7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
MNH1972
February 17, 2024, 11:36pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +215
Gold Stars: 5
If you play Clifton, green and Andrew’s in midfield you deserve to be sacked end of
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heisenberg
February 17, 2024, 11:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from MNH1972
If you play Clifton, green and Andrew’s in midfield you deserve to be sacked end of

I cannot with confidence say that Thompson is good because the only time I’ve seen him was last week against Stockport, and he was abysmal, but I would assume our best midfield is Thompson, Hunt and whoever.

I know Hunt has his enemies, but how could having him in the side possibly be negative, considering what we’ve seen in the last 2 home games?

If he’s fit, I’d play Hunt every game. He’s hit and miss, but right now we have nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
male private Nale
February 18, 2024, 12:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Thompson dropped from squad after bust up with Artell post Stockport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
out of town
February 18, 2024, 12:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from male private Nale

Where did you hear that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
Swansea_Mariner
February 18, 2024, 12:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63

I mean this sounds ridiculous, but at the moment you just never know, where did this come from?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 12:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Well something has gone on with the players they have downed tools
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
ginnywings
February 18, 2024, 1:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
When I saw the team, I thought that the midfield looked terrible on paper, and it was even worse on grass.

Looks like he decided to go more battling and pragmatic, and binned off Arthur, who is the only one who looks technically good enough for us, but ultimately doesn't really do much in term of goals or assists.

The midfield we have is simply not good enough, whichever combination you decide to pick. there are just too many weaknesses in there, and I'm still baffled as to how we have ended up with not one, not two, but three inexperienced loan players in and around the team. It's extremely poor recruitment and asking for trouble.

Other teams don't arrive at BP with those inexperienced players anywhere near the starting eleven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
davmariner
February 18, 2024, 1:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,930
Gold Stars: 79
Thompson is a walking injury I’m told by an acquaintance who supports one of his former clubs. Even when he does play, he’s a banker to be subbed as he can’t last more than 70 minutes.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
Alan Buckley
February 18, 2024, 6:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Approval: -250
Let’s be honest. The only reason Harry Clifton is anywhere near this squad is because he’s a Grimsby lad. So what? So are thousands of us!
You can’t try to play a passing style of football with Harry Clifton playing 90 minutes in centre midfield.
He has zero ZERO qualities to be a professional centre midfielder, poor touch, poor passing, poor technique, poor decision making.
Oh yeah but he runs around a lot and has a great engine, so? So does most other league 2 midfielders but they also don’t give the ball away constantly.
He wouldn’t get a game for Town reserve teams of years gone past let alone the first team!
Sooner he leaves the club the better so we can get past this ‘oh but he’s a Grimsby lad’ balderdash.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
newarkmariner
February 18, 2024, 7:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Alan Buckley
Let’s be honest. The only reason Harry Clifton is anywhere near this squad is because he’s a Grimsby lad. So what? So are thousands of us!
You can’t try to play a passing style of football with Harry Clifton playing 90 minutes in centre midfield.
He has zero ZERO qualities to be a professional centre midfielder, poor touch, poor passing, poor technique, poor decision making.
Oh yeah but he runs around a lot and has a great engine, so? So does most other league 2 midfielders but they also don’t give the ball away constantly.
He wouldn’t get a game for Town reserve teams of years gone past let alone the first team!
Sooner he leaves the club the better so we can get past this ‘oh but he’s a Grimsby lad’ balderdash.

absolutely agree ,ive said the very same over and over again,been shocking all season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 18, 2024, 8:28am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Quoted from newarkmariner

absolutely agree ,ive said the very same over and over again,been shocking all season

Me too, being saying the same for three seasons but normally I just got red crosses and posts questioning my sanity in response. Wish HC had proved me wrong and we had at least one decent midfield player but alas he appears to be getting worse.

Still we have been told Sheffield Wed and Barnsley were desperate to sign him but if only he had gone to Forest Green we might have a better chance of staying up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
male private Nale
February 18, 2024, 9:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I mean this sounds ridiculous, but at the moment you just never know, where did this come from?

