July 14, 2011, 4:00pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
What is the best beer you've ever had?

From the UK:

Batemans XXXB or Adnams Broadside for me.

Overseas:

La Chouffe, which is a spiced strong brew from Belgium or a Weihenstephaner Korbinian, which is a Double Bock strong beer from Germany.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
July 14, 2011, 7:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Burton Bridge ale in the bar of the Burton Bridge brewery and a current favourite is York Brewery "Guzzler".Could drink gallons of the stuff.They have it in the No 2 now and again.

Samuel Adams from Boston is nice (that's the Boston in the States) but i haven't seen any for a while.Used to get it from Small Beer.Also like some Belgian beers like Duvell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
jock dock tower
July 14, 2011, 7:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
If you're a real ale lover, then if you ever get the opportunity to sample Marston's Old Empire IPA. It's definitely not a session beer (it's about 6.7%) but it's absolutely superb. Used to love the Bateman's Triple X in the old Swashbuckle before I moved north in 1991, and how they used to call it "Big Boy's beer" as opposed to the ordinary Bateman's "Small boy's beer"
The Younger's number 3 under the clock when Noel had it was an absolute joy, but my favourite in Grimsby, any time, any place, any where, had to the Bass in Billy Cairns's. I used to have mouthgasms supping that.....

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
conscorner
July 14, 2011, 7:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +300
Gold Stars: 3
I would have to go back to the days when the majority of pubs in Grimsby/Cleethorpes served Stones/Worthy E keg bitter. As JDT says, the Bass in Cairns's and the Tiv was a lovely pint, but my all time favourite has to go to the Crow's Nest, Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter when the Cockerills ran the pub - superb beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
Paddymariner
July 14, 2011, 8:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
What is the best beer you've ever had?

From the UK:

Batemans XXXB or Adnams Broadside for me.
Overseas:

La Chouffe, which is a spiced strong brew from Belgium or a Weihenstephaner Korbinian, which is a Double Bock strong beer from Germany.

Good call MDT's. Those two are among my faves along with Gales HSB from Portsmouth (now brewed by Fullers in Chiswick), St Austell HSD and Doombar from Rock. If none of those are available, I'd probably go for a Peroni or Stella or Red Stripe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
kingofthekippers
July 14, 2011, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from jock dock tower
If you're a real ale lover, then if you ever get the opportunity to sample Marston's Old Empire IPA. It's definitely not a session beer (it's about 6.7%) but it's absolutely superb. Used to love the Bateman's Triple X in the old Swashbuckle before I moved north in 1991, and how they used to call it "Big Boy's beer" as opposed to the ordinary Bateman's "Small boy's beer"
The Younger's number 3 under the clock when Noel had it was an absolute joy, but my favourite in Grimsby, any time, any place, any where, had to the Bass in Billy Cairns's. I used to have mouthgasms supping that.....

I never tried it JDT but there is a small independent brewery up your way called 'Brewdog' which I have to admit may not be to your taste as it brands itself 'Beer for punks' (I may be wrong ) but it makes a line of stronger lagers and challenges the awfulness of most commercial beers but I wonder if you've ever tried it or heard people talk about it?

I only ask because they are a young business looking to expand and are offering a chance to buy a share in them (don't tut). My reckoning is that if I'm going to put my money anywhere I'd like to back the small man against the beer barons.

[url]http://www.brewdog.com/beer[/url]

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
Les Brechin
July 14, 2011, 9:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,737
Gold Stars: 174
Sharps Doom Bar beer brewed in Cornwall is a great session beer. You couldn't get it round here until recently apart from the occasional beer festival but just recently they have started selling it in The County in Brighowgate which just happens to be the pub where I play pool from.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Paddymariner
July 14, 2011, 9:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from Les Brechin
Sharps Doom Bar beer brewed in Cornwall is a great session beer. You couldn't get it round here until recently apart from the occasional beer festival but just recently they have started selling it in The County in Brighowgate which just happens to be the pub where I play pool from.

