September 13, 2023, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Call me an old git if you want…..

Modern society is Wrexham society.

I don’t like it, but I have no choice other than to put up with it. And resent it.  Or curl up and die.

Personally I think things can only get worse……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 98
marinerjase
September 13, 2023, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,669
Gold Stars: 147
I’m non-plussed about Wrexham if I’m honest - nothing against them or their owners. One thing I would say is the owners have done a lot of good - not just for the club, but the community - and look like they are in it for the long haul. Even the amounts they are spending and paying on salaries - ridiculous for League 2 imho - but there’s nothing to say it’s wrong. If they can afford it and aren’t breaking any rules then fair play/good luck to them. We’ve seen owners with money before end up breaking a club, I genuinely think these two won’t ever do that, think that whatever happens they’ll ensure the clubs future is secure long after they’ve departed.

The two things  people don’t tend to like are the ‘underdog’ tag which has been used..and the overkill coverage in media and tv. Can’t blame the owners/club for that - all part of the game and growing their support globally. The documentary was largely enjoyable, sometimes a bit cringe (the explanations to American followers) but again part of the plan so fair play - think it’s worked thus far. And I liked the way they tried to get players known away from football, and their stories, both successful, not so and sad (the lad who lost their child) .

Think that play off game will be etched in the memory for life, for both Town and Wrexham fans - and Mullin does test the patience of fans of other clubs, gets away with a lot and more in all honesty. There’s no defence for pinching a ball into the net, and knowing you’ve done it - but as has been said plenty players before and after will get away with what they can.

Saturday?? Don’t honestly know what to expect..head is saying we might get a pasting..heart is saying we can get something. If we go and invite pressure we’ll get found out, as good as our centre backs have been thus far. Sides will look to exploit us down our left side, anyone with pace will have some joy. And Wrexham look a lot stronger in some areas than previously. But I’ve never really been impressed with them the other way - concede far too many..and that’s why I hope we go and have a go. A Hurst team rarely gets a battering..so I’m going to go for us nicking a goal, then coming back and getting a 2-1 win. But in all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised at any result. Hope all those going enjoy it, and it’s good to see fans of other clubs on here. (IMO)

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 98
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 13, 2023, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,961
Gold Stars: 181
I’d say, more than anything else, that a certain quantity of the Wrexham players are nothing more than Bosman transfer mercenaries. Which, is a shame as I don’t actually mind the ‘gogs’. Very similar town to ourselves I guess, who have also had their fair share of troubled times. Am actually pleased that some of their players don’t play for town. Am sure that many town supporters wouldn’t watch town if that was the case

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 98
moosey_club
September 13, 2023, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Am actually pleased that some of their players don’t play for town. Am sure that many town supporters wouldn’t watch town if that was the case

Ahem......
"  Ohhhh Richard Brodie...used to be a w@nker but he's alright now "
Town fans like the vast majority of football fans can be very fickle.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 98
DB
September 14, 2023, 5:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 390
The one thing I shall never forget are the Wrexham fans who dug into their own pockets to pay for Town fans to go to our promotion Game. You don't have to like all about Wrexham ( or be envious ) but they have some decent folk there.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 9:05am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Poojah

It was you that put forward the suggestion of a squad full of shíthouse bástards, not me.

No doubting you’ve got some good players - I’m just not sure I see a whole lot of future thinking in your recruitment. Older players, on big money seems to be the order of the day. If it works, it works, I just don’t see a squad with a great deal of resale value relative to what it cost to acquire. You ain’t getting your £300k back for Ollie Palmer, that’s for sure.

As I’ve said already, I am, at the very worst, ambivalent towards Wrexham. It’s just my objective opinion that, from the outside looking in, the approach taken is arguably not the best or fastest in the long-run. Your record season is all fine and well, but it was ultimately made possible thanks to abject failure the season before. And it was “abject” - that division should have been yours for the taking, circus or not.

Ok, cool. I don't agree but we are viewing it from very different places. But, no I didn't.  Read my post back again. You used the words 'squad full of' and 'journeyman', not me.

Not sure you need to think for the future when recruiting. What's that all about? Everyone wants success now, surely.

We don't need resale value as the club is making money elsewhere to fund the squad. That's the whole point of it. Saying that we have plenty of players we could sell and make huge profit on, for example we signed Mullin and Lee on free's and there are plenty of others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 98
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 14, 2023, 9:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
I don’t have a problem with Wrexham and their ‘real fans’. I don’t have a problem with Paul Mullin and secretly wish he was a Mullins. It’s just the media portrayal of it being a fairytale and concerns where this is all heading.

