Lincoln Mariner 56
February 4, 2024, 7:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,761
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
It's a tough one as going on away days as a young man was a real adventure when I did it many years ago. Things sometimes got out of hand, which I found exciting at the time.

Now I'm happy with a pint of bitter and a decent chippy. I hope the young lads don't get themselves in serious bother, and I'd have a word if I saw it going that way, but we were all young once and finding our way in the world. The more sedate Main or Upper/Lower mindset eventually beckons us all in time, as it will with this bunch.

Have to agree with you many of us go through this teenage gang culture. We all wore Ben Sherman shirts, stay press trousers and Crombie coats and sang how we loved Harry Robert’s because he killed coppers. Now approaching 70 you cringe at how you behaved and having been arrested more than once the shame you bring on your family. But I matured, got a degree, a Masters degree and was Director of HR in public and private sector companies.

Hopefully most of these lads will turn out like the majority of my generation but a few, as always, will fall foul of the law and spend a significant part of their lives the wrong side of the law.

I get it’s now annoying behaviour to the majority but as teenagers you don’t really care or understand. Wish I hadn’t been a male private in those years, mostly for my mum, but it was exciting and for many part of growing up. Older people regularly spoke to me about my behaviour and eventually it does sink in so don’t be confrontational with them but a quiet word here and there might get them to start realising you can enjoy being a teenager without the crap behaviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
Mappers
February 4, 2024, 9:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,409
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Have to agree with you many of us go through this teenage gang culture. We all wore Ben Sherman shirts, stay press trousers and Crombie coats and sang how we loved Harry Robert’s because he killed coppers. Now approaching 70 you cringe at how you behaved and having been arrested more than once the shame you bring on your family. But I matured, got a degree, a Masters degree and was Director of HR in public and private sector companies.

Hopefully most of these lads will turn out like the majority of my generation but a few, as always, will fall foul of the law and spend a significant part of their lives the wrong side of the law.

I get it’s now annoying behaviour to the majority but as teenagers you don’t really care or understand. Wish I hadn’t been a male private in those years, mostly for my mum, but it was exciting and for many part of growing up. Older people regularly spoke to me about my behaviour and eventually it does sink in so don’t be confrontational with them but a quiet word here and there might get them to start realising you can enjoy being a teenager without the crap behaviour.

Good point , it's like when you get pi*sed off with your kids or they do something wrong  , I always try and think 'what was I like ?' In a lot of the situations no better no worse . No doubt some of the ones misbehaving will get a wake up call at some point or wake up  and get on the right track , sadly some won't but it's not just football fans in this regard is it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
Maringer
February 4, 2024, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I never went through the Stone Island/acting like dickheads stage and neither did any of my friends. Now, we went out every weekend on the lash (still do decades later, though much less frequently!), but pretty much never got involved in any sort of a scuffle and the incredibly rare occasions there was any trouble, it was always forced on us. I've never acted like a twit on the train either. On the other hand, I've been threatened/menaced a few times by quite a few dickheads for no real reason. More often in Cleethorpes/Grimsby than not, but that's not surprising as I've been out here so much more than elsewhere!

Regarding the football, I've been to probably 40+ grounds to watch Town play (Torquay southernmost, Sunderland farthest north). Never got into any trouble, though I've been threatened a few times, obviously. Once or twice by drunk up Town fans as well, I seem to recall.

Not sure if it's because I had a pretty stable upbringing (as, I'd imagine did most of my friends) and didn't see any sort of violence or braggadocio at home, but I've never felt the urge to 'act up' after some beers in the way that some people do.

Life would be much better for everyone (including the folk acting like dickheads), if they could control themselves a bit better, or at least not use booze as an excuse to act the male private.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 4, 2024, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179

Certainly not ignorant thank you and well qualified
To comment

Serving or living??

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
It Bites
February 5, 2024, 7:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,259
Gold Stars: 266

What do you know about serving, apart from in the local chip shop?

Conscription or Your Job ? It’s a huge difference
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 5, 2024, 8:07am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Serving or living??

Ok then yes i will answer your question but first
Ask this thread to moved to "non footie".
Also offer up a public apology to you on this forum
If my comment(s) ,phrases caused any offence.

The term " Away day to Londonderry " a book title in itself comes from when i served over there, the first tour which over time of 22 years equates to 5 and 1/2 years.
Part of our "Op's cycle" on a 2 year tour was wait for it
Another phrase "Rent a Company" or "Martini Company = Anytime Any where"  one day we went into a briefing  when one of the lads called out that "Away day" phrase, which a load of us laughed then got told  to shut up.
The memory of that never left me and others when we meet up .
So when i started reading this thread and comments
Thinking of the state of our present Armed Forces  The Royal Navy struggling to maintain a fleet and the army having recruiting and retention problems.
I don't  like the word conscription  prefer
National Service would be a way of changing the fabric of the nations attitude and approach to life is the way i would put , not like the old fellahs would say"Knock some sense into ya!"
I know from experience  it will not work or suit everybody as some are non compatible to military training /life,so there you go after all that!!
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 5, 2024, 8:07am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Serving or living??

Ok then yes i will answer your question but first
Ask this thread to moved to "non footie".
Also offer up a public apology to you on this forum
If my comment(s) ,phrases caused any offence.

The term " Away day to Londonderry " a book title in itself comes from when i served over there, the first tour which over time of 22 years equates to 5 and 1/2 years.
Part of our "Op's cycle" on a 2 year tour was wait for it
Another phrase "Rent a Company" or "Martini Company = Anytime Any where"  one day we went into a briefing  when one of the lads called out that "Away day" phrase, which a load of us laughed then got told  to shut up.
The memory of that never left me and others when we meet up .
So when i started reading this thread and comments
Thinking of the state of our present Armed Forces  The Royal Navy struggling to maintain a fleet and the army having recruiting and retention problems.
I don't  like the word conscription  prefer
National Service would be a way of changing the fabric of the nations attitude and approach to life is the way i would put , not like the old fellahs would say"Knock some sense into ya!"
I know from experience  it will not work or suit everybody as some are non compatible to military training /life,so there you go after all that!!
UTM

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
February 5, 2024, 8:10am
Guest User

What do you know about serving, apart from in the local chip shop?

Probably a lot more than you.  A few of us on this forum have 'walked the walk' several times in N Ireland.

Reply: 47 - 71
The Caterham Mariner
February 5, 2024, 8:14am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Conscription or Your Job ? It’s a huge difference

Yes time to move this thread before it gets to  "catty"
Hence my long answer plus apology to WozofGrimsby" reply .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
Maringer
February 5, 2024, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Some countries have compulsory national service. In general, the ones that share borders with Russia or are close to them!

My sister lived in Finland for a decade and had a Finnish boyfriend for a lot at that time. He was, I think, a territorial lieutenant (perhaps even a captain?) from his national service and I have a feeling he was required to go on refresher exercises to for a few weeks from time to time. Obviously, this is entirely within the culture due to the country's history, so his bosses just covered his job while he was out on exercises.

With the Russians back to more than sabre-rattling, it might well be necessary for us to bring back a limited amount of national service to prepare for potential future conflict. Though, it will probably be swarms of drones controlled by AI which will determine future wars, if Ukraine is anything to go by.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Embarrassed/ashamed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.