July 14, 2011, 4:00pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
What is the best beer you've ever had?

From the UK:

Batemans XXXB or Adnams Broadside for me.

Overseas:

La Chouffe, which is a spiced strong brew from Belgium or a Weihenstephaner Korbinian, which is a Double Bock strong beer from Germany.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
July 14, 2011, 7:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Burton Bridge ale in the bar of the Burton Bridge brewery and a current favourite is York Brewery "Guzzler".Could drink gallons of the stuff.They have it in the No 2 now and again.

Samuel Adams from Boston is nice (that's the Boston in the States) but i haven't seen any for a while.Used to get it from Small Beer.Also like some Belgian beers like Duvell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
jock dock tower
July 14, 2011, 7:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
If you're a real ale lover, then if you ever get the opportunity to sample Marston's Old Empire IPA. It's definitely not a session beer (it's about 6.7%) but it's absolutely superb. Used to love the Bateman's Triple X in the old Swashbuckle before I moved north in 1991, and how they used to call it "Big Boy's beer" as opposed to the ordinary Bateman's "Small boy's beer"
The Younger's number 3 under the clock when Noel had it was an absolute joy, but my favourite in Grimsby, any time, any place, any where, had to the Bass in Billy Cairns's. I used to have mouthgasms supping that.....

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
conscorner
July 14, 2011, 7:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +300
Gold Stars: 3
I would have to go back to the days when the majority of pubs in Grimsby/Cleethorpes served Stones/Worthy E keg bitter. As JDT says, the Bass in Cairns's and the Tiv was a lovely pint, but my all time favourite has to go to the Crow's Nest, Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter when the Cockerills ran the pub - superb beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
Paddymariner
July 14, 2011, 8:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
What is the best beer you've ever had?

From the UK:

Batemans XXXB or Adnams Broadside for me.
Overseas:

La Chouffe, which is a spiced strong brew from Belgium or a Weihenstephaner Korbinian, which is a Double Bock strong beer from Germany.

Good call MDT's. Those two are among my faves along with Gales HSB from Portsmouth (now brewed by Fullers in Chiswick), St Austell HSD and Doombar from Rock. If none of those are available, I'd probably go for a Peroni or Stella or Red Stripe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
kingofthekippers
July 14, 2011, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from jock dock tower
If you're a real ale lover, then if you ever get the opportunity to sample Marston's Old Empire IPA. It's definitely not a session beer (it's about 6.7%) but it's absolutely superb. Used to love the Bateman's Triple X in the old Swashbuckle before I moved north in 1991, and how they used to call it "Big Boy's beer" as opposed to the ordinary Bateman's "Small boy's beer"
The Younger's number 3 under the clock when Noel had it was an absolute joy, but my favourite in Grimsby, any time, any place, any where, had to the Bass in Billy Cairns's. I used to have mouthgasms supping that.....

I never tried it JDT but there is a small independent brewery up your way called 'Brewdog' which I have to admit may not be to your taste as it brands itself 'Beer for punks' (I may be wrong ) but it makes a line of stronger lagers and challenges the awfulness of most commercial beers but I wonder if you've ever tried it or heard people talk about it?

I only ask because they are a young business looking to expand and are offering a chance to buy a share in them (don't tut). My reckoning is that if I'm going to put my money anywhere I'd like to back the small man against the beer barons.

[url]http://www.brewdog.com/beer[/url]

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
Les Brechin
July 14, 2011, 9:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Sharps Doom Bar beer brewed in Cornwall is a great session beer. You couldn't get it round here until recently apart from the occasional beer festival but just recently they have started selling it in The County in Brighowgate which just happens to be the pub where I play pool from.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Paddymariner
July 14, 2011, 9:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from Les Brechin
Sharps Doom Bar beer brewed in Cornwall is a great session beer. You couldn't get it round here until recently apart from the occasional beer festival but just recently they have started selling it in The County in Brighowgate which just happens to be the pub where I play pool from.

Really nice pint. My local in Norwich sells it at £3.10 a pint which all the locals moan about. Fact is, I went to Padstow which is about 10 miles from the Rock brewery and it was £3.70 a pint. How much is it in the County, Les?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
Les Brechin
July 14, 2011, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Paddymariner

Really nice pint. My local in Norwich sells it at £3.10 a pint which all the locals moan about. Fact is, I went to Padstow which is about 10 miles from the Rock brewery and it was £3.70 a pint. How much is it in the County, Les?

£1.99 mate. All day, every day.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
conscorner
July 14, 2011, 10:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +300
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin
Sharps Doom Bar beer brewed in Cornwall is a great session beer.

Sampled this one at a pub near Twerton Park, Bath when Town went there last season (think it was The Crown?) - not a bad pint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Beer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.