Was told during the game by someone whose lad is a youth player , it supposedly happened and I’m inclined to believe it as he has no reason to make it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
dapperz fun pub
February 18, 2024, 9:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,934
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Alan Buckley

Clifton isn’t good enough for league football he’s a top end non league player , he just doesn’t read the game quickly enough we all know his commitment but I’m afraid he lacks quality and he should have gone in the summer.  In  my opinion the whole club is stale from woods who produces a great under 18 team who never transition a player to the mens game to Shaun Pearson who appears to have been made no 2 on the basis of he’s a good chap.
Regarding the current squad I don’t think anyone of them are league footballer except the one obvious one and playing a young boy between the sticks is suicidal.  Sack artel asap and give it to woodhouse what we got to lose ? Cos we’re down if he stays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 9:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Clifton isn’t good enough for league football he’s a top end non league player , he just doesn’t read the game quickly enough we all know his commitment but I’m afraid he lacks quality and he should have gone in the summer.  In  my opinion the whole club is stale from woods who produces a great under 18 team who never transition a player to the mens game to Shaun Pearson who appears to have been made no 2 on the basis of he’s a good chap.
Regarding the current squad I don’t think anyone of them are league footballer except the one obvious one and playing a young boy between the sticks is suicidal.  Sack artel asap and give it to woodhouse what we got to lose ? Cos we’re down if he stays

His career will be in the league with or without us.
If he leaves in the summer it won't be for non league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
Theimperialcoroner
February 18, 2024, 9:22am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102

Was told during the game by someone whose lad is a youth player , it supposedly happened and I’m inclined to believe it as he has no reason to make it up.

You’ve heard it at least 3rd hand and yet you post it on here as fact in the first place. You ignore that he was out warming up and originally in the team yesterday because you want to go on another of your excrement stirring missions.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2024, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

You’ve heard it at least 3rd hand and yet you post it on here as fact in the first place. You ignore that he was out warming up and originally in the team yesterday because you want to go on another of your excrement stirring missions.

Was he? He wasn’t on the team sheet at 2pm and didn’t appear in the warm up.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
dapperz fun pub
February 18, 2024, 9:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

His career will be in the league with or without us.
If he leaves in the summer it won't be for non league.

I hope so but all pro players in league football need some technical ability.. I just don’t see it with Harry.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
Alan Buckley
February 18, 2024, 9:35am
Beer Drinker

I was on board with your post until you said give it to Woodhouse 😂 a guy who had a rolls Royce budget in the north east counties league and couldn’t win the league and who has gone on to fail at every club he’s been at and left each club in a absolute shocking state once he’s played with it for a few months then got bored 😂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
dapperz fun pub
February 18, 2024, 9:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Alan Buckley

I was on board with your post until you said give it to Woodhouse 😂 a guy who had a rolls Royce budget in the north east counties league and couldn’t win the league and who has gone on to fail at every club he’s been at and left each club in a absolute shocking state once he’s played with it for a few months then got bored 😂

Probably a bit extreme lol but would it be any worse than it is now ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
Theimperialcoroner
February 18, 2024, 9:41am

Quoted from MuddyWaters

According to JT on the radio he was.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2024, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker

According to JT on the radio he was.

Tweet 1758853825979425221 will appear here...

That's the 2pm tweet
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
Theimperialcoroner
February 18, 2024, 9:53am

Quoted from MuddyWaters

Tweet 1758853825979425221 will appear here...

That's the 2pm tweet

JT said that when he arrived Thompson was out on the pitch and loosening up and in the team. Something changed between then and 2pm. I have no idea what, just repeating what he said. Perhaps an early fitness test?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
Alan Buckley
February 18, 2024, 9:54am
Beer Drinker

Probably a bit extreme lol but would it be any worse than it is now ?

I mean his last club marske have just failed to complete their league fixtures so although that might be a blessing for us with how we are performing, I would say yes, it could be much worse.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
toontown
February 18, 2024, 10:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Me too, being saying the same for three seasons but normally I just got red crosses and posts questioning my sanity in response. Wish HC had proved me wrong and we had at least one decent midfield player but alas he appears to be getting worse.

Still we have been told Sheffield Wed and Barnsley were desperate to sign him but if only he had gone to Forest Green we might have a better chance of staying up.

