chaos33
February 1, 2023, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,986
Gold Stars: 365
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’m not exactly pleased with it Ginny, I would’ve loved to have been proven wrong. It genuinely boils my urine knowing the people who dismissed it as moaning at the start are the ones left scratching their heads as to what just went on when 2 weeks ago they were calling you a moaning illegitimate and just wait for the window to shut. In Hursts interview he seemed wound up to hear Matt Dean questioning him on the lack of movement too, but we ended up doing exactly what people feared we would.

If a bunch of miserable twits on a forum saw it coming a mile off, why didn’t Hurst? And if he did, why were we lurking round in the bargain basement on the last day of the window?

Probably shouldn’t let it wind me up as much as it has the habit of doing, but we all support the same football club and have the same interest in it doing well.

I’ve sent my list of questions for the fans forum, and I really hope some are answered (they’re reasonably written too!)

Referring to the players we signed as ‘bargain basement’ is pretty disrespectful. I doubt that any posters have any kind of grasp on just how complex the transfer window processes are, and the notion that we could go out and sign a proven 20 goals a season unit of a striker is just daft, for lots of reasons. I’d say we have a squad of players I’m proud of and fully behind, and we can judge the quality of the 4 new arrivals on merit. I trust Hurst and the owners and our club is competitive and stable at this level. I’m happy with that. We are ambitious and realistic, and we know that a promotion capable squad can take time and resource and I personally feel we are, for the most part, across that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 117
ginnywings
February 1, 2023, 6:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’m not exactly pleased with it Ginny, I would’ve loved to have been proven wrong. It genuinely boils my urine knowing the people who dismissed it as moaning at the start are the ones left scratching their heads as to what just went on when 2 weeks ago they were calling you a moaning illegitimate and just wait for the window to shut. In Hursts interview he seemed wound up to hear Matt Dean questioning him on the lack of movement too, but we ended up doing exactly what people feared we would.

If a bunch of miserable twits on a forum saw it coming a mile off, why didn’t Hurst? And if he did, why were we lurking round in the bargain basement on the last day of the window?

Probably shouldn’t let it wind me up as much as it has the habit of doing, but we all support the same football club and have the same interest in it doing well.

I’ve sent my list of questions for the fans forum, and I really hope some are answered (they’re reasonably written too!)

Fair response and I get your disappointment, but I really can't believe that PH didn't see it coming as you put it, and I don't think we are shopping in the bargain basement either.

None of us know what our targets were and none of us know why we didn't get them. Maybe the ones we got were the targets? PH said he's been keeping an eye on them, so who knows?

I've no doubt whatsoever that we wanted an experienced centre forward, but we didn't get one and I bet that's just as much a buddy for the club as it is the fans.

Anyway, I probably would have had my p1ss boiled too when I was younger, but age has taught me that it doesn't matter how angry you get, it doesn't change stuff you have no control over.

I'll watch the coming games with interest and see what happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 117
Limerick Mariner
February 1, 2023, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,808
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from coddy60

My facts are fine ta, and my sources are impeccable...

Who was our main target to replace Taylor then? Hopper, then Garner?

What’s become clearer from this window is location really is major stumbling block - perhaps our recruitment team, who would know it’s always somewhat of an issue for GTFC, have been caught out by it turning out to be more important to players. The Uber generation really don’t want to spend 3 hours plus a day in a car, and don’t want to live in a Cleethorpes hotel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 117
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2023, 6:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.74
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,565
Gold Stars: 173
What we need to remember is that a good percentage of transfer fees received will have gone towards paying off the thing that used to own the club. Also yes, we have earned a few pennies in the cup run BUT monies won't be available from it until the end of the season, so will be in the budget for next season.

Jesus wept!..somebody else who understands how budgets work!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2023, 6:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,820
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Who was our main target to replace Taylor then? Hopper, then Garner?

What’s become clearer from this window is location really is major stumbling block - perhaps our recruitment team, who would know it’s always somewhat of an issue for GTFC, have been caught out by it turning out to be more important to players. The Uber generation really don’t want to spend 3 hours plus a day in a car, and don’t want to live in a Cleethorpes hotel.

How come we got 3 players in then for 6 months from Preston, Cheltenham and Norwich? I reckon the Hull lad can travel,  if he lives in Hull.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 117
Heswall Mariner
February 1, 2023, 6:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +595
Gold Stars: 30
At first it seems daft to have paid a fee for Josh Emmanuel on a contract just the end of the season.
Given his health issues I guess  there's an  option clause in there come June - just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 117
ginnywings
February 1, 2023, 7:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
At first it seems daft to have paid a fee for Josh Emmanuel on a contract just the end of the season.
Given his health issues I guess  there's an  option clause in there come June - just saying.

Depends what the fee was. Could have just been a token amount.

Hurst knows him from Ipswich, so he obviously thought he was worth it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 117
Limerick Mariner
February 1, 2023, 7:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,808
Gold Stars: 141

How come we got 3 players in then for 6 months from Preston, Cheltenham and Norwich? I reckon the Hull lad can travel,  if he lives in Hull.

3 young lads on loan who are desperate to prove themselves in the game. It’s different from permanent signings of players in their mid to late 20s - the bracket of more experienced players where we are struggling to persuade players to come to Gy from further than Yorkshire.

Of our last few permanent signings most have been either already linked with the area - Holohan, or already based reasonably close in Yorkshire - Green, Maher, Orsi and now Emmanuel. Morris wasn’t too far away either in Burton. Khan was in London but from Greater Manchester so we at least got him back up north.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 117
aldi_01
February 1, 2023, 7:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As we all know, this board is not the place for reasoned and balanced discussions, especially when we’ve come out of a transfer window.

Simple fact it, the reputation of the club that has been damaged badly for 20 years and I’d imagine, a cost of living crisis is clearly having an impact on clubs like Towns’ ability to sign players. I’m sure some work argue that others managed it but perhaps those clubs are fighting an old reputation and are happy to splash some cash, likely to finish in the same position as us.

I remember the same reaction last year and ironically, 2 of those players who people complained about played a significant part in our season and history.

If people are sat at home thinking the club or Hurst are buzzing their mammaries off with the window then you’re a flipping idiot but also, as professionals they’ll believe and stand by their decisions. Everyone was looking for that elusive striker and whilst Dallas would’ve been a great addition, is paying a fee for him now really worth it? His agent has clearly told him to sit tight and you can’t argue with that.

In truth, everything else was conjecture and rumours so we’ll never know of any of them were ever possibilities, we have to support the club and who knows, it could all click, if not, it’ll be the season we’d have all taken this time last year. In fact, it’ll be the season we’d have all taken in July…

I do have a personal issue with this transfer window bollcoks, it just seems something to justify paying that annoying jock twit on talksport/sky a whacking salary and it gives those alleged experts something to talk about I guess…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 117
golfer
February 1, 2023, 7:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,460
Gold Stars: 123
I have just read  3406 posts on the transfer thread and have now come to the conclusion, after much thought, that the Fishy members including myself know fckall about football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window Reflection Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.