6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
April 27, 2024, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,787
Gold Stars: 1,515
It’s funny, because I can remember where I was when we announced the signing of Gav Holohan. At the time, we were two points outside the National League play-offs, having played 2 games more than Boreham Wood.

If you’d have told me then that he would go on to…

- Score an absolute thunderbolt from 35 yards in a 4-1 win away at Chesterfield (I’ve just watched it back and you can hear the home crowd clapping)

- Score the winner in our comeback against champions elect Stockport

- Score a 96th minute equaliser of a play-off eliminator at Notts County; a moment that triggered the most incredible play-off campaign I have ever witnessed

- Score the opening goal of an FA Cup 4th round game away at Premier League-bound Luton, which would eventually see us go through to the 5th round

- Score the two goals that secured our win away at Premier League Southampton, taking us through to our first FA Cup Quarter Final since 1939

…I’d have said “yeah, that’s not a bad signing, that”.

Seriously, I’ve been watching Town for over 30 years and I struggle to think of anyone who’s had a bigger impact in terms of goals in key moments. Outside of the above, there’s an argument to be made that his best goal in a Town shirt was away at Hartlepool, where he still had the class not to celebrate against his old club.

Is Gav Holohan a GTFC legend? Without question; Town fans will be talking about him for decades to come.

What an incredible difference he’s made to this football club. Thanks for the memories, Gav!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
GollyGTFC
April 27, 2024, 1:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from Poojah
Outside of the above, there’s an argument to be made that his best goal in a Town shirt was away at Hartlepool, where he still had the class not to celebrate against his old club.

The stupidest thing in modern football. Not celebrating a goal. I'm not expecting him to go all Adebayor. but celebrate a goal with your teammates and the fans FFS.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 53
headingly_mariner
April 27, 2024, 5:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Someone I am sad to see go and a massive part of two seasons of success. Seems like a good guy as well.
Expect him to end up at York or somewhere like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
arryarryarry
April 27, 2024, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,046
Gold Stars: 117
Well done that man. Some of what he has contributed will go down in history.

Not sure if it was to do with the crap around him but didn't appear at his best this season but goes with I am sure most fans best wishes.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
MuddyWaters
April 27, 2024, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Sad to see him leave and he has done a lot of good whilst he's been with us.

Not sure quite what happened this season but, like most of the midfield, he was in and out of the team - wish him nothing but the best for the future.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
CSLM
April 27, 2024, 7:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Every player should "care" as a minimum but some go beyond that and Gav is definitely one of them.

Good luck to the bloke, had some fantastic moments and when he was good he was really good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
GollyGTFC
April 27, 2024, 8:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The stupidest thing in modern football. Not celebrating a goal. I'm not expecting him to go all Adebayor. but celebrate a goal with your teammates and the fans FFS.

Well done Orsi. How it should be done.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 53
hampshiremariner
April 27, 2024, 9:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Poojah
It’s funny, because I can remember where I was when we announced the signing of Gav Holohan. At the time, we were two points outside the National League play-offs, having played 2 games more than Boreham Wood.

If you’d have told me then that he would go on to…

- Score an absolute thunderbolt from 35 yards in a 4-1 win away at Cheltenham (I’ve just watched it back and you can hear the home crowd clapping)

- Score the winner in our comeback against champions elect Stockport

- Score a 96th minute equaliser of a play-off eliminator at Notts County; a moment that triggered the most incredible play-off campaign I have ever witnessed

- Score the opening goal of an FA Cup 4th round game away at Premier League-bound Luton, which would eventually see us go through to the 5th round

- Score the two goals that secured our win away at Premier League Southampton, taking us through to our first FA Cup Quarter Final since 1939

…I’d have said “yeah, that’s not a bad signing, that”.

Seriously, I’ve been watching Town for over 30 years and I struggle to think of anyone who’s had a bigger impact in terms of goals in key moments. Outside of the above, there’s an argument to be made that his best goal in a Town shirt was away at Hartlepool, where he still had the class not to celebrate against his old club.

Is Gav Holohan a GTFC legend? Without question; Town fans will be talking about him for decades to come.

What an incredible difference he’s made to this football club. Thanks for the memories, Gav!

What an excellent post! I am really puzzled why five people should vote this down, unless we have some trolls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Poojah
April 27, 2024, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,787
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from hampshiremariner

What an excellent post! I am really puzzled why five people should vote this down, unless we have some trolls.

To be fair, having re-read it in your quote, it might be (in part) because I’d written Cheltenham instead of Chesterfield. Well, I hadn’t “written” that to be fair; I just happened to be hungover as fúck at the time of writing and that was what the autocorrect had deduced from whatever garbled bóllocks I had mashed into the keypad.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
Maringer
April 27, 2024, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,678
Gold Stars: 189
Good luck to him in the future. He's had an average season and didn't manage to score the goals he should with the chances he had (and put there chances away in the past), but he's been a really good player during his relatively short time at the club.

I'd imagine he would be able to do a good job somewhere for another two or three seasons, possibly in the Conference? A decent fitness record which is half the job.

Back to Hartlepool, maybe? Possibly back to the Irish Premier League if he wants to move back to Ireland?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Holohan

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.