3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Mariner_501
April 7, 2024, 7:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
I think this man deserves his own thread.

Possibly the best league two central midfielder we’ve had since…?
Logged Online
Private Message
Fette Schlange
April 7, 2024, 7:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -94
Gold Stars: 51
Nick Rizo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
StacyColdicotts_hairline
April 7, 2024, 7:45am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 1
Excellent player and has been fantastic for town.

Can't quite remember his contract? Did we sign him? I know he has played at a few levels above (and it shows) but ultimately he must only be here to get his fitness back up and to put himself in the shop window? I have no problem with this. He has probably kept this club playing league football next year. We are better for having him here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Brummie Codfather
April 7, 2024, 7:54am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 22
I think it was 18 months so under contract for next season too.  I’ve been really impressed with Thompson, so good at shielding the ball, retaining it and snuffing out danger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
LondonMariner43
April 7, 2024, 8:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Two great signings in Thompson and Tharme.  Next season the team needs to be built around a spine of Tharme, Thompson and Rose.  2-3 more players of their quality could tip us towards a top half team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
rancido
April 7, 2024, 8:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,645
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Two great signings in Thompson and Tharme.  Next season the team needs to be built around a spine of Tharme, Thompson and Rose.  2-3 more players of their quality could tip us towards a top half team

I've been impressed with DA's January recruitment and I'm sure he'll bring the right players in during the close season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
LondonMariner43
April 7, 2024, 8:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
As much as Conteh was a quality player, I think Thompson had been an upgrade and has shown the leadership to drag the rest of the team along with him.  A great bit of business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
aussiej
April 7, 2024, 8:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 17
No more 2 or 3 quality players to be built round the likes of Thompson and Tharme please!!!  We need 11 quality players to start the season or we will fall into the same trap again of not having enough quality in the side. It only takes 2 or 3 injuries to your best players and your back to square one again. If we stay up we need different thinking or it will.be more of the same...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
fishboyUTM
April 7, 2024, 11:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from LondonMariner43
As much as Conteh was a quality player, I think Thompson had been an upgrade and has shown the leadership to drag the rest of the team along with him.  A great bit of business.

Conteh will exceed Thompsons level of ability but he isn't anywhere near Thompsons level without the ball. I know which player I'd prefer in that holding role at the moment and he chews gum and gobs off at opponents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
toontown
April 7, 2024, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Conteh will exceed Thompsons level of ability but he isn't anywhere near Thompsons level without the ball. I know which player I'd prefer in that holding role at the moment and he chews gum and gobs off at opponents.

Agreed.

Conteh will end up laying at a higher level I think, but Thompson is better in the here and now at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
devs
April 7, 2024, 11:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Thompson performance yesterday was as good as I've seen from a GTFC midfielder in a long time
Not only is he a terrier but has great quality on the ball and is a leader
Just what we need..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
diehardmariner
April 7, 2024, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,659
Gold Stars: 540
It's the recruitment of Thompson and Tharme that gives me hope for next season under Artell.

January is always a hard time to improve your squad, it's more about topping things up than anything. But they've dramatically improved the spine of the team.

Very eager to see how they play with better players around them.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
neverapen
April 7, 2024, 11:30am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 1
Both Conteh and Thompson have been fantastic players for us, but I think the experience of Thompson is what the squad needs more at the moment, he brings a grit and determination that is infectious and other players can learn a lot from him. Also thought it was great how he was encouraging the fans to get behind the boys and make some noise to get them over the line. It’s something we definitely missed earlier in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
RonMariner
April 7, 2024, 11:38am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
I think Thomson Tharme Vernam and Rose are the players to build the team around. We will have to bring in players of similar quality but it’s a good base to start from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
Davec
April 7, 2024, 12:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
I do lime Tharme aswell, I think he lacks pace so can get turned by a quick striker fairly easily but overall he seems to be a solid and dependable centre back, Thompson you can tell at a higher level, gets stuck in and generally protects the ball well, he has improved our midfield without doubt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
NorthseaMariner
April 7, 2024, 12:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Do you think Hunt would fit in better with Thompson behind him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
RonMariner
April 7, 2024, 2:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Do you think Hunt would fit in better with Thompson behind him?

Certainly worth a try given the performances Hunt would appear to be putting in for York recently. You need a blend in midfield. In the Buckley teams we had the likes of Cunnington and Cockerill providing the solid core.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
jamesgtfc
April 7, 2024, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
It's the recruitment of Thompson and Tharme that gives me hope for next season under Artell.

January is always a hard time to improve your squad, it's more about topping things up than anything. But they've dramatically improved the spine of the team.

Very eager to see how they play with better players around them.

This isn't a post discrediting Artell, but most of our January recruitment commented how we had been tracking them for some time, so it seems like Artell may have trusted Joe Hutchinson more than Hurst did.

We do need to do a lot of business this summer, so there is a lot of pressure on our recruitment because we can't be in this mess again in 12 months time.

Whilst they are under contract for next season, if we can retain Tharme, Thompson and Rose over the summer, we have a very strong spine.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
LocalLadGTFC
April 7, 2024, 2:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Excellent player and has been fantastic for town.