Two of those 3 seasons he was player of the year FFS!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
BrMarin
February 18, 2024, 11:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
JT said Thompson was supposed to be on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
chaos33
February 18, 2024, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
This is a big problem. Our centre backs are hopeless every game but we’ve no options to change really, unless we bring Mullarkey into the role (or one of the 2 new full backs) and perhaps Glennon back. Using Branwell would seem foolhardy. Similar with our centre midfielders. For me, you can’t play Clifton and Green as they both have similar weaknesses. Yesterdays three were all awful in every way so I’d reinstate Hunt and Holohan as they must surely be able to do better and have better technical ability. Don’t know about Thompson - haven’t seen him. I’d go Clifton, Holohan and Hunt for a game or two.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2024, 11:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
This is a big problem. Our centre backs are hopeless every game but we’ve no options to change really, unless we bring Mullarkey into the role (or one of the 2 new full backs) and perhaps Glennon back. Using Branwell would seem foolhardy. Similar with our centre midfielders. For me, you can’t play Clifton and Green as they both have similar weaknesses. Yesterdays three were all awful in every way so I’d reinstate Hunt and Holohan as they must surely be able to do better and have better technical ability. Don’t know about Thompson - haven’t seen him. I’d go Clifton, Holohan and Hunt for a game or two.

If Artell stays, you won't see Hunt.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
Maringer
February 18, 2024, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Clifton's best performances for us have always been out wide and, given that Eisa isn't scoring and has been hopeless defensively, I'd put Clifton in his place.

You know he's going to bust a gut, get up and down the line and help out in defence and he does have a goal in him when playing in wide positions. I know it is theoretically taking an attacking threat away, but I think he can still do enough in that regard and the extra help for the defence is much needed.

He's really not a central midfielder, however, at least not in the squad we currently have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer
Clifton's best performances for us have always been out wide and, given that Eisa isn't scoring and has been hopeless defensively, I'd put Clifton in his place.

You know he's going to bust a gut, get up and down the line and help out in defence and he does have a goal in him when playing in wide positions. I know it is theoretically taking an attacking threat away, but I think he can still do enough in that regard and the extra help for the defence is much needed.

He's really not a central midfielder, however, at least not in the squad we currently have.

This is what really infuriates me. Both Pearson and Davies will know that Clifton's best games have been out wide on the left, and to be fair to him he did do very well there. His energy to get up and down, and his attacking threat was great and he scored some goals. It suits his abilities as he doesn't need to see the wider picture like in central midfield, he just needs to own that left-hand side and help shore us up out there.

He looks like a poor player in central midfield by comparison.

Eisa has done nothing for weeks; surely to God the management team can see Clifton should take Eisa's place and Hunt or Holohan should be in central midfield?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
Roast Em Bobby
February 18, 2024, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I can't believe Andrews is not taking some stick on this thread, he's the worst of the lot for my money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
IowaMariner
February 18, 2024, 12:43pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +79
Gold Stars: 7
Agreed. Andrew’s is one paced, careless in possession and seldom involved. Just don’t see what he brings. Plus he’s a loan player. Surely we’ve got enough dodgy players of our own without using somebody else’s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
kafunanapar140909
February 18, 2024, 12:52pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
I’ve been enjoying the irony since Hurst left of people moaning about our wingers – Eisa in particular – not tracking back, and the calls for Harry to be played out wide because he’s better defensively. If we’re playing a four in midfield I totally agree that Harry should be LM. But the most infuriating thing about Harry, imo, is that because he is such a good runner, and so mobile, he often pops up in really dangerous positions. However his finishing is so spectacularly poor that it costs us in key moments (see the chance he put wide yesterday from the middle of the box).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
toontown
February 18, 2024, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Andrews Is spectacularly anonymous, if there is such a thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
February 18, 2024, 1:05pm
Guest User
Khouri was good enough to come on in Southampton game
Reply: 33 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2024, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from toontown
Andrews Is spectacularly anonymous, if there is such a thing

I don’t know about that. He was noticeably crap yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
dapperz fun pub
February 18, 2024, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
I’ve been enjoying the irony since Hurst left of people moaning about our wingers – Eisa in particular – not tracking back, and the calls for Harry to be played out wide because he’s better defensively. If we’re playing a four in midfield I totally agree that Harry should be LM. But the most infuriating thing about Harry, imo, is that because he is such a good runner, and so mobile, he often pops up in really dangerous positions. However his finishing is so spectacularly poor that it costs us in key moments (see the chance he put wide yesterday from the middle of the box).

