Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › scott lost the plot
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 143 Guests

scott lost the plot

This thread currently has 12,469 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
October 22, 2011, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from barralad

We might have the effort but not everyone on this board wanted to see bags more effort at the expense of at least some skill. Genuine question: (Because I don't want to get into any petty slanging matches....) Aren't you just a touch worried that even with the effort we seem to be struggling a bit for results? If you have the skill but don't have the effort then managers can get that. If you have the effort then I'm not sure many managers can "coach in" what God in his wisdom has left out.....

Are we struggling for results that badly though or is it the weekly Fishy overeaction? Did we expect a result at York? I certainly didn't, though I was happy with the performance we gave. The past two have been poor performances but again was a win against Luton expected? But we have scored good wins against Hayes & Yeading, Alfreton, Barrow, Kettering, Cambridge and Forest Green. Those are the sort of games we'd be losing/drawing last season literally through lack of effort. We sit 15th and to be fair, I didn't expect a fair deal more. This season was always about re-building and it would be silly to think we could just storm the league, it's taken York, Mansfield and Wrexham YEARS to get to where they are. York and Wrexham are looking good bets, both gave their managers time.

In the effort department, sides can work off 4-5 good players and 7 other grafters, it works a lot and with a budget that's sometimes the best way to go. One decent keeper, center back, central midfielder, winger and striker can go a long way, I'd say we're two players off having that. The pace issue at the back is a big one and i'm hoping it'll be sorted in January.

I accept people don't like it and it's hard to be able to say 'be patient' after the shite we've been put through. But some good signs are there and it's just logic for us to say; give it a bit of time. Because it really wont work any other way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 165
Super Clive
October 22, 2011, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from marinette

True enough.

Also heard Scott say last night (on the radio) that there is something very wrong with our club and that other managers had said the same in the past so it's definitely true.  Well that's too wishy washy for me and it stinks.  What is this 'something'??  If you can at least identify it, Mr Scott, then somebody somewhere can perhaps put it right.  But while it remains a mysterious, unidentified, nameless will o' the wisp type entity, I suspect you are floundering, looking for any excuse you can think of, and getting more and more desperate to save both your face and your job.  

Not saying that these two should lose their jobs either, but I have completely lost interest in the football now - I just go to see my friends.  I don't really care too much if we win, lose or draw - it's boring football with graceless, ungentlemanly and uncouth management, in my opinion.

There, I've said it.

Probably for the best, Lets face it you have never liked Mr Scott from day one.

Don't wait up.

Edit... Quoted post been deleted
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 165
marinette
October 22, 2011, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Super Clive

Probably for the best, Lets face it you have never liked Mr Scott from day one.

Don't wait up.

Edit... Quoted post been deleted

Au contraire, I have always liked Mr Scott much better than Mr Hurst.  And I like both of them better than Mr Newell.  But one can go off people, you know.  Anyway, I'm not sure that my likes and dislikes matter too much in the general scheme of things.

Ignore me, I've had a bad week.

Private Message
Reply: 122 - 165
Super Clive
October 22, 2011, 9:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinette

Au contraire, I have always liked Mr Scott much better than Mr Hurst.  And I like both of them better than Mr Newell.  But one can go off people, you know.  Anyway, I'm not sure that my likes and dislikes matter too much in the general scheme of things.

Ignore me, I've had a bad week.

No they don't but what ever happened to mariner for life? Jump ship when the going gets tough.
Jumping on the Man city bandwagon no doubt.

Shame you don't care if we lose, Fickle comes to mind. If we ever get a change in fortunes you will be back, with you're incorrect stats...

Two words.

Andy Gray.

Private Message
Reply: 123 - 165
RoboCod
October 22, 2011, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from barralad

I was pretty much with your line of thinking until this post. The issue (although entirely academic-what's done is done etc.) is that had Woods stayed on to the end of last season which given any justice he should have done, we would in all probability have been looking at at best changing players in a couple of positions to build on a "top ten" finish this season. Sacking Woods effectively condemned us to at least one more season down here and probably even more. Imagine if some of the money we've paid out for new players this season had been available for some of the positions we needed to strengthen last year? Nothing I have seen this season suggests that what we currently have player-wise are just going to gel as a matter of course. IF we finish 15th. it would suggest that we'd need to change more positions and so it goes on....A top ten finish last season may well have convinced a few more fans that the springboard had been activated for a decent push for the play-offs this season. Instead we got all the doubts and concerns that having a pretty new squad turns up.

I could almost go along with that except for the Chasetown event. Other games too, where we lost to smaller teams who had not much more than enthusiasm but held us off comfortably and beat us. Those defeats are polarised into the game at Chasetown, a single game that summed us up and left me completely untrusting of a Woods managed team. To then get in two non-league savvy managers with a good record at the lower leagues seemed a logical step. But then I make a right turn into Fentyville, and wonder just how far back he started formulating his plans to step down and start the countdown to critical mass of this club. Where these his plans, or at least  possible future options when Woods was sacked?  If these thoughts were in his mind at all then he should have kept Woods and kept the club as stable as possible instead of throwing his final chips onto a gamble with new managers and the new players in/old players out and all that goes with a new management team. Had the club been ticking along ok for this season then S&H would, as I believed, have been a good choice and had this season to find their feet. Wer'e not ticking along, wer'e not financially secure at all and we have no chairman at the helm.

Now i wonder if Scott and Hurst would even have been interested in the  job if they'd known what the Chairman who 'head hunted' them would do just a quarter of the way into their precarious first term.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 165
80sglory
October 22, 2011, 9:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from voice of reason
Now the latest from Scotts gob is it'll take them 3 years to build something capable of challenging, not the realistically we should be challenging for the play-offs this season that they came out with in pre-season...

