Yossarian
February 25, 2024, 10:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,075
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Was always in my England mavericks team that I’d pick and enact their games in the garden as a kid. Bowles up front with Frank Worthigton, Rod Marsh Tony Currie and Alan Hudson playing behind them. Dave Thomas out wide. No boring Revie teams for me. The great QPR side of 75 was under represented in the England team - too much style for Revie. I expect a partnership of Bowles and Worthington would have rocketed the apres-match bar bill and they would have scored plenty off the pitch as well…RIP

Not much tracking back in that team!

It is always interesting to see the game back in the 70s (before my time).  Slower, but also more brutal.  A terrible pitches.  

Putting those players up against the highly trained players on today is probably not a fair comparison, but it certainly looked a lot of fun back in those days.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
thornemariner
February 25, 2024, 10:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
West London legend.

He also played for my second side Brentford (though before I lived down there).

One of his locals was the Bricklayers Arms on Ealing Road just down from the ground and a regular haunt of mine. About the only 'home fans only' pub in the vicinity.

Much missed by Bees fans who had the privilege of watching him play for them.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
MuddyWaters
February 25, 2024, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Tweet 1761502487691878622 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Limerick Mariner
February 25, 2024, 4:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,700
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Yossarian

Not much tracking back in that team!

It is always interesting to see the game back in the 70s (before my time).  Slower, but also more brutal.  A terrible pitches.  

Putting those players up against the highly trained players on today is probably not a fair comparison, but it certainly looked a lot of fun back in those days.

That early to mid-70s was great for top-flight and European football. A whole range of characters in the game, with panto-villains Leeds to hate and a floundering and ultimately relegated Manchester United. In Europe, we could love Ajax and hate the Italians and Bayern (unless they were playing Leeds). And then there were the eastern bloc sides - nearly all called Dynamo something but sprinkled with other weird names like Ujpest Doza. Also there was proper two legged knock-out football instead of the endless and dull CL, EL and ECL.

But maybe it’s just my age…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
HerveJosse
February 25, 2024, 5:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

That early to mid-70s was great for top-flight and European football. A whole range of characters in the game, with panto-villains Leeds to hate and a floundering and ultimately relegated Manchester United. In Europe, we could love Ajax and hate the Italians and Bayern (unless they were playing Leeds). And then there were the eastern bloc sides - nearly all called Dynamo something but sprinkled with other weird names like Ujpest Doza. Also there was proper two legged knock football instead of the endless and dull CL, EL and ECL.

But maybe it’s just my age…

And everybody wanted to win FA and League cups and fielded their strongest teams and there was no
tin pot trophy . One sub and a first team squad of 15 . To get sent off you had to murder somebody
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
mimma
February 25, 2024, 9:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Bowles also played for Orient. I went to Brisbane Road when he played against us. The Town fans were giving him abuse all game, but he won and took a penalty at our end. He scored and gave it back to us celebrating. A true charater which, as others have said, are sadly lacking these days. Great player, would turn defenders inside out. RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
TownSNAFU5
February 26, 2024, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
I read this weekend that Stan Bowles was voted the all-time fans’ favourite player at both QPR and at their close rivals Brentford,  

Some accolade - times two!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stan Bowles died at age 75

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.