet losers. An ideal chance for players to fight for their shirts against lowly opposition and put in a performance regardless of the final result. For me that answer was delivered, like a slap in the face, to Town fans with a gutless performance and the end of any possible success and extra money. After Chasetown the form had settled, we won just 6 games out of the remaining 22 games.
Which is why, imo, Woods was sacked rather than the single Chasetown display, and why the Ashington game SHOULD be bigged up, pressure SHOULD be put on the players to go out and give it their absolute best. As long as we do that I'll be happy, win, draw or lose.  
My opinion only, others may see it differently but I think the entire character of the team and management is at stake for this game.

Which, considering Woods departure was in February (and he won two of the six with Dave Moore winning two more) sort of proves my point.  Our two results after Chasetown resulted in a win and a draw (against the team that romped away with the league.) Something doesn't quite add up. The pressure was on from some quarters because we were drawing games that on paper we should have won. That is a scenario that I begrudgingly accepted never thinking that we'd be able to storm back to the Football League in one go. John Fenty and the board succumbed to that pressure to the detriment of us all.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 165
black belt
October 23, 2011, 11:50am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from RoboCod
I find the harking back to Woods dumbfounding. Makofo is getting stick for poor performances yet he was signed by Woods on a 3 year deal. He was listed but no one wanted him, now he's taking up a shirt and a wage through no fault of the new managers. Same goes for Eagle who has had more than enough time to nail down a regular spot but was just as hopeless last night.

It's all very good being critical with hindsight but had I personally known that Fenty would pull the rug from under the club, aided by Parker then I would have probably have kept Woods for the simple sake of keeping the ship steady. All well and good questioning S&H's ability in this league but nobody told them they'd be managing a club with no chairman and a major shares war would break out. The aquisition of these two has been shown to have been a last gasp, high risk gamble by Fenty that, as usual, has not worked out. Not as yet. We need to stick it out with them, though we are painfully short of a couple of quality players and no money to remedy that problem. It's gonna be a bumpy and rough ride but we need January here and some careful and measured loanees, more importantly some players going OUT.

You are missing the point.

Woods might have signed Makofo but its s&h who are picking him now not woods,so ask yourself why i will tell you its because they have blown the budget signing players who are not good enough some on inflated wages.

They are out of their depth and all scott does is come out with a load of crap to try and divert attention from the crap way we play and the results we are getting. face facts we are going nowhere under these two clowns and for some people to suggest giving them 2/3 years to get it right what a joke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 165
TAGG
October 23, 2011, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from barralad

Quoted from pontoonlew
Hilarious, it's like saying if Rooney didn't score then United would be a mid-table side. You cant just take somebodys goals away from a game because you want to claim we are excrement, intercourse me  

Not trying to single you out but wasn't that post in response to one claiming that without Connel's goals last season we'd have gone down?

Yes it was well spotted mate.  
Shame others can’t spot that

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 165
RoboCod
October 23, 2011, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from barralad

Which, considering Woods departure was in February (and he won two of the six with Dave Moore winning two more) sort of proves my point.  Our two results after Chasetown resulted in a win and a draw (against the team that romped away with the league.) Something doesn't quite add up. The pressure was on from some quarters because we were drawing games that on paper we should have won. That is a scenario that I begrudgingly accepted never thinking that we'd be able to storm back to the Football League in one go. John Fenty and the board succumbed to that pressure to the detriment of us all.

I have to say in all honesty I'd have settled for Dave Moore until the seasons end. It's all conjecture as to whether Woods should have stayed, for me he shouldn't BUT it was a very ill-thought out and every decision since then looks to have been made on the hoof, Moore would have settles us until the seasons end, a very good time to pick managers as they're not necessarily tied to other clubs contracts, clauses can be triggered and discussions made over a few weeks to ensure a good outcome for all parties. And potential  managers-in-talks aren't a step from Wembley, causing them to have second thoughts and stay put.
But you see, though we're on slightly different frequencies the outcome is the same, and that is the Chairman bodged the whole process one way or another.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 165
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › scott lost the plot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.