MuddyWaters
April 8, 2024, 4:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,282
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner

Certainly worth a try given the performances Hunt would appear to be putting in for York recently. You need a blend in midfield. In the Buckley teams we had the likes of Cunnington and Cockerill providing the solid core.  

I can’t remember DA’s exact words when he sent Hunt out on loan but it was along the lines of ‘he looks good but doesn’t always have an end product’. I’m sure that’s what he’ll be measured by on his return.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
bedders78
April 9, 2024, 9:34am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
I very much enjoy his beach volleyball diving headers

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from bedders78
I very much enjoy his beach volleyball diving headers

Even more so that he didn't even adjust his gum chewing motion.  

After his initial impressive start I had started to cool a bit on Thompson but now he's shaken ring rust off and is getting fitter each game he's impressing me more and more every time I see him.

Much was made how much we would miss Conteh, but for the here and now I'd take Thompson every single day of the week.  Conteh's got potential but he needs to realise it, for too much of his short spell here he didn't.  He coasted through games and wasted opportunities to impose himself on it.  Thompson imposes himself from the off.  Be with the dirty, dogged and physical side of the game or with his quick feet and ability to get out of situations he's constantly impacting on play.

Bravery is one of the hardest traits to find in lower league footballers, by that I mean players who are prepared to take the ball when it's difficult rather than sticking your head in.  Too often this season our midfield (and team) have hidden from the play, largely because their confidence is shot.  Thompson hasn't done that once.  That type of bravery is contagious too and you can see others encouraged by what he does.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Maringer
April 9, 2024, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
Thompson is especially good at knocking the opposition player off balance in a challenge or when he is going up for a header without being penalised. It's one of the reasons he nicks the ball so often. Knock the opponent off balance, step in and nick the ball. I don't doubt that he wouldn't be able to do this nearly as much against better opponents, but he's playing League Two football right now and has a lot more know-how than many of the players he faces.

My only complaint is that he tends to hold onto the ball too long when winning possession in midfield. Gets caught on occasion when trying to overplay in such situations, but also slows down attacks. This might change next season if we start to play a more expansive game instead of doggedly trying to grind out results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Ah you see I've noticed him holding onto it but I feel is more because he hasn't got the players around him making the right movement into the space he wants, rather they're a bit flat and stationary.  

Perhaps a case that he needs to adjust his expectations of the players around him a little, but also encourages me of what he'll be able to do when he's got better players around him.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
NorthseaMariner
April 9, 2024, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
I agree, which is why I suggested if Hunt would fit in better with Thompson behind him. Hunt can find the right space, but for me he tends to play too deep and then can get caught, giving the ball away in the wrong places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Mikey_345
April 9, 2024, 3:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,553
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Maringer

My only complaint is that he tends to hold onto the ball too long when winning possession in midfield. Gets caught on occasion when trying to overplay in such situations, but also slows down attacks. This might change next season if we start to play a more expansive game instead of doggedly trying to grind out results.

Very minor thing, and even writing it i feel harsh mentioning it as he has been excellent since coming in. When in a tight space, he loves a drag back or to go back the way he's just come from.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
I agree, which is why I suggested if Hunt would fit in better with Thompson behind him. Hunt can find the right space, but for me he tends to play too deep and then can get caught, giving the ball away in the wrong places.

I'm all for Hunt getting a chance and have really championed him getting a consistent one.  But Artell isn't wrong when he says he has to warrant a place by impacting on games.  It's encouraging that Artell doesn't see him as a defensive midfielder but one who has to impact play further forward.  On paper, yeah he and Thompson could do well.  I'd perhaps be concerned that just the two of them lacks a bit of mobility and someone who's going to get around the pitch though, suppose it all depends on the system that Artell will use next season.
Regardless of who he's paired with or in what system, Hunt has to start delivering ASAP.  

Really hoping the York move is the Jack Lester to Doncaster or more recently Charles Vernam to Chorley kickstart for his career, I think he'll get a chance under Artell in the pre-season games but I don't think he'll wait forever for him to justify the chance.  Big junction ahead for the lad in his career.

Back to Thompson though, I think the other thing he's brought to the side is a bit of under the radar shithousery.  His booking that he picked up on Saturday was just perfect.  Quick turnover of play, we're vulnerable to their counter and he just wipes the lad out.  Takes the foul, doesn't even bother checking to see if he's booked and struts back into position.  Cold, ruthless but bloody effective.  It's those little subtle teams that the good teams have and the struggling ones don't.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Curtis Thompson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.