Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2023/24 RETAINED LIST
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

2023/24 RETAINED LIST

This thread currently has 35,481 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
April 28, 2024, 10:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So he gave him a vote of confidence back in January?

Oh yeah, because when that happens every contract in football is honoured until it expires.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 203
Bogtrotter
April 28, 2024, 10:33am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +222
Gold Stars: 8
Despite watching Town since the late 80s, I have come to the realisation that I know sod all about football. I suspect it is because I was a rubbish player. So the below is probably balderdash.

The only playes that I have noticed as decent, are Rose (obviously), Mullarkey (since they changed his position) and Tharme (nearly always solid).

I'll probably get pelters for this, but the rest where underwhelming, including Clifton, sadly. Maybe Eastwood, given his youth, should be retained as second fiddle, as he did OK really at the end of the season.

Again, person who knows nothing about football alert, but I'm convinced much of it was psychological ; as a team they had the feeling of somehow having convinced themselves that they were clinging on and defeat was imminent. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the squad went elsewhere into more confident teams and started to shine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 203
dapperz fun pub
April 28, 2024, 10:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Bogtrotter
Despite watching Town since the late 80s, I have come to the realisation that I know sod all about football. I suspect it is because I was a rubbish player. So the below is probably balderdash.

The only playes that I have noticed as decent, are Rose (obviously), Mullarkey (since they changed his position) and Tharme (nearly always solid).

I'll probably get pelters for this, but the rest where underwhelming, including Clifton, sadly. Maybe Eastwood, given his youth, should be retained as second fiddle, as he did OK really at the end of the season.

Again, person who knows nothing about football alert, but I'm convinced much of it was psychological ; as a team they had the feeling of somehow having convinced themselves that they were clinging on and defeat was imminent. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the squad went elsewhere into more confident teams and started to shine.

Bang on really except you didn’t mention Thompson being a great addition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 203
Hagrid
April 28, 2024, 10:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,503
Gold Stars: 544
Id be telling Rodgers he’s free to go. He’s been absolutely pants. He proved yesterday and throughout the season he cant play in a 4, and he’s not exactly glowed in the 5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 203
Brummie Codfather
April 28, 2024, 11:05am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Hagrid
Id be telling Rodgers he’s free to go. He’s been absolutely pants. He proved yesterday and throughout the season he cant play in a 4, and he’s not exactly glowed in the 5

I think he’s looked OK in a 5 but totally agree in a 4, he misjudges a hell of a lot and you don’t get away with that as a CB in a back 4.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 203
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 28, 2024, 11:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Hagrid

Agree about him playing in a 4 but from the games I saw he was OK in a 5. That said if he moved on wouldn’t bother me and I tend to agree with those who would like to see Ryan Bennett return. We badly lack leadership and experience and he has both and seem to recall he was Captain here when he was 19.

I’ve also said previously that sometimes the problem with defenders is the midfield in front of them and maybe if we had a half decent midfield some of our defenders might look a bit more capable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 203
MuddyWaters
April 28, 2024, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Brummie Codfather

I think he’s looked OK in a 5 but totally agree in a 4, he misjudges a hell of a lot and you don’t get away with that as a CB in a back 4.

Not pretending to know anything but if he comes, a back 5 with Ryan Bennett will need two quicker defenders alongside him - for that reason, I think the three under contract will be kept and Maher won't.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 203
neverapen
April 28, 2024, 12:20pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 1
The jury is still out on Rodgers for me, he’s had brilliant matches but then a lot where he’s looked very shaky. I think Mullarkey has actually improved a lot this season and thought was one of the better players yesterday, would be interesting to see how a CB pairing of Mullarkey and Tharme would work in a back 4.

I think the new ‘model’ that has been talked about involves playing a back 4 and because of that I’m  not convinced we will see any CB signings in the summer, I think Maher will be released and then any defensive signings will be at full back, whether that’s Hume, Smith or others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 203
Grantley
April 28, 2024, 12:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
I want to like Mullarkey but get the feeling he doesn’t really give a excrement and is more interested in his social media and fitness career. Ok player but not the sort of mentality we want imo.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 203
jamesgtfc
April 28, 2024, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Grantley
I want to like Mullarkey but get the feeling he doesn’t really give a excrement and is more interested in his social media and fitness career. Ok player but not the sort of mentality we want imo.

What an absolute charlatan for having a plan to earn a living after football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 203
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2023/24 RETAINED LIST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.