Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Cup Replays Scrapped
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 102.

Cup Replays Scrapped

This thread currently has 7,068 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
grimps
April 19, 2024, 11:03pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Chrisblor
The dreadful cowards at the FA are doubling down with some gaslighting 'we consulted all the EFL clubs' nonsense:

Tweet 1781263421012316221 will appear here...

Can only see this latest statement fanning the flames even further tbqh

Everything about that statement tells me their only concern is money .
They seem to think the football fans concerns are about money too.
There’s no mention of the tradition of the oldest football competition in the world or the concerns and interest of fans of lower league clubs.
They think they can throw a few quid at us and we’ll go away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 109
LN8Mariner
April 20, 2024, 6:57am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
I don’t know what we are all bothered about! In a few years time it’ll be back to as it is now as the European “Super” League will come off the back of this as the Premiership teams will take their ball home because of too many games. So instead they’ll replace fatigue from playing by fatigue from travelling or claiming they need fewer games to fit in training missed due to travelling.

I saw an interesting piece on twitter a few weeks back regarding the payment restructuring in that only 8 teams (I think) have remained in the prem since its inception and another 40(ish) have been up and down. So there’s only at any one time 12 teams who can vote who understand what helps but the huge majority of those are like turkeys voting for Xmas in that they “hope” they won’t need the efl payments “next season” and so it continues.  They suggested any voting extends to any former epl members rather than current ones. Quite similar to the professional game board with 4/20 from epl and 4/72 from efl; how is that fair representation? Oh it isn’t and that is the very reason isn’t it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 109
AndyGTFC
April 20, 2024, 12:56pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
It was inevitable unfortunately. There are going to be too many games, you've got 8 European games to fit into midweeks next season along with the League Cup and even got a Club World Cup next June now, so a lot of players are going to be playing all year round going forward.

But it's just excrement that the lower league clubs are the ones that have to suffer when none of that has anything to do with them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 109
lee65
April 20, 2024, 1:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Dress it up how you want, it’s all just a money grab by the elite.

It’s only a matter of time before the “big six” play maybe 5 games a season in Saudi Arabia (they wont be moaning about being tired/travelling then)

Boxing and golf virtually “owned” now by the Middle East, and though I’m not the biggest snooker fan I have a soft spot for the world championship being at the Crucible, but apparently this could be the last year, as other destinations (Saudi?) “would grow the game twenty fold” (according to an objective onlooker called Mr B Hearn)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 109
Yoda
April 21, 2024, 2:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Simon Jordan hit the nail on the head with this use it as a bargaining chip for better distribution of the money and threaten to force a regulator on football at government level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 109
diehardmariner
April 22, 2024, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
What's really drunk me off with this is the lack of outcry from people who are not quite at the top table but they're not feeding off the scraps like we are either, more getting to lick the plate before the scraps are dished down.

Kevin Nolan on the Friday Night Social last week, basically his argument in defence of the move was that everyone loves the Champions League and we all want English teams to do well.  By not having replays we're improving those chances.  Darren Fletcher quite rightly fired back at him that the average EFL fan doesn't care less about Arsenal's chances in the Champs League.  Nolan, who all but confirmed his moron status at this point, replied that they do and because the viewing figures will be low for the final, in the absence of an English side, that's proof.

He also couldn't get his head around the benefits of Notts County's cup replay with Swansea when he was manager, despite Fletcher telling him that as he was on the board at that point the club were delighted with the extra revenue streams.  

This is the type of idiot we're dealing with in this situation.  

The cup Semi-Final between Coventry and Man Utd last night was a wonderful example of cup drama.  Yet you can absolutely guarantee that the FA are using the drama from Extra Time and penalties as justification for no replays.

Absolutely boils my urine that we're going to completely ruin a competition for a few big clubs, yet you look at the reaction of Manchester United staff, players and fans yesterday.  They don't care.  The United end emptied as soon as the final penalty was taken.  Coventry fans stayed to cheer their side on.  Ten Haag was straight down the tunnel with his players very quickly following suit.  They don't care.  

I really hope the talk over the weekend of mutiny comes to fruition.  copulated off with the greedy twits ruining the game.  
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 109
thornemariner
April 22, 2024, 10:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner
What's really drunk me off with this is the lack of outcry from people who are not quite at the top table but they're not feeding off the scraps like we are either, more getting to lick the plate before the scraps are dished down.

