jimgtfc
April 27, 2024, 5:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,102
Gold Stars: 46
Thank god for that!

Right then, how many season tickets have we sold? When’s the new shirt out? And I can’t believe we haven’t signed anyone yet, sort it Artells!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
sonofmadeleymariner
April 27, 2024, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Today was the perfect example of our season wasn't it. All puff no huff. Failed to take our chances while on top then gift two easy goals and lose the game.

Thank god the seasons over. Bring on the clearout and lets see what we can do going forward.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
RonMariner
April 27, 2024, 5:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,855
Gold Stars: 230
I can’t remember a season when we have missed more sitters. We could have had at least half a dozen more points if we could hit the target from two yards out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
Madeleymariner
April 27, 2024, 5:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Well thats a lot of hours of my life I won't get back. Now to find the money for another season ticket.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 41
Swansea_Mariner
April 27, 2024, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Don't think I've ever looked forward so much to a released list before. Season 23/24 goes down as a one of our worst vintages ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 41
The Caterham Mariner
April 27, 2024, 5:37pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +101
Gold Stars: 8
Crawley got what they wanted where as we got
What we wanted last Saturday..Relieved at that.
UTM.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
headingly_mariner
April 27, 2024, 5:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
It's a good job we'd already stayed up. Pleased to see Gardner get a start, he will be having nightmares about that miss, but I thought he grew into it, some clear movement and nice touches.

Vernam and Hume did well first half.

We are lacking quality.

A word for the Goalie who actually looks a decent player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
CSLM
April 27, 2024, 5:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Actually looked alright for a while and how we missed those chances I'll never know, they were shockers even for us this season. Shambolic defending for the goals and after that it was pathetic. Lots of work to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
headingly_mariner
April 27, 2024, 5:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Also does anyone know what this Tommy Robinson fanboy thing is with a small section of our fans? They were singing about him today and have a strange flag that says something like "we only kneel for Tommy Robinson"

It makes me feel a bit sick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 27, 2024, 6:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Also does anyone know what this Tommy Robinson fanboy thing is with a small section of our fans? They were singing about him today and have a strange flag that says something like "we only kneel for Tommy Robinson"

My generation sang out loud how we loved Harry Robert’s for killing two coppers. Don’t think many teenagers give too much thought to how cringeworthy a number of the songs are but a hell of a lot of us went through that stage in our lives. Most will grow up and like our era shake our heads at how stupid we were!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
RonMariner
April 27, 2024, 6:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
So Rob was right, 43 points was enough to stay up. I really thought we would need at least 46.

And so there were three teams worse than us after all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
Chrisblor
April 27, 2024, 6:26pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,967
Gold Stars: 241

While i'm not remotely a fan of the bloke it's great to see a group of out and proud town fans confidently exhibiting their sexuality 🌈

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
ginnywings
April 27, 2024, 6:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner
So Rob was right, 43 points was enough to stay up. I really thought we would need at least 46.

And so there were three teams worse than us after all.

My brother said weeks ago that 43 points would be enough and he was correct. He went to Crewe and said after the game that we were safe whatever happened in our last two games.

FGR and Sutton back to their natural level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 27, 2024, 7:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings

My brother said weeks ago that 43 points would be enough and he was correct. He went to Crewe and said after the game that we were safe whatever happened in our last two games.

FGR and Sutton back to their natural level.

Yeah agree, good to get rid of two teams who have brought nothing to the EFL and we will not miss their transit van full of 12 fans visiting us next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
pontoonlew
April 27, 2024, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,101
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Yeah agree, good to get rid of two teams who have brought nothing to the EFL and we will not miss their transit van full of 12 fans visiting us next year.

We’re losing Wrexham, Stockport, Mansfield & possibly Donny so standby for some terrible away numbers visiting BP next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
Poojah
April 27, 2024, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,787
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from pontoonlew

We’re losing Wrexham, Stockport, Mansfield & possibly Donny so standby for some terrible away numbers visiting BP next season

More room for Town fans then, if we can just stop being so utterly shít as a league club.