Really where did he say that ?

Quoted from voice of reason
NW's team was capable of passing, albeit too slow most of the time to hurt the opposition, this team cannot pass at all... NW's team was better at defending set peices and better at defending in general in my opinion, although we was way off what it should have been... The midfield is still a problem like it was with NW although Disley is at least more capable than most we've had in CM... The threat from the wings has been poor this season and whilst it wasn't great with NW, it was better in my opinion...

Some good points, I tend to agree with you.

But you see, I thought Woods choice of tactics weren't great but these 2 just seem to be playing to our weaknesses and not rectifying them MOST of the time.

Ironically that's what gives me hope we can do better IF they can sort it out(hopefully soon), along with the defence etc.

But yes, I won't defend the same deficiences or mistakes forever.

Quoted from TAGG
I know this.What I was trying to say was you cant change history by taking things out to make a point.
As I said look at last season at this time and its a fact that we were in a lot better place than we are now.  

True but Woods form dipped later and there's this argument S&H have been slightly unlucky so far ?
tbh I don't particularly buy it, but if we're gonna talk stats(which I never like doing either tbh) how about we compare them over a similar period of time ?

Quoted from oldun
Looking back is all academic folks. We are where we are and need to look to the coming few games to put a few things right.

I agree.
Let's just see how we go game by game ?
Reply: 125 - 165
voice of reason
October 22, 2011, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from pontoonlew

I love how last time I totally embarrased your 'points' you just didn't reply.

Anyway, every single person on this board was discontent about effort last season, I am yet to see a single post claiming we lack effort so yes it is an asset! Woods had it easy, these guys have had to re-build and that takes time, why do you disagree that we need time? We aren't going down and i'm yet to look at the table and feel we are in danger of doing so. Until I do, I wont be calling for any heads because mid-table is totally satisfying this season.

Apologies if i've missed a post aimed at me, re-post it and i'll have a go at answring it without embarassing myself...

You may not have seen a post knocking effort but I certainly have after Braintree and Ebbsfleet at the very least... Then of course we have the managers themselves apologising 3 times for the lack of effort...

I don't disagree that managers need time, these have had enough to at least show some positives and they have failed, don't forget they asked to judged after 15 games...

Woods had it easy...??? Erm, can you explain why he had it easy...???

If you don't see any danger then I think you need to open your eyes... With all this effort and commitment we now have, we have managed to amass 6 victories and 20 points so far this season... That is less than Woods' slackers last season...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 165
80sglory
October 22, 2011, 10:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from RoboCod
But then I make a right turn into Fentyville, and wonder just how far back he started formulating his plans to step down and start the countdown to critical mass of this club. Where these his plans, or at least  possible future options when Woods was sacked?  If these thoughts were in his mind at all then he should have kept Woods and kept the club as stable as possible instead of throwing his final chips onto a gamble with new managers and the new players in/old players out and all that goes with a new management team. Had the club been ticking along ok for this season then S&H would, as I believed, have been a good choice and had this season to find their feet. wer'e not ticking along, wer'e not financially secure at all and we have no chairman at the helm.

I think it's a good analysis and guess you're very close to the truth.

But it's just occured to me, could "Throwing his chips onto a gamble" be due to his "Up and at em" thinking in the BSP as the way forward ?
Or was that perhaps the smokescreen for a move towards a reduced playing budget in the longer term under younger players ?
All sunday league players know that playing the long ball is a great leveller for skill...
Reply: 127 - 165
Super Clive
October 23, 2011, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
I also agree with the game by game.

Its going to be a stop and start season until we get two proper decent wingers and a pacey LB(Green if fit) also another CB with pace to go alongside Kempo/garner or Pearson and get rid of one of the 3, Although charile has a bit of pace, I would not play him week in week out as we need experience at the back.

Either way I'm sticking with my club what ever happens marinette

Typical women.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 165
barralad
October 23, 2011, 10:47am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from RoboCod

I could almost go along with that except for the Chasetown event. Other games too, where we lost to smaller teams who had not much more than enthusiasm but held us off comfortably and beat us. Those defeats are polarised into the game at Chasetown, a single game that summed us up and left me completely untrusting of a Woods managed team. To then get in two non-league savvy managers with a good record at the lower leagues seemed a logical step. But then I make a right turn into Fentyville, and wonder just how far back he started formulating his plans to step down and start the countdown to critical mass of this club. Where these his plans, or at least  possible future options when Woods was sacked?  If these thoughts were in his mind at all then he should have kept Woods and kept the club as stable as possible instead of throwing his final chips onto a gamble with new managers and the new players in/old players out and all that goes with a new management team. Had the club been ticking along ok for this season then S&H would, as I believed, have been a good choice and had this season to find their feet. Wer'e not ticking along, wer'e not financially secure at all and we have no chairman at the helm.

Now i wonder if Scott and Hurst would even have been interested in the  job if they'd known what the Chairman who 'head hunted' them would do just a quarter of the way into their precarious first term.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. The Chasetown defeat had absolutely no importance as regards our league position or form. It was a one off game with admittedly a huge embarassment factor but that's where it should have ended. In every single cup competition I've taken notice of since I started watching football in the sixties there have been shock results. Normally these are quickly forgotten which is exactly how it should be. Unfortunately our chairman probably agreed with you and others and it is a contributing factor to where we are now. Another knee-jerk reaction in a decade of similar gestures....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 165
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › scott lost the plot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.