Kevin Nolan on the Friday Night Social last week, basically his argument in defence of the move was that everyone loves the Champions League and we all want English teams to do well.  By not having replays we're improving those chances.  Darren Fletcher quite rightly fired back at him that the average EFL fan doesn't care less about Arsenal's chances in the Champs League.  Nolan, who all but confirmed his moron status at this point, replied that they do and because the viewing figures will be low for the final, in the absence of an English side, that's proof.

He also couldn't get his head around the benefits of Notts County's cup replay with Swansea when he was manager, despite Fletcher telling him that as he was on the board at that point the club were delighted with the extra revenue streams.  

This is the type of idiot we're dealing with in this situation.  

The cup Semi-Final between Coventry and Man Utd last night was a wonderful example of cup drama.  Yet you can absolutely guarantee that the FA are using the drama from Extra Time and penalties as justification for no replays.

Absolutely boils my urine that we're going to completely ruin a competition for a few big clubs, yet you look at the reaction of Manchester United staff, players and fans yesterday.  They don't care.  The United end emptied as soon as the final penalty was taken.  Coventry fans stayed to cheer their side on.  Ten Haag was straight down the tunnel with his players very quickly following suit.  They don't care.  

I really hope the talk over the weekend of mutiny comes to fruition.  copulated off with the greedy twits ruining the game.  

When I got into my football in my teens, I would support any British club in Europe be it Liverpool, Forest, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Newport etc. I'd also support any British club in international competition.

Now I take no interest. I hope they fail. I have zero interest in them. I did enjoy Liverpool winning the CL in 2005 because it took me back to their success in the early to mid eighties and listening to radio commentaries waiting for Town updates at a time when we also had a great side. Just a touch of nostalgia really. Nothing more than that.

I also support a PL side but have watched them in every division. Like many, I enjoy watching  the team play at the highest level but the PL hype leaves us cold. Old-school.

I know it was the League Cup but I can remember two replays against eventual winners Wolves in the 1979  QFs( who were lucky to get past third division Swindon in the semis). Football was so much more interesting then. If Town had beaten Wolves, it would have been a Grimsby v Swindon SF.

Private Message
Reply: 106 - 109
Nelly GTFC
April 23, 2024, 4:50pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,752
Gold Stars: 31
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, as it is a few days old, but EFL seeking appropriate compensation.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 109
Limerick Mariner
April 23, 2024, 4:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from thornemariner

When I got into my football in my teens, I would support any British club in Europe be it Liverpool, Forest, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Newport etc. I'd also support any British club in international competition.

Now I take no interest. I hope they fail. I have zero interest in them. I did enjoy Liverpool winning the CL in 2005 because it took me back to their success in the early to mid eighties and listening to radio commentaries waiting for Town updates at a time when we also had a great side. Just a touch of nostalgia really. Nothing more than that.

I also support a PL side but have watched them in every division. Like many, I enjoy watching  the team play at the highest level but the PL hype leaves us cold. Old-school.

I know it was the League Cup but I can remember two replays against eventual winners Wolves in the 1979  QFs( who were lucky to get past third division Swindon in the semis). Football was so much more interesting then. If Town had beaten Wolves, it would have been a Grimsby v Swindon SF.

I mostly supported the English clubs in the 70s, except for Leeds. I always had a soft spot for Ajax and Cruyff. Now I favour the Germans, the only nation with football properly structured as community owned sport.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 109
IlkleyMariner
April 23, 2024, 5:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from thornemariner

Re English clubs in Europe, I seriously want Chelsea and Man City to fail, due to well known reasons. I’m largely ambivalent about the other club’s success, but won’t pay BT sport or its equivalent to watch.

I am both old enough and stupid enough to want football clubs to be heavily involved with the community in which they are based. One of my old pals used to say supporting your club is in the blood. I agree. Now it’s regrettably in the wallet and bank balance.

This country has already sold its family silver to crooks, vagabonds, Americans, oil barons and wealthy Asians.

The time has come to stop the Rape and Cancer spreading across our national game. Appoint the regulator, sack most of the FA and tell the Premier league that it’s the other 1000 or so clubs that run football, not the 20 richest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Cup Replays Scrapped

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.