11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Squinter
April 19, 2024, 12:50pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
We all need to boycot the TV games this weekend, start hitting the FA in the pockett when viewing figures drop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 109
diehardmariner
April 19, 2024, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Winter is generally quite on the pulse of things and of all the big name journalists is one who gets 'it' more than most.  Unfortunately he's probably pissing in the wind as most will just ignore this as ultimately little clubs don't sell papers, draw in listeners/viewers.

As much as he churns my stomach, it needs the likes of Gary Neville to get behind any objection for it to get into the mainstream.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 109
Hagrid
April 19, 2024, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from diehardmariner
Winter is generally quite on the pulse of things and of all the big name journalists is one who gets 'it' more than most.  Unfortunately he's probably pissing in the wind as most will just ignore this as ultimately little clubs don't sell papers, draw in listeners/viewers.

As much as he churns my stomach, it needs the likes of Gary Neville to get behind any objection for it to get into the mainstream.

No chance of that, doesnt  negatively affect his precious United
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 109
Abdul19
April 19, 2024, 1:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face

Jez Moxey - formerly of Wolves & Burton, universally loathed

Also, he's 61. Far too old to be called fucking Jez.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 109
blundellpork
April 19, 2024, 1:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
The problems with the congested fixture schedule are caused by FIFA and UEFA expanding competitions and creating more matches. It is not for national associations to reduce their own competitions.

We’ve already allowed higher division academies to hoover up youngsters from outside of their catchment area, allowed ever more players on the bench, ever more substitutes to be used, and now cutting down the number of matches throughout the pyramid in our famous domestic cup competition.

This won’t be the end of it, but another step in the destruction of the domestic pyramid.

It’s another step towards making the top division a closed shop via the back door. Whether it’s one big step to a Superleague, or a series of smaller steps, it is becoming increasingly difficult for smaller clubs to reach the higher levels of the domestic game on sporting merit.

The loss of replays loses both romance and much needed finance for the lower levels of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 109
diehardmariner
April 19, 2024, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Spot on blundellpork.

The only thing I'd add is that the clubs at the higher echelons are moaning about their own creations.  

They wanted and voted for more games in the European competitions so they could get more money.  They wanted a winter break and they then took their teams off for 'breaks' that were glorified promotional tours.  

The bigger clubs are flipping everyone over for their own gains.  That's bad enough but it's even worse when they FA are bending over to take it dry.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 109
Chrisblor
April 19, 2024, 2:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,933
Gold Stars: 238
EFL "we didn't agree to this" statement:

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/19/efl-statement--fa-cup-replays/

Very little on what the EFL and their member clubs intend to do to oppose the changes beyond "calling on" the FA and Premier League to "re-evaluate their approach". Think the EFL and their member clubs need to buck their ideas up ASAP and start threatening some actual concrete action if they want this decision reversed frankly.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 109
thornemariner
April 19, 2024, 3:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
GTFC's statement was posted on Brentford FC Loyal's FB page where the overwhelming majority of supporters are disgusted by the proposals. The only dissenters are the recent gloryhunters. Bees (my second team) supporters identify with being a small club. It isn't that long ago that they had bucket collections around the ground.

The sides competing in Europe tasted karma this week. While Man City were still in Europe there was a doubt on whether Brentford's scheduled TV game at Everton would take place a week tomorrow or a week on Sunday. A swap, if required, would take place with Man City's TV fixture depending on if/when City next played in Europe. Bees fans only found out yesterday that their match would take place a week tomorrow. The club are now underwriting half the cost of away tickets. A similar scenario two years ago saw the club pay the full cost for fans.

While the PL is regarded as the 'be all and end all' you find that supporters of the smaller clubs quickly tire of the hype. Some of my friends would be happier if they were playing in the third or fourth tier to be more competitive, escape VAR and lose the 'tourist' support. Oh, and no more half and half scarves on sale.

I'd like to see the Bees stay up but wouldn't be crying if they didn't. I like the Championship. I'm sick and tired of the hype myself. I only watch the segment of MOTD which features them. The rest of it leaves me cold.

I always thought the PL was toxic and the cup proposals just reaffirm that.

As for European competition, I supported any British club from the early 80s but I don't have any interest in it now. I'm glad that only Villa are left in now.

Brentford are guilty of not fielding their best sides in the FA Cup so in some ways are part of the overall problem.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 109
TonySmith
April 19, 2024, 3:09pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Can anyone explain to me why the Premier League should care if there are replays in rounds one and two? I think if they continue with replays in rounds one, two, and three then most people would accept that. It's not ideal, but compromise rarely is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 109
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 19, 2024, 3:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from TonySmith
Can anyone explain to me why the Premier League should care if there are replays in rounds one and two? I think if they continue with replays in rounds one, two, and three then most people would accept that. It's not ideal, but compromise rarely is.

All their youth players get tired.

(or are up past their bed times or have to miss school the next day...)

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Cup Replays Scrapped

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.