Realistically, only really Bradford and Notts County likely to need the larger section of the Osmond of those definitely in League Two. Personally, I have a feeling Donny will fall short in the play-offs. Hope so, anyway, always has great away day potential with that big away end of theirs.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
Maringer
April 27, 2024, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,678
Gold Stars: 189
To be fair to Sutton, they were in the league because they earned it, not because they spent loads more money than most of the other Conference teams. They were always going to struggle to stay in the League for very long, but didn't rely on sugar-daddies to get them promoted in the first place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
Chrisblor
April 27, 2024, 7:52pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,967
Gold Stars: 241
Quoted from pontoonlew

Chesterfield should sell out the Pontoon and Carlisle and Port Vale normally bring decent numbers away so it might not be that bad comparatively, especially if we get rid of MK Dons or Crawley through the playoffs.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
Limerick Mariner
April 27, 2024, 7:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Poojah

More room for Town fans then, if we can just stop being so utterly shít as a league club.

Realistically, only really Bradford and Notts County likely to need the larger section of the Osmond of those definitely in League Two. Personally, I have a feeling Donny will fall short in the play-offs. Hope so, anyway, always has great away day potential with that big away end of theirs.

And Chesterfield. But yes overall away numbers will be down.  We need to fill the Osmond ourselves.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
louth_in_the_south
April 27, 2024, 8:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
It’s been a terrible season. After the highs of last year that we thought we’d build on it’s just been so depressing. Saturday nights have been about self medication to get through the despair. It’s never boring being a town fan I suppose is the positive way of looking at it and escaping relegation does feel good knowing how if feels twice before.
There’s always the hope that the players coming in will change our fortunes next season. That’s the hope that keeps us coming back for more. And that’s why we keep coming back for more and we’d never swap it . Up the Mariners!!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
MarinerDevil
April 27, 2024, 8:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
What an amazing time it would be to get into League One. Lincoln, Barnsley, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Mansfield and potentially Donny would make for a great set of local(ish) games. We've only really got Bradford and Notts left in League Two.

The game really summed up our season. Started brightly, fashioned two or three guilt-edged chances that we somehow found a way to miss, before conceding two avoidable goals which killed us off mentally. Had all the ball second half but had no idea what to do with it because we don't have a game plan for when we go behind.

Hoping for at least a less stressful season next time around. Have a great summer all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
Northbank Mariner
April 27, 2024, 8:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Poojah

Chesterfield normally bring a good following..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
GrimRob
April 27, 2024, 9:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,450
Gold Stars: 115
Certainly missed the urgency of something to play for. No season in League Two is a bad season we know there are plenty worse places we could be.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 41
forza ivano
April 27, 2024, 9:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from GrimRob
Certainly missed the urgency of something to play for. No season in League Two is a bad season we know there are plenty worse places we could be.

That's really defeatist. Bradford are absolute dogshiite but were in with a chance of the play offs to the last game. Our form, post Donny, would bring us to Bradford's level. So long as Artell learns from his mistakes, improves upon this year's stock (shouldn't be too difficult) , added to a weaker league, we could be contenders
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
GrimRob
April 27, 2024, 9:15pm

Quoted from forza ivano

That's really defeatist. Bradford are absolute dogshiite but were in with a chance of the play offs to the last game. Our form, post Donny, would bring us to Bradford's level. So long as Artell learns from his mistakes, improves upon this year's stock (shouldn't be too difficult) , added to a weaker league, we could be contenders

Sure we can do better if absolutely everything clicks we might make the playoffs but it's probably about a 1 in 5 chance. There's a huge gap between where we ended, even last season which was a 20 test high point and making the playoffs. I'd be happy just to be in the chasing pack in February with an outside chance of sneaking in. But the bottom line is to avoid relegation it's far more likely than promotion.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 25 - 41
forza ivano
April 27, 2024, 9:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Quoted from GrimRob

Sure we can do better if absolutely everything clicks we might make the playoffs but it's probably about a 1 in 5 chance. There's a huge gap between where we ended, even last season which was a 20 test high point and making the playoffs. I'd be happy just to be in the chasing pack in February with an outside chance of sneaking in. But the bottom line is to avoid relegation it's far more likely than promotion.