Harry constantly gives the ball away that’s the most infuriating thing for me , I know we’re not allowed to criticise him on here ( he’s one of our own ) but for me bang him at right back or left back if he’s to carry on in the starting 11    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
Mappers
February 18, 2024, 3:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If Artell stays, you won't see Hunt.

I tend to agree

He's been injured , out of squad ,injured , out of the squad for selection reasons even though Davies,Pearson and Artell have all said 'he's a great trainer '

Weird
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 18, 2024, 4:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Quoted from toontown

Two of those 3 seasons he was player of the year FFS!

Because he was from Grimsby as he certainly has not been the best player in any season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
fishcake63
February 18, 2024, 4:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Andrews is so far inferior to hunt it's almost comical this fool cant see it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
Norseman
February 18, 2024, 11:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He was training with the first team on Bradley on Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
Theimperialcoroner
February 19, 2024, 11:27am

Some midfield Free Agents out there include Dan Gosling, Matty Longstaff and Connor Wickham. Of course I know nothing of their fitness or availability, but there are actually loads of players from higher up the leagues without a club who could surely help our wet bogroll of a midfield.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 11:42am
Champagne Drinker
We could still provide a midfield that would be competitive and able to grind out results .

Clifton tucked in off the left with Green and Thompson just sitting in the middle of the park (not emptying it out at will , which seems our favourite self destruct tactic)  with Vernam or Arthur providing a bit of width on the right .

Just go back to basic league 2 style and gain the points .

I don't think Artell is either capable or his ego is too big to be able to revert to any sort of regular play though . He said we were 'meh' and recently frowned upon Hurst's style of football .

That's probably the main reason I want him gone , I can't see anything changing at all , with us just receiving more pumpings at home .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
We could still provide a midfield that would be competitive and able to grind out results .

Clifton tucked in off the left with Green and Thompson just sitting in the middle of the park (not emptying it out at will , which seems our favourite self destruct tactic)  with Vernam or Arthur providing a bit of width on the right .

Just go back to basic league 2 style and gain the points .

I don't think Artell is either capable or his ego is too big to be able to revert to any sort of regular play though . He said we were 'meh' and recently frowned upon Hurst's style of football .

That's probably the main reason I want him gone , I can't see anything changing at all , with us just receiving more pumpings at home .

After Saturday, I don't know how anyone would put Green anywhere near the starting XI.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Maringer
February 19, 2024, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Some midfield Free Agents out there include Dan Gosling, Matty Longstaff and Connor Wickham. Of course I know nothing of their fitness or availability, but there are actually loads of players from higher up the leagues without a club who could surely help our wet bogroll of a midfield.

I always thought Wickham was a striker? Regardless, he's not kicked a ball since the end of last season so not even worth considering. Same goes for Longstaff, though he's a bit younger so might have retained a bit more fitness. Gosling has at least had a club this season so ought to be fitter.

I think we're clutching at straws trying to find an out of contract player to improve things. It's obvious why the straw-clutching is taking place, however.

Let's just hope that Thompson can get himself fit for most of the season as he's the only midfielder we have (other than Ainley) who has anything like the experience we desperately need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 12:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

After Saturday, I don't know how anyone would put Green anywhere near the starting XI.

I think he is being woefully exposed tbh - the manager is asking about 6 players to do a job they are not capable of .

Clifton can't play CM, again woefully exposed

Green,Clifton , Holahan and Glennon were all adequate last season in a team that finished 11th , I don't think they are as bad as they are being made to look in big D's system.

Where the hell is Glennon , Completely binned ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 19, 2024, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from Mappers

I think he is being woefully exposed tbh - the manager is asking about 6 players to do a job they are not capable of .

Clifton can't play CM, again woefully exposed

Where the hell is Glennon , Completely binned ?

Glennon is one of the many who shouldn’t play for the club again.  The problem is, there’s so many of them in that situation now, that you have to continue to play some of them to put out a team and fill the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Glennon is one of the many who shouldn’t play for the club again.  The problem is, there’s so many of them in that situation now, that you have to continue to play some of them to put out a team and fill the bench.

Hume is suffering the same situation as Glennon did - playing behind Eisa who is possibly the laziest footballer I've ever seen. Vernam's tracking back isn't much better either.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 12:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hume is suffering the same situation as Glennon did - playing behind Eisa who is possibly the laziest footballer I've ever seen. Vernam's tracking back isn't much better either.