Really nice pint. My local in Norwich sells it at £3.10 a pint which all the locals moan about. Fact is, I went to Padstow which is about 10 miles from the Rock brewery and it was £3.70 a pint. How much is it in the County, Les?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
Les Brechin
July 14, 2011, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,737
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Paddymariner

Really nice pint. My local in Norwich sells it at £3.10 a pint which all the locals moan about. Fact is, I went to Padstow which is about 10 miles from the Rock brewery and it was £3.70 a pint. How much is it in the County, Les?

£1.99 mate. All day, every day.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
conscorner
July 14, 2011, 10:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +300
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin
Sharps Doom Bar beer brewed in Cornwall is a great session beer.

Sampled this one at a pub near Twerton Park, Bath when Town went there last season (think it was The Crown?) - not a bad pint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
Japers
July 14, 2011, 11:02pm

ABsaid put it in corner,thought meant top corner
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +13
Kelt in Prague was nice.
always enjoy the hobgoblin range Wychwood brewery stuff.

The boss told me to put it in the corner.....i thought he meant the top corner.
Jim Dobbin after 1-0 victory at Newcastle wonder strike
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
moosey_club
July 14, 2011, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.69
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Dont think i have a rock solid favourite as different moods call for different beers, just love sampling anything i have not tried before. Regular bottled/ canned choices though do include;

Old Peculiar (sold just about everywhere)
Mackeson's Stout (sold just about everywhere also)
Treacle Stout (rythym and booze on the main road regularly have it)
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout (not sure they make that anymore though, last time i saw any was in Cambridge!!)
Sleck Dust brewed over on the northbank (ASDA stock it, light and refreshing)

I am lucky enough to travel with work so visit plenty of regions and get to taste plenty of beers whilst en route but when you return home you are kind of restricted to, Willys and the No.2, for any real variance in ales plus the Click'em Inn if you can get a sucker to drive. The others that stock ales are usually on a cycle and you end up with the "Landlord, Black Sheep and Greene King" variety.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Biccys
July 15, 2011, 8:09am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27

Amen to that, it's sold in Tesco in bottles. When I first tasted it it took me right back to the first time I ever drank a proper beer. I've no idea what it was but it definitely reminded me of it.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 47
bladerunnner
July 15, 2011, 9:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
just getting into "real ale" after years of drinking lager and cider!!!!..................that marstons old empire is great as is batemans xxxb, i can remember years ago as a young pup having a pint of "double diamond" in the cricketers and can honestly say it was the best pint of beer iv'e ever tasted. i find that £1.60 a bottle for most beers in the supermarkets is a bit of a pis.stake,although newky brown was a quid in tesco last week......................heres an idea, lets start a "beer watch" thread on here where we can post news of cheap ale offers?

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
jock dock tower
July 15, 2011, 9:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

Amen to that, it's sold in Tesco in bottles. When I first tasted it it took me right back to the first time I ever drank a proper beer. I've no idea what it was but it definitely reminded me of it.

I've also found it in Morrisons, but the draught Old Empire is pure heaven. Very easy to drink, but at 6.7% you do have to be very careful not to over indulge.
By the way, you also get some wonderful ciders nowadays - and nothing that you "put over fuc king ice" what kind of abomination is that? Am going to the Wickerman Festival next weekend and will be taking with me copious amounts of Thatchers (never . EVER, thought I'd love something called that!!!) and my favourite, Weston's Special Reserve at a cool 8.2%. Although it's not organic, it's brewed as proper ciders should be and is only very mildly effervescent. Most supermarkets have it on offer at either 2 bottles for £3 or 3 bottles for £4. If you haven't tried it, or drink the likes of Strongbow, for God's sake try this, you'll become a convert immediately.
KOTK, I'll find out what the punky thing is, sounds very interesting. BTW, saw the Damned, Pistols, Clash, 999, Sham, Stiff Little Fingers, and most of the other top punk bands, so why might I not like it?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
ginnywings
July 15, 2011, 9:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from bladerunnner
just getting into "real ale" after years of drinking lager and cider!!!!..................that marstons old empire is great as is batemans xxxb, i can remember years ago as a young pup having a pint of "double diamond" in the cricketers and can honestly say it was the best pint of beer iv'e ever tasted. i find that £1.60 a bottle for most beers in the supermarkets is a bit of a pis.stake,although newky brown was a quid in tesco last week......................heres an idea, lets start a "beer watch" thread on here where we can post news of cheap ale offers?

