Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from diehardmariner

Two different target audiences.

This isn't bucket and spade, dipping your toe in the water with a hankie on your head. It's serious swimming. Those who would be interested in the facility are probably less interested in having an ice-cream and fish & chips.

The docks itself is the absolute perfect location for it.

HHmm thanks for that post / opinion/ i see your point
It could in turn bring a uniqueness to the town

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
Swansea_Mariner
March 31, 2024, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63

Two different target audiences.

This isn't bucket and spade, dipping your toe in the water with a hankie on your head. It's serious swimming. Those who would be interested in the facility are probably less interested in having an ice-cream and fish & chips.

The docks itself is the absolute perfect location for it.

I have no idea about this type of sport, are there national/ international type events that could be attracted to the Town by such a facility?

Where I live there was money spent on mountain biking trails and we get a lot of international visitors along the routes and events a couple of times a year too. Outdoor sports are popular these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
White_shorts
March 31, 2024, 2:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
It's good that we finally have some clarity with what's happening on the docks.  I'd still like to know exactly why the stadium plan was dropped.

I'm not too unhappy.  Shutes was planning to make the same mistake as the 1982 board.  One upper tier would have ruined the atmosphere right from the start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
White_shorts
March 31, 2024, 3:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face
State of this thread. There’s no wonder most young people leave at the first opportunity & the town’s a shitehole. One bloke with little real attachment to the town spends a wedge buying land & planning a massive redevelopment of the docks, trying to bring in investment, and a load of old codgers dump all over it.

Are you saying an outdoor pool and some commercial, office and light industrial units will encourage Grimsby's brightest young minds to stay in the town?  Okay, I won't try to argue with that.

Swimming is a very good form of exercise.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
White_shorts
March 31, 2024, 3:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from barralad
With the greàtest of respect that "plan" came from somebody who pulled out of another plan to buy the club. The article talks about Shutes speaking to John Fenty. Maybe I'm being over simplistic but it is hardly surprising that an up to date plan doesn't include an aspect he isn't invested in-unless you are suggesting that he should build the stadium and rent to the club?
If there is nothing from the current owners then, just my opinion, the criticism is a bit unfair.

Stockwood and Pettit were part of the original consortium backing Shutes.  The latter quit at the last minute for "personal reasons", but didn't say if that meant the stadium was dead.  All we've had from the owners since then is "relocation not a priority".

They are being very savvy, very professional in a way.  They're not making promises they might not be able to keep, but equally not disenchanting ambitious supporters by saying "we have no intention of leaving Blundell Park".

They must realise that BP is an embarrassment in the post-Taylor era, but won't admit it.  That would be like Gerald Ratner saying his jewelry was cr@p.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
LocalLadGTFC
March 31, 2024, 4:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from White_shorts

Stockwood and Pettit were part of the original consortium backing Shutes.  The latter quit at the last minute for "personal reasons", but didn't say if that meant the stadium was dead.  All we've had from the owners since then is "relocation not a priority".

They are being very savvy, very professional in a way.  They're not making promises they might not be able to keep, but equally not disenchanting ambitious supporters by saying "we have no intention of leaving Blundell Park".

They must realise that BP is an embarrassment in the post-Taylor era, but won't admit it.  That would be like Gerald Ratner saying his jewelry was cr@p.

If you think BP is an embarrassment mate, you should travel away... Sutton and Barrow make BP look like a work of art. 75% of the stadiums in this division are shitholes
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 65 - 70
LocalLadGTFC
March 31, 2024, 4:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137

I never claimed it was my plan. I'm not the one knocking plans to start with.

There's such an irony in you bemoaning white elephants when you had your tongue up the bottom of the king of white elephants for so long. How much was the bridge 20feet away from a perfectly good bridge? £1million upwards wasn't it. And who can forget the Palm Tree? Impossible to forget it because the pavements still direct to it!

I always knew about OWS but didn't actually realise how big it was until I ended up at an event with one of my friends, so many people there and like you've said it's growing. It's something myself i've wanted to get into but didn't really know how to get started, i've been in the docks but again like you stated before it wasn't for me. I'll definitely be giving this new place a try if it gets built.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 70
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 31, 2024, 4:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,972
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from White_shorts

Unfortunately, the previous bloke in charge decided to either not spend money on the stadium or do it on the cheap. Add that to the £2-3m (not a clue at how much tbh) that was wasted on vanity projects that never materialised, then those 1878 chaps that you’ve castigated would have had possibly more money to invest into the facilities.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
Theimperialcoroner
March 31, 2024, 6:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,261
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Stadium

Laughably out of touch.
You don't seem to understand the range of activities you can promote with such a development.

People like him are tarantulas who want to decry everything. A significant reason why our town is held back.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
diehardmariner
March 31, 2024, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,670
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I have no idea about this type of sport, are there national/ international type events that could be attracted to the Town by such a facility?

Where I live there was money spent on mountain biking trails and we get a lot of international visitors along the routes and events a couple of times a year too. Outdoor sports are popular these days.

Hand on heart I don't know if could be of the scale to attract international competition. At present it's difficult to see beyond not having the other infrastructure to support that.

However, everything has to have a starting point.  What I can say with a degree of certainty though is that the popularity is growing and there's a distinct lack of good OWS venues, especially in this region of the country.

I've said a few times before that I really believe and hope in the potential for what that stretch of water could do for the area. Right from Ross Tiger all the way up to the Pier.  Fingers crossed this could be the catalyst.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › No Docks Stadium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.