GrimPol
April 7, 2024, 11:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -756
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A 🌉keen Newport fan on the BBC match comments said that was as good as any performance that the had seen from any team this season.  He was baffled as to why we are in such a dire league position.  

It's because that's not how we have played this season. Great as the result was on Sat, we gain 3 points, every one loses below us, who will put their mortgage on us turning up in Harrogate this Tuesday and playing like that? Of course, we may, but then we have seen it all before, and this forum has been full of "we have turned a corner" only to be humiliated the next match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
RonMariner
April 7, 2024, 11:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,774
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimPol

It's because that's not how we have played this season. Great as the result was on Sat, we gain 3 points, every one loses below us, who will put their mortgage on us turning up in Harrogate this Tuesday and playing like that? Of course, we may, but then we have seen it all before, and this forum has been full of "we have turned a corner" only to be humiliated the next match.

Well we have only lost twice in the last ten games, both against two of the best teams in the division. We also had a six game unbeaten run and earned points away at three teams in the top ten during this spell.

So I don’t think it is accurate to talk about us being humiliated in respect of our performances over the last ten games. I think we have certainly turned a corner since the low point in February and the evidence supports that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
HarrogateMariner
April 7, 2024, 6:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I actually enjoyed the match yesterday. Even though we were only one up, I never really felt like Newport looked anywhere close to getting back level. Clearly an end of season run out for them as they can't be that bad normally.

Thought Artell/ Pearson got tactics spot on,  Vernham at left wing back was a good move. No one had a bad game, with Thompson, Green and Rose my stand out performers. Vernham excellent first half but was hardly involved second half.

I still don't think this team is as bad as our results this season, as weird as that sounds. I would be very cautious about the so called big clear out this summer. With the exception of after our last relegation, I am not sure this has ever worked in our favour. Not saying we don't need new players- of course we do, but I would rather we look for 5 or 6 quality signings that would make a difference and keep a number of the present squad that can do a job, than a complete overhaul of 15 new players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
jamesgtfc
April 7, 2024, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,027
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from quebec38
Fantastic day all round yesterday. We don’t play the most attractive stuff right now but when we can’t sprinkle any magic, we at least now make sure it’s nigh on impossible for the opposition to get through us. Every single player puffed their chest out again and worked their balls off right to the final whistle.

It was a forced change but they probably didn’t anticipate Vernam playing quite as advanced as he did yesterday and he was another standout performer. Crunching tackles early on but from there on he barely had to defend and ran their defence ragged in some difficult to defend areas.

Thompson again absolutely rock solid; he is so important to us. He does all the dirty work plus he is so calm on the ball and good with it as well. Not shy to drop a shoulder or let the ball run across his body and play his way out of danger. Rose will end player of the season and rightly so, but Thompson won’t be far behind for many which is some story seeing as he signed only in January.

Not sure why but I was surprised when Artell said it was our third 1-0 home victory in our last five so I had a look at what we have done since the Doncaster shambles.

Home
P 5
W 3
D 1 (stoppage time equaliser)
L 1 (money bags FC)

Away
P 5
W 0
D 4 (had the lead in three games)
L 1 (promotion chasers)

Not a lot of goals scored but who would care after what we witnessed against Doncaster. It was all about picking up points from there on and we have found an effective way to do so.

Everyone should be so proud of themselves this morning. Buzzing now for Tuesday night.

Maintain that form over a season and it's 64/65 points. We finished 11th with 61 points last season and after this season, I'd take that kind of form next season to get us back on track.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
chaos33
April 7, 2024, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,970
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Maintain that form over a season and it's 64/65 points. We finished 11th with 61 points last season and after this season, I'd take that kind of form next season to get us back on track.

The Doncaster game was an epiphany. At that point we were all over the place in terms of ‘basics’. So many of us pleaded….’abandon the total football for becoming hard to beat, tight, capable of grinding out scruffy, messy, ugly results and get safe’. Crucially, and with one or two exceptions where we’ve reverted to defending like under 10’s on a cold day, we’ve done that, and would you believe it…? We’ve clawed and lurched our way to near safety from the the depths of hopeless and hapless sh1tness and looming relegation. I’m thankful for that stark reality being actioned.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.