It's not about the price for me.

Quality costs and i don't mind paying for it.If i wanted cheap beer i'd drink crappy Tetleys or some such bilgewater,like Newcy Brown.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
jungleland
July 15, 2011, 10:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +124

timothy taylors  landlord in the spiders is good .. but my fav @ the minute is old hooky  sell that in the clicl em inn nr binbrook   and they get some great guest beers in ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
bladerunnner
July 15, 2011, 11:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
Quoted from ginnywings

It's not about the price for me.

Quality costs and i don't mind paying for it.If i wanted cheap beer i'd drink crappy Tetleys or some such bilgewater,like Newcy Brown.

strewth!!!!! your'e a "beer snob" as well then? whats wrong with newky brown? your'e not one of those moaning old b.astards that sit "tutting" in the tilted barrel are you?

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
jock dock tower
July 15, 2011, 12:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from bladerunnner

strewth!!!!! your'e a "beer snob" as well then? whats wrong with newky brown? your'e not one of those moaning old b.astards that sit "tutting" in the tilted barrel are you?

snobs drink Newcastle Brown out of half pint glasses.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
kingofthekippers
July 15, 2011, 8:17pm
Vodka Drinker

KOTK, I'll find out what the punky thing is, sounds very interesting. BTW, saw the Damned, Pistols, Clash, 999, Sham, Stiff Little Fingers, and most of the other top punk bands, so why might I not like it?

Nothing personal, I have an image of you in your fifties but when I think about it the late seventies was the era of your youth (and that isn't supposed to sound as patronising as it does but sorry if it is) so search for the punk and let me know. From the way they market themselves they certainly seem different.

[url]http://www.brewdog.com/media/downloads/wallpapers/1600x1200/desktop_revolution.jpg[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
samg
July 15, 2011, 8:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from jungleland

timothy taylors  landlord in the spiders is good .. but my fav @ the minute is old hooky  sell that in the clicl em inn nr binbrook   and they get some great guest beers in ...

Been in there a few times mate - know Terry the landlord well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
samg
July 15, 2011, 8:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jungleland

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
moosey_club
July 15, 2011, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingofthekippers

Nothing personal, I have an image of you in your fifties but when I think about it the late seventies was the era of your youth (and that isn't supposed to sound as patronising as it does but sorry if it is) so search for the punk and let me know. From the way they market themselves they certainly seem different.

[url]http://www.brewdog.com/media/downloads/wallpapers/1600x1200/desktop_revolution.jpg[/url]

You can buy the pale ale in Tesco, did not linger long in my memory as being anything special.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
ponnyfan
July 15, 2011, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
UK - Caffreys

Abroad - Kwak (Belgium)

Strongest - mountain Raki in Crete

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
jock dock tower
July 15, 2011, 11:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from kingofthekippers

22 when the Anarchy tour hit the road!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
kingofthekippers
July 15, 2011, 11:36pm
Vodka Drinker

22 when the Anarchy tour hit the road!