I respectfully disagree. We have a dogshite squad, but Artell/Joe's January dealings strengthened us immensely. Post Donny we would be on course, with this awful squad, accumulate 68 odd points. Add another 3-4 players of the January calibre ( & don't go back to fannying around at the back ) and we are serious play off contenders (and I'm not a huge pro Artell man)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2024, 9:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,009
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano

I respectfully disagree. We have a dogshite squad, but Artell/Joe's January dealings strengthened us immensely. Post Donny we would be on course, with this awful squad, accumulate 68 odd points. Add another 3-4 players of the January calibre ( & don't go back to fannying around at the back ) and we are serious play off contenders (and I'm not a huge pro Artell man)

They 3-4 needs to be 6-7.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
Maringer
April 27, 2024, 10:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,678
Gold Stars: 189
Just imagine how many points we'd have won (in spite of being crap) if we hadn't missed so many easy chances in the 6 yard box? I don't remember a season where we've missed anywhere nearly as many sitters as this. Our opponents seem to have generally managed to knock most of them in, the odd exception aside.

Hopefully, next season, regardless of who is playing for us, we'll be able to shin/knee/bottom/chin a few of them into the goal. And also score some goals from attractive, positive play as well, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
Mappers
April 27, 2024, 10:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,502
Gold Stars: 120
The team that started our first game back in the league 22/23 :
Crocombe,Glennon,Smith,Waterfall,Efete,Green,Morris,Holhanan,Mcatee,Kiernan,Clifton .
Team that started  the final  game 23/24 season
Eastwood ,Smith , Mullarkey, Rodgers ,Hume , Thompson , Green , Khouri, Vernam , Wilson , Gardner

We have had a massive turnover of player with only 1 potentially remaining (Green) from our first fixture at Leyton Orient back in 2022 . It's maybe more an example of how quick player turnover is , especially lower down .

I ask the question though  whether our team that finished this season is even as good as the one which we started with almost 2 years ago ?

I'm not sure it has been 'continuous development ' in the 4 windows we have had since returning to the league , but it's pivotal this summer is 'a big one ' or we are in danger of regression once more .

Thank fu*k it's over you are right .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
GrimRob
April 27, 2024, 10:24pm

Quoted from forza ivano

Problem is almost every team is 3/4 players short of promotion. You sign the best players you can and there are all sorts of factors whether it works out, some of which you can't control. Also quite a few teams will fancy their chances next year and up their budgets. The new format may or may not benefit us. We're in with a shout for sure. I just don't think it's a failure if we don't succeed, we just get another chance for the following year. Eventually we'll get the winning forumula.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 30 - 41
Yoda
April 27, 2024, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
It’s been a very poor season and i think it shocked JS how close we came to going down again.
I think this summer he will be more ruthless he was taken for a ride by hurst and doug last summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
toontown
April 28, 2024, 12:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimRob

Problem is almost every team is 3/4 players short of promotion. You sign the best players you can and there are all sorts of factors whether it works out, some of which you can't control. Also quite a few teams will fancy their chances next year and up their budgets. The new format may or may not benefit us. We're in with a shout for sure. I just don't think it's a failure if we don't succeed, we just get another chance for the following year. Eventually we'll get the winning forumula.

Sorry rob what do you mean by new format next season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
RonMariner
April 28, 2024, 1:00am

Special Brew Drinker
Impossible to tell how well or badly we will do next season until the new squad is assembled.

