2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 24, 2024, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
A very talented and skilful player.  Still remember him on a wet and muddy night at BP dribbling past Town players as if they were statues.

Playing for Crewe or Carlisle.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Teestogreen
February 24, 2024, 8:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
He. was playing for Crewe - scored twice as I remember in an unexpected defeat 2-3 - think it was the the McMenemy season when Town won Division 4.
Very talented player

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 24, 2024, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Teestogreen
He. was playing for Crewe - scored twice as I remember in an unexpected defeat 2-3 - think it was the the McMenemy season when Town won Division 4.
Very talented player

It was, on loan from Man City I believe, on a Tuesday night and one of his goals was a 25 yard screamer that it was difficult not to applaud even if it was for the opposition. Loved watching him play for QPR in the seventies.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
grimsby pete
February 24, 2024, 8:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
We only lost 2 homes games that season both in the same week.

Crewe was one and Stan won that game on his own.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
DB
February 24, 2024, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,018
Gold Stars: 386
RIP. Another great player has gone. His skills will be remembered.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
HerveJosse
February 24, 2024, 9:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It was, on loan from Man City I believe, on a Tuesday night and one of his goals was a 25 yard screamer that it was difficult not to applaud even if it was for the opposition. Loved watching him play for QPR in the seventies.

The 25 yarder was a rocket into the Osmond end very late in the game for a 3-2 win  I was a 15 year year standing in the pontoon and I still remember it clearly . Yes it was our championship season and we lost two home games consecutively Tuesday and Saturday our only home defeats that season The other if I remember correctly was 1 or 2 nil to Southport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Limerick Mariner
February 24, 2024, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Was always in my England mavericks team that I’d pick and enact their games in the garden as a kid. Bowles up front with Frank Worthigton, Rod Marsh Tony Currie and Alan Hudson playing behind them. Dave Thomas out wide. No boring Revie teams for me. The great QPR side of 75 was under represented in the England team - too much style for Revie. I expect a partnership of Bowles and Worthington would have rocketed the apres-match bar bill and they would have scored plenty off the pitch as well…RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Teesknees
February 24, 2024, 10:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from HerveJosse

The 25 yarder was a rocket into the Osmond end very late in the game for a 3-2 win  I was a 15 year year standing in the pontoon and I still remember it clearly . Yes it was our championship season and we lost two home games consecutively Tuesday and Saturday our only home defeats that season The other if I remember correctly was 1 or 2 nil to Southport

I'd totally forgot that untilI read that, I must have been about 15 and stood in the Barrett stand, 2-2 and I thought we'd at least got a draw and the Stan hit a screamer from outside the box! Like a lot of other players,gifted but troubled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
trickeymickey
February 24, 2024, 10:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

He wasn't on loan at the Alex.  He was in trouble at City all the time.  They loaned him to Bury but he didnt make it to Gigg Lane. He was then sacked.  There was a rumour that he put one on Malcolm Allison.  So he had some redeeming features.  He was sold for £12,000 to Carlisle as part of the "Sell one a year to survive" policy.
I edited the sale figure I had put £90.000.  This getting old thing makes you do things like that - sorry lads.
Also a quote from Ernie Tagg (2nd best alex manager- only got the job and dumped his milk round because you stole Jimmy Mcguigan Thank you ever so much). If Stan could pass the bookies as well as he passes a ball he would be a very rich man."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Heswall Mariner
February 24, 2024, 10:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
I think he once said that he was thought of as a footballer who gambled  - but actually he was a gambler who played football.
He remains one of my real heroes - up there with the best.
RIP Stan Bowles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stan Bowles died at age 75

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.