I was 4. TBH I was more into Sally and Jake, Pipkins and Jamie and the Magic Torch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
EarAche
July 16, 2011, 12:33am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +9
Wainwrights beer is a favourite of mine along with Brains SA. My local has recently had Waggle Dance on which was a good pint. Currently consuming a stockpile of Manx Beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
jock dock tower
July 16, 2011, 11:57am
Special Brew Drinker
I remember, way back in the "good old days" am sure it was the 80's when some brewer had a couple of non politically correct ales on in the Hope and Anchor if I remember properly, namely Gandhi's Flip Flops, and Docker's Jockstrap. Does anybody else the Telewag reporting this, or is my mind playing hallucinatory tricks in my dotage?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
jungleland
July 16, 2011, 3:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from samg

sam is that the new super slim size terry   D ?    he is a good lad but  tends to favour the fawlty towers style of customer service
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
samg
July 16, 2011, 7:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jungleland

sam is that the new super slim size terry   D ?    he is a good lad but  tends to favour the fawlty towers style of customer service

That's the one mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
semilapsedmariner
July 16, 2011, 10:41pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +0
Just back from a week on the isle of wight.
First night at the vine at St Helens had 5 pints of Ringwoods 49er as the title suggests it's 4.9%.
I slept very well that night.
The following day sat in bright sunshine outside the sais hostelry watching a village cricket match and supping the same stuff.
The only downside was it was 3.25 a pint.
Also had some local IOW ale from Goddards brewery called fuggle de dum.
A nice session ale.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred,jealousy,boastfullness,
disregard of all rules and a sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence;
In other words it is war without the shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
jock dock tower
July 16, 2011, 11:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Remember a sign in the Swashbuckle stating "If you think the bottom's dropped out of your world, drink our real ale and the world will drip out of your bottom" Truly prophetic words....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
pizzzza
July 16, 2011, 11:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,723
Gold Stars: 137
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Carling yet...
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
moosey_club
July 17, 2011, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Brittania - sampled yesterday, currently on tap in the No.2, very nice pint as always from there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
jungleland
July 17, 2011, 5:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from EarAche
Wainwrights beer is a favourite of mine along with Brains SA. My local has recently had Waggle Dance on which was a good pint. Currently consuming a stockpile of Manx Beer.

wainwrights   saw that in tesco so gave it go must nearly be the best bottled beer ive tried  great stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
semilapsedmariner
July 17, 2011, 7:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Carling yet...

The thread is about beer, not coloured alcohol flavoured fizzy chemicals.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
Addy3ross
July 18, 2011, 6:54am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
My favorite is Bud Ice. This is so yummy.

[url=http://www.northharbourrentals.co.nz]Film Industry Truck Hire[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
semilapsedmariner
July 18, 2011, 7:24am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Addy3ross
My favorite is Bud Ice. This is so yummy.

See above.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
forza ivano
July 18, 2011, 11:17am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,311
Gold Stars: 266
was on oakham ales' 'citra' on saturday night which slipped down a treat. by yesterday that had finished so had to transfer my allegiance to a very smooth scottish porter, from some little brewery deep in the south of sweaty-land.
youngs double chocolate stout was mentioned - very yummy - loved that stuff. m&s are selling a bottled chocolate beer at the moment which is very tasty.
would also recommend most of the stuff done by brains, youngs, the ossett brewery and bath ales.
my vilage local is doing its first beer fest next bank holiday - have got batemans mild, spa from bath ales, exmoor gold, adnams lighthouse, a leeds brewery porter and a strawberry cider! thought that spounded a pretty good selection
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
CairnsMariner
July 18, 2011, 12:24pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
Taylors Landlors was always a favourite of mine. That and Fullers IPA (must have much improved as I remember ALL London beer being awful when I was there in the late 80s). I am going back a bit here, and I wasn't exactly an habitue, but the No. 3 in The Angel brings back fond memories, as does another Youngers ale, this time from The Pavillion at Cleethorpes, called 80 shillings (I think).

Down here we have some excellent beers (amongst a fair amount of rubbish too).  I love the southern beers: James Boag & Cascade from Tasmainia; and Coopers from South Australia. NSW has a great beer too, called James Squire (after the convict who started Australia's first commercial brewery). Anyone who enjoys a heavy, malty, dark beer should try Squire's Porter. Alas, we don't brew much of any great note here in Queensland although there has been something of a mini revival in the local micro-brewery arena. Nothing that compares favourably with the southeners yet though.