The first clue will be the retained list. If we don’t release all of the poor performers it will not bode well. We did ok at the back end of the season, well enough to secure our status by a seven point margin, but were no where close to being good enough to pose a realistic challenge for promotion next season. Too many inconsistent performers and too many players making basic errors. A real lack of quality in evidence.

So we need at least half a dozen new players of a decent standard to come in to complement the handful of good players we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
GrimRob
April 28, 2024, 8:07am

Quoted from toontown

Sorry rob what do you mean by new format next season?

The new TV deal. Lots of fixtures kick off at lunchtimes. Likely to see lots less away fans. Ok the rules will be the same but it's likely to have a different "feel".

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 34 - 41
Stew0_0
April 28, 2024, 8:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
Compared to this, next season on paper looks weaker, especially when you see whose in the national league play offs. We are losing the big hitters Wrexham and Stockport and replacing Mansfield with Chesterfield.

Sorry for stating the obvious but explaining our comfortable 19th place position next season  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 28, 2024, 8:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,312
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Chrisblor

While i'm not remotely a fan of the bloke it's great to see a group of out and proud town fans confidently exhibiting their sexuality 🌈

Top post but probably too subtle for it’s targets.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Mappers
April 28, 2024, 9:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,502
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Stew0_0
Compared to this, next season on paper looks weaker, especially when you see whose in the national league play offs. We are losing the big hitters Wrexham and Stockport and replacing Mansfield with Chesterfield.

Sorry for stating the obvious but explaining our comfortable 19th place position next season  

Morecambe will be in a right mess , Swindon the same .

Lot's of teams with far lower budgets than our's for sure  , yes there are anomalies like Crawley this season and mistakes have been made but we need a season punching at our weight minimum next time out imo, otherwise people really will think it's just the same book with a different more aesthetic cover than our previous chapter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
Yoda
April 28, 2024, 9:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Fleetwood are on their bottom wouldn’t be surprised if they went into administration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
April 28, 2024, 11:23am
Guest User

Sick and embarrassed.
Reply: 39 - 41
It Bites
April 28, 2024, 11:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Time to reflect
My criticism of Gardiner was totally unjustified but a reflection of how I feel about this season . I just never expected it too happen again so soon and it caught me out mentally . It just drunk me off to the point I got bored with it all and any player seemed fair game for criticism.
I know where the club is at financially and I know any top half finish  in LG2 is about as good as it will get . All I want is a team who can pass, trap the ball and give 100% for our incredible fans
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 41
Poojah
April 28, 2024, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,787
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from GrimRob

The new TV deal. Lots of fixtures kick off at lunchtimes. Likely to see lots less away fans. Ok the rules will be the same but it's likely to have a different "feel".

I don’t think this “new format” will be quite as disruptive as many people seem to think. There will be 248 League Two games broadcast in total next season, accounting for 44.5% of all games played, which does sound a lot on the surface. However, the lion’s share of these will be games already planned to be played outside the 3pm blackout; e.g. Tuesday evenings and bank holidays. These games won’t need to be moved, and in most instances will be a kind of iFollow-plus service via the Sky Red button (minimum 2 camera angles, neutral Sky commentary, but not the punditry and other bóllocks you get with traditional Sky broadcasts).

Each weekend, there will be an average of 2.5 League Two games allotted a full broadcast selection, which equates to about 21% of each weekend’s round of fixtures. You would expect to find a Town game moved something like every 5th weekend, so presumably that equates to around 6 games across the season no longer being at 3pm on a Saturday. Exactly when those games will be I’m not certain, presumably any time from Friday night to Sunday lunchtime (there’s little point in Sky pitting League Two games against its “Super Sunday” product), but I don’t see it as being the end of the world. It’s not unusual for our games to be moved by the police anyway.

Personally, I think the improvements to the quality of coverage, the additional games broadcast (e.g. every League Cup game) and of course the money that comes with it are worth the disruption to fixtures, which is relatively minor imo.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back...Thank f..ck its over

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.