That's why I think shove Clifton there he was an effective foil for Glennon last season - I do think he's a much better player out on the left rather than CM .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
Theimperialcoroner
February 19, 2024, 1:32pm

Quoted from Maringer

I always thought Wickham was a striker? Regardless, he's not kicked a ball since the end of last season so not even worth considering. Same goes for Longstaff, though he's a bit younger so might have retained a bit more fitness. Gosling has at least had a club this season so ought to be fitter.

I think we're clutching at straws trying to find an out of contract player to improve things. It's obvious why the straw-clutching is taking place, however.

Let's just hope that Thompson can get himself fit for most of the season as he's the only midfielder we have (other than Ainley) who has anything like the experience we desperately need.

Wasn’t making a case for any of them individually, merely that there are players out there. As it is I think our season is reliant on Thompsons glass knees.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
mariner91
February 19, 2024, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mappers

That's why I think shove Clifton there he was an effective foil for Glennon last season - I do think he's a much better player out on the left rather than CM .

That’s what I’d do too.

2 in front of the defence in the form of Holohan and Thompson if his legs work. Clifton wide left to give Hume more help, Vernam on the right and Hunt behind Rose. You’ve then got Gnahoua and Pyke to bring on out wide if you need. You could also potentially put Gnahoua behind Rose, he’s played there before. I’d drop Eisa completely, all season he’s pulled out of tackles and shown little appetite for the unglamorous side of the game but I thought his lack of efforts and balls on Saturday was an absolute disgrace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
Norseman
February 19, 2024, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48

Dale Vince will spend on these types of free agents to escape relegation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2024, 11:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Eisa provided the only slightly comical moment on Sat.  He was trying to run with the ball along the goal line to save a corner.

He mis-kicked it at pace right out for a corner.  

I agree he flatters to deceive.  He is a liability and not a team-player.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2024, 2:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
We're now left with Thompson, Andrews, Green, Holohan & Clifton (& Khouri who's injured again apparently?) till the end of the season?

Have any of them got any redeeming features albeit Gav's a top pro (just not very good!)
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
arryarryarry
February 22, 2024, 2:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We're now left with Thompson, Andrews, Green, Holohan & Clifton (& Khouri who's injured again apparently?) till the end of the season?

Have any of them got any redeeming features albeit Gav's a top pro (just not very good!)

No
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
mariner91
February 22, 2024, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from mariner91

That’s what I’d do too.

2 in front of the defence in the form of Holohan and Thompson if his legs work. Clifton wide left to give Hume more help, Vernam on the right and Hunt behind Rose. You’ve then got Gnahoua and Pyke to bring on out wide if you need. You could also potentially put Gnahoua behind Rose, he’s played there before. I’d drop Eisa completely, all season he’s pulled out of tackles and shown little appetite for the unglamorous side of the game but I thought his lack of efforts and balls on Saturday was an absolute disgrace.

Back to the drawing board then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
Balthazar Bullitt
February 22, 2024, 4:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from mariner91

Back to the drawing board then.

We've sent the drawing board on loan to York along with "the basics"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
It Bites
February 22, 2024, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,163
Gold Stars: 264
If it’s a magazine then Artell should subscribe
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
Swansea_Mariner
February 22, 2024, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Mappers

This would definitely make us harder to beat. Clifton needs to shuffle back out wide to provide more protection down the left hand side.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
louth_in_the_south
February 22, 2024, 6:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,686
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

This would definitely make us harder to beat. Clifton needs to shuffle back out wide to provide more protection down the left hand side.

A lightbulb moment for our manager as he reads this post from Swansea Mariner !!

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2024, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

A lightbulb moment for our manager as he reads this post from Swansea Mariner !!

Been saying it for weeks. It’s not Glennon that’s got worse, it’s the lack of cover in front of him.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
pen penfras
February 22, 2024, 8:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Been saying it for weeks. It’s not Glennon that’s got worse, it’s the lack of cover in front of him.

But we got roasted down that side last season too, even with Clifton in front of him. It wasn't as bad as with Eisa, but Glennon is not a good defender and we're not good enough to carry him in that way to make use of his good assets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 61
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Glennon is just a little bit slow to be successful against any winger with a bit of pace. If we're on the front foot, he can generally get away with it, but we've not been on the front foot very often of late, and he has been caught out way too often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Midfield today

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.