Someone mentioned Bud, I think. I remember drinking that in New York and loving it. So much so that, back in the UK I bought a case of it. Nothing like the American stuff at all - just another bland but fizzy lager. My favourite overseas beer though is a bit of a cliche, but who cares. Bali's Bintang is probably nothing that special, but anybody who has been there will know that it is everywhere - and when you are that hot and thirsty it quickly grows on you to the point when, even years later, the ubiquitous backbackers Bintang vest still puts a smile on your face.

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
PrestwichMariner
July 18, 2011, 4:45pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +289
Gold Stars: 5
Thwaites Original is a god session beer and as we sell it in our club for £1.85 a pint it doesn't cost too much for a skinful!! I was lucky enough to get Batemans XXXB as a guest a few weeks ago and sold it at the same price but fell over a lot quicker!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
jock dock tower
July 18, 2011, 5:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
If anyone is ever up in Glasgow there is one pub you would need to visit if you're an ale lover, the Three Judges, which used to be my local. It's right at the bottom of Byers Road (the West End) and it always has 10 different real ales on, many with an obvious Scottish background. They also keep bottled beers from all over the world and it's a beer drinker's heaven. Believe it or not, and I can't remember the name, a few years back I had 6.5% mild in there!
There's another pub called the Bon Accord which is slap bang next to the M8, and it too has at least 10 real ales (and it's own website) Had some good times in them both.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
ponnyfan
July 18, 2011, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
Thwaites Original is a god session beer and as we sell it in our club for £1.85 a pint it doesn't cost too much for a skinful!! I was lucky enough to get Batemans XXXB as a guest a few weeks ago and sold it at the same price but fell over a lot quicker!
Thwaites is a Lancaster brewery and remember it well from my days there.Have you tried Hartleys - an excellent pint ?

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
moosey_club
July 19, 2011, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
was on oakham ales' 'citra' on saturday night which slipped down a treat. by yesterday that had finished so had to transfer my allegiance to a very smooth scottish porter, from some little brewery deep in the south of sweaty-land.
youngs double chocolate stout was mentioned - very yummy - loved that stuff. m&s are selling a bottled chocolate beer at the moment which is very tasty.
would also recommend most of the stuff done by brains, youngs, the ossett brewery and bath ales.
my vilage local is doing its first beer fest next bank holiday - have got batemans mild, spa from bath ales, exmoor gold, adnams lighthouse, a leeds brewery porter and a strawberry cider! thought that spounded a pretty good selection

Oakham are a pretty prolific brewery, loads of variants and most of them pretty good, "Inferno" i think i had fairly recently,the pub closest to a site i was visiting in Wellingborough last year always had at least one of theirs on.

Will have to look in M&S for that choccy brew.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
BrMarin
July 19, 2011, 10:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
Tribute is quite good; London Pride is drinkable also
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
forza ivano
July 20, 2011, 9:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,311
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from BrMarin
Tribute is quite good; London Pride is drinkable also

got tribute in my local - lovely pint but more than 2 and i get blinding headaches on it! london pride is great when it's good, but is more often badly kept

incidentally m&s have a number of good bottled beers including one from batemans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Rodley Mariner
July 20, 2011, 9:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,292
Gold Stars: 187
Leeds Brewery do some nice stuff. Like the Pale and the Best and some of the seasonals have been good. I do love a pint of Erdinger if it's a warm day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
moosey_club
July 21, 2011, 2:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

got tribute in my local - lovely pint but more than 2 and i get blinding headaches on it! london pride is great when it's good, but is more often badly kept

incidentally m&s have a number of good bottled beers including one from batemans

Just had the chocolate as prescribed by forza and tried the summer ipa, summer ipa pipped the chocolate to the post in my taste test, both weighing in at 6% and over.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Beer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.