6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
April 9, 2024, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,679
Gold Stars: 1,508
Agree this is both an opportunity, and the right time, to be ruthless. Personally, I’d offer Hume a contract, still think there’s a role for Clifton if we can play him alongside better players and feel we should probably offer Ainley something if only for the optics, but the rest I broadly agree with.

Worth noting though that such an opportunity is a double-edged sword; if we’re going to ring the changes then we sure as shít need to make a better job of it than we did last summer.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
Maringer
April 9, 2024, 11:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,660
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think Hume is up to much defensively (he's crap in the air and not as quick as I'd expect from a player who has made a lot of appearances for 'big' teams in League One) and his vaunted set piece ability seems to have deserted him since he signed for us.

I suppose I'd be OK if he signed for us, but not exactly over the moon. Might do better with a better midfield in front of him, I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
GollyGTFC
April 9, 2024, 11:53am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think Hume is up to much defensively (he's crap in the air and not as quick as I'd expect from a player who has made a lot of appearances for 'big' teams in League One) and his vaunted set piece ability seems to have deserted him since he signed for us.

I suppose I'd be OK if he signed for us, but not exactly over the moon. Might do better with a better midfield in front of him, I suppose.

On his day Glennon is better than Hume. But Glennon is inconsistent. Hume is a solid 6 and a half L2 left-back. I think we can do better than the pair of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 58
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 1:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,662
Gold Stars: 540
I'm seeing Hume as this years Josh Emmanuel.  

Shown glimpses of what he can do but all in nothing outstanding and definitely not someone I'd be breaking the bank to keep.  I definitely think we can and do need to do better.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
neverapen
April 9, 2024, 2:56pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 1
I agree that there will probably be a big clear out at the end of the season, and that there probably needs to be. Also agree that we should be moving away from mediocracy.

If we did let the 14 or so go that are out of contract / loans ending and were left with the remaining 11 (or 12 with Green ) then we would need quite a few players to make up the squad. What's the likelihood that DA and his team can attract enough decent players to make us competitive, or is there a danger that we'd still end up with mediocre but just with a different set of players?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 3:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Well as others have said his recruitment so far hasn't been too bad.

Tharme - Very good
Thompson - Very good

Hume & Smith - Ok.

Obikwu and Wood - Ok.  DN35 podcast summed up Jan loans nicely this week when they described them as 'you get what you're given'.  When you consider that with the exception of George Lloyd and the two season long loans, we were absolutely dreadful in the loan market last season, especially with younger players.

If we end up with 12 then we probably need another 12.  Within that 12 if we had a 25% strike rate as good as Tharme and Thompson that gives us 3 very good additions.  You add that to an existing spine of 3 (Tharme, Thompson & Rose) and you've got over half your first XI as more than decent.  

You don't need a team of superstars to be effective at this level.  Just a strong core and a few sprinklings of quality.  

The biggest stick to hit Artell's Crewe time with was his recruitment when his young stars were sold, it was largely accepted as awful. But it feels an unfair stick to beat him with. 1) We're not at League One so let's not worry about how he recruited at that level and 2) we don't know enough about the budget constraints etc, he was working with.  

My view is he's done pretty ok with recruitment so far. I don't see any reason why he won't improve the squad in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
gtfc98
April 9, 2024, 3:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from diehardmariner

Tharme - Very good
Thompson - Very good

Hume & Smith - Ok.

Obikwu and Wood - Ok.  DN35 podcast summed up Jan loans nicely this week when they described them as 'you get what you're given'.  When you consider that with the exception of George Lloyd and the two season long loans, we were absolutely dreadful in the loan market last season, especially with younger players.

If we end up with 12 then we probably need another 12.  Within that 12 if we had a 25% strike rate as good as Tharme and Thompson that gives us 3 very good additions.  You add that to an existing spine of 3 (Tharme, Thompson & Rose) and you've got over half your first XI as more than decent.  

You don't need a team of superstars to be effective at this level.  Just a strong core and a few sprinklings of quality.  

The biggest stick to hit Artell's Crewe time with was his recruitment when his young stars were sold, it was largely accepted as awful. But it feels an unfair stick to beat him with. 1) We're not at League One so let's not worry about how he recruited at that level and 2) we don't know enough about the budget constraints etc, he was working with.  

My view is he's done pretty ok with recruitment so far. I don't see any reason why he won't improve the squad in the summer.

I also think it makes a huge difference that we have a recruitment team around Artell. He alludes in his pre match interview that we are well on the way with recruitment for next season already.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
mariner91
April 9, 2024, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262

Tharme - Very good
Thompson - Very good

Hume & Smith - Ok.

Have to also take in to account that he was doing his shopping in January for a team in a relegation battle. He will still have to convince other players to come here in the summer but it will be with a clean slate so more appealing to more players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

I also think it makes a huge difference that we have a recruitment team around Artell. He alludes in his pre match interview that we are well on the way with recruitment for next season already.

Aye.

I'm a bit reluctant to throw in the recruitment team around him though as our current recruitment team have got a mixed record at the minute.  There's so many nuances to that argument, for and against them, so it's difficult to really say if they'll help or hinder.  That's not a criticism of them at all either, my gut feeling is that they are/will be very good but the set-up last summer wasn't aligned.

It is interesting that Artell has heavily hinted working well with them in January though.  Would be genuinely interested to know how many of the six signings were players already on his radar and/or ones he identified himself.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
gtfc98
April 9, 2024, 4:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68

Aye.

I'm a bit reluctant to throw in the recruitment team around him though as our current recruitment team have got a mixed record at the minute.  There's so many nuances to that argument, for and against them, so it's difficult to really say if they'll help or hinder.  That's not a criticism of them at all either, my gut feeling is that they are/will be very good but the set-up last summer wasn't aligned.

It is interesting that Artell has heavily hinted working well with them in January though.  Would be genuinely interested to know how many of the six signings were players already on his radar and/or ones he identified himself.

The only think I'd caveat that with is that from what Jason alluded to in a podcast recently Hurst rejected a lot of the suggestions put forward, with the exception of Conteh.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Doug Tharme and Curtis Thompson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.