There was interesting piece on the Savannah Bananas the other day that referenced Wrexham:

Perhaps the closest parallel to the Bananas in the UK is Wrexham, whose evolution from backwater community football club to global entertainment brand is well under way. Over the summer, powered by their Hollywood stardust and Disney+ documentary, Wrexham have signed a clutch of lucrative commercial deals with the likes of United Airlines, Danone and HP (the electronics conglomerate, not the sauce). Exhibition games in North Carolina, California and Pennsylvania were packed out, with tickets going for up to £400. They are predicted to turn over around £20m this season, which would put them ahead of many Championship clubs.

If you think about it, does any of this income really rely on Wrexham playing League Two games at Barrow and Sutton? Perhaps the long-term goal is to work their way up the divisions and haul themselves into the Premier League, a fraught and fragile objective that could be derailed by any of a thousand external factors. But surely the more innovative play here is to reinvent themselves entirely as an A-list touring commodity, establish a standalone brand with a string of hand-picked opponents and eye-catching celebrity cameos, and teach Paul Mullin to dance. If you’re a prospective investor, which model of success makes more sense to you?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/sep/12/savannah-bananas-future-of-sport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 98
wxm80s
September 14, 2023, 9:45am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from marinerjase

Saturday?? Don’t honestly know what to expect..head is saying we might get a pasting..heart is saying we can get something. If we go and invite pressure we’ll get found out, as good as our centre backs have been thus far. Sides will look to exploit us down our left side, anyone with pace will have some joy. And Wrexham look a lot stronger in some areas than previously. But I’ve never really been impressed with them the other way - concede far too many..and that’s why I hope we go and have a go. A Hurst team rarely gets a battering..so I’m going to go for us nicking a goal, then coming back and getting a 2-1 win. But in all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised at any result. Hope all those going enjoy it, and it’s good to see fans of other clubs on here. (IMO)

You can definitely get something from the game if you have a go. Our defence isn't settled yet and struggles with pacey players running at them. Sitting back just doesn't work, but fair play if you do that and get a result.

Mk Don's attacked us with pace and their forwards destroyed us. We were all over the shop. Same against Swindon but they weren't as good and we managed to salvage a draw.  Since then its got a lot better and we're haven't been wide open in games, just odd moments during games where we ride our luck.

Barnett is very good in the RWB role, pacey, tricky and usually has the beating of his opponent and puts in good crosses. So your left back needs to be able to deal with that.

League 2 is a definite step up. People who say there isn't much difference between the National League and League 2 are way off. It surprised me. Every team we've played so far has been highly competitive bar Tranmere. They're in big trouble from what I saw.

So I'm not sure at all about Saturday tbh. A 2-2 wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Ideal scenario is that Mullin dives in the last minute, wins a penalty and scores the winning goal.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 98
Poojah
September 14, 2023, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,676
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from wxm80s

Ok, cool. I don't agree but we are viewing it from very different places. But, no I didn't.  Read my post back again. You used the words 'squad full of' and 'journeyman', not me.

Not sure you need to think for the future when recruiting. What's that all about? Everyone wants success now, surely.

We don't need resale value as the club is making money elsewhere to fund the squad. That's the whole point of it. Saying that we have plenty of players we could sell and make huge profit on, for example we signed Mullin and Lee on free's and there are plenty of others.

Right mate, you reeled off the names of 7 players, plus Mullin, who you described as “shíthouses”. 8 in total. 8 out of a potential starting 11 constitutes a “squad full” to my mind. It’s certainly an above average number, isn’t it?

Of those 8 players, I’d argue most of them could be described as “journeymen”, but if you’re not happy with that, let’s go with “mercenaries” instead. I think we can all agree that that’s an indisputable description; they sure as shít ain’t moving to north Wales for the rarebit, are they?

So there we go then - “Wrexham have a squad full of shíthouse mercenaries”, or “Wrexham have a squad full of mercenary shíthouses”.

Which one do you want to sign off on?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 98
Hagrid
September 14, 2023, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from wxm80s

You can definitely get something from the game if you have a go. Our defence isn't settled yet and struggles with pacey players running at them. Sitting back just doesn't work, but fair play if you do that and get a result.

Mk Don's attacked us with pace and their forwards destroyed us. We were all over the shop. Same against Swindon but they weren't as good and we managed to salvage a draw.  Since then its got a lot better and we're haven't been wide open in games, just odd moments during games where we ride our luck.

Barnett is very good in the RWB role, pacey, tricky and usually has the beating of his opponent and puts in good crosses. So your left back needs to be able to deal with that.

League 2 is a definite step up. People who say there isn't much difference between the National League and League 2 are way off. It surprised me. Every team we've played so far has been highly competitive bar Tranmere. They're in big trouble from what I saw.

So I'm not sure at all about Saturday tbh. A 2-2 wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Ideal scenario is that Mullin dives in the last minute, wins a penalty and scores the winning goal.  

certainly not our strongest area!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Wrexham Saturday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.