Can't quite remember his contract? Did we sign him? I know he has played at a few levels above (and it shows) but ultimately he must only be here to get his fitness back up and to put himself in the shop window? I have no problem with this. He has probably kept this club playing league football next year. We are better for having him here.

We got there a bit early yesterday and whilst eating our chippy at the main entrance, he was talking with someone who I could only assume was a friend that had come along. Was earwigging on the convo and he was saying how much he's enjoyed being here and that he has his love for football back. I see someone put on a thread the other day linking to an article he did saying how he'd fallen out of love with football.. I would too playing for Cheltenham but he's been a signing that has probably saved our season and kept us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 27
golfer
April 8, 2024, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Fette Schlange
Nick Rizo

For those who can't remember him - "Futbolista Australiano"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2024, 4:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner

Certainly worth a try given the performances Hunt would appear to be putting in for York recently. You need a blend in midfield. In the Buckley teams we had the likes of Cunnington and Cockerill providing the solid core.  

I can’t remember DA’s exact words when he sent Hunt out on loan but it was along the lines of ‘he looks good but doesn’t always have an end product’. I’m sure that’s what he’ll be measured by on his return.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
bedders78
April 9, 2024, 9:34am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 12
I very much enjoy his beach volleyball diving headers

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bedders78
I very much enjoy his beach volleyball diving headers

Even more so that he didn't even adjust his gum chewing motion.  

After his initial impressive start I had started to cool a bit on Thompson but now he's shaken ring rust off and is getting fitter each game he's impressing me more and more every time I see him.

Much was made how much we would miss Conteh, but for the here and now I'd take Thompson every single day of the week.  Conteh's got potential but he needs to realise it, for too much of his short spell here he didn't.  He coasted through games and wasted opportunities to impose himself on it.  Thompson imposes himself from the off.  Be with the dirty, dogged and physical side of the game or with his quick feet and ability to get out of situations he's constantly impacting on play.

Bravery is one of the hardest traits to find in lower league footballers, by that I mean players who are prepared to take the ball when it's difficult rather than sticking your head in.  Too often this season our midfield (and team) have hidden from the play, largely because their confidence is shot.  Thompson hasn't done that once.  That type of bravery is contagious too and you can see others encouraged by what he does.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Maringer
April 9, 2024, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,660
Gold Stars: 189
Thompson is especially good at knocking the opposition player off balance in a challenge or when he is going up for a header without being penalised. It's one of the reasons he nicks the ball so often. Knock the opponent off balance, step in and nick the ball. I don't doubt that he wouldn't be able to do this nearly as much against better opponents, but he's playing League Two football right now and has a lot more know-how than many of the players he faces.

My only complaint is that he tends to hold onto the ball too long when winning possession in midfield. Gets caught on occasion when trying to overplay in such situations, but also slows down attacks. This might change next season if we start to play a more expansive game instead of doggedly trying to grind out results.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Ah you see I've noticed him holding onto it but I feel is more because he hasn't got the players around him making the right movement into the space he wants, rather they're a bit flat and stationary.  

Perhaps a case that he needs to adjust his expectations of the players around him a little, but also encourages me of what he'll be able to do when he's got better players around him.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
NorthseaMariner
April 9, 2024, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
I agree, which is why I suggested if Hunt would fit in better with Thompson behind him. Hunt can find the right space, but for me he tends to play too deep and then can get caught, giving the ball away in the wrong places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Mikey_345
April 9, 2024, 3:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Maringer

My only complaint is that he tends to hold onto the ball too long when winning possession in midfield. Gets caught on occasion when trying to overplay in such situations, but also slows down attacks. This might change next season if we start to play a more expansive game instead of doggedly trying to grind out results.

Very minor thing, and even writing it i feel harsh mentioning it as he has been excellent since coming in. When in a tight space, he loves a drag back or to go back the way he's just come from.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
I agree, which is why I suggested if Hunt would fit in better with Thompson behind him. Hunt can find the right space, but for me he tends to play too deep and then can get caught, giving the ball away in the wrong places.

I'm all for Hunt getting a chance and have really championed him getting a consistent one.  But Artell isn't wrong when he says he has to warrant a place by impacting on games.  It's encouraging that Artell doesn't see him as a defensive midfielder but one who has to impact play further forward.  On paper, yeah he and Thompson could do well.  I'd perhaps be concerned that just the two of them lacks a bit of mobility and someone who's going to get around the pitch though, suppose it all depends on the system that Artell will use next season.
Regardless of who he's paired with or in what system, Hunt has to start delivering ASAP.  

Really hoping the York move is the Jack Lester to Doncaster or more recently Charles Vernam to Chorley kickstart for his career, I think he'll get a chance under Artell in the pre-season games but I don't think he'll wait forever for him to justify the chance.  Big junction ahead for the lad in his career.

Back to Thompson though, I think the other thing he's brought to the side is a bit of under the radar shithousery.  His booking that he picked up on Saturday was just perfect.  Quick turnover of play, we're vulnerable to their counter and he just wipes the lad out.  Takes the foul, doesn't even bother checking to see if he's booked and struts back into position.  Cold, ruthless but bloody effective.  It's those little subtle teams that the good teams have and the struggling ones don't.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Curtis Thompson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.