12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2023, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,142
Gold Stars: 241
I love this debate around location, Grimsby isn’t moving from NEL so if it’s one of the blockers many (including myself) alongside a poor reputation believe it is then the club need to think about a strategy to attract the talent we all would like to see.

Clearly money is a factor so not only do we need to offer a decent basic you would imagine a package would need to include performance incentives, travel & subsistence support and for the more experienced players fees for coaching and education courses so they can start building for a career after football.

What I would also add is 2 spells in the NL a poor historic reputation as an employer and 16th in the EFL also does not make us that attractive. I’m convinced if recent league form had been better and we’d stayed realistically in touch with the play offs this window may have looked slightly better as players want to be part of a successful team.

So I guess the reason for posting the above is around managing expectations as the problems we have will only be conquered by long term building and change so this probably won’t be the last window where some supporters are disappointed.

I trust 1878 and we have a good manager who knows what to do so given time it will get better.

Oh yeah one final thing on the manager, about him being tight, stubborn, too picky and slow to react. I’m fairly confident that no poster on this board can back up their digs with real facts. I also think it’s safe to say he want success like all of us and is much better qualified in terms of experience, skills and knowledge than every poster on this board.

Time to leave it behind and get behind the lads I reckon.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 117
lukeo
February 4, 2023, 10:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
A small part is still a part. It won't stop everyone but people will consider it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2023, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,827
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I love this debate around location, Grimsby isn’t moving from NEL so if it’s one of the blockers many (including myself) alongside a poor reputation believe it is then the club need to think about a strategy to attract the talent we all would like to see.

Clearly money is a factor so not only do we need to offer a decent basic you would imagine a package would need to include performance incentives, travel & subsistence support and for the more experienced players fees for coaching and education courses so they can start building for a career after football.

What I would also add is 2 spells in the NL a poor historic reputation as an employer and 16th in the EFL also does not make us that attractive. I’m convinced if recent league form had been better and we’d stayed realistically in touch with the play offs this window may have looked slightly better as players want to be part of a successful team.

So I guess the reason for posting the above is around managing expectations as the problems we have will only be conquered by long term building and change so this probably won’t be the last window where some supporters are disappointed.

I trust 1878 and we have a good manager who knows what to do so given time it will get better.

Oh yeah one final thing on the manager, about him being tight, stubborn, too picky and slow to react. I’m fairly confident that no poster on this board can back up their digs with real facts. I also think it’s safe to say he want success like all of us and is much better qualified in terms of experience, skills and knowledge than every poster on this board.

Time to leave it behind and get behind the lads I reckon.

I broadly agree with that and we all know we won't be getting any marquee signings due to the cost.

If the strategy is to get longer term success by trying to blend a team within limited means then fair enough.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 117
RonMariner
February 4, 2023, 11:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.43
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,954
Gold Stars: 233
If location really is an issue then it means we may have to pay a bit more in wages to secure some key targets. Given the overall financial health of the club I would imagine there is room to do this on a selective basis.

January recruitment is always likely to be tough because most players are on contracts to the end of a particular season. It will be interesting to see how we do in the Summer, and this may be a better gauge to the ambitions of the club. .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 117
grassbandits
February 4, 2023, 6:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 6
Not seen it mentioned but last day we were offered Tashan Oakley-Boothe but didn’t want him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 117
DaleH
February 4, 2023, 6:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +810
Gold Stars: 168
It’s okay doubters we forgive you, and we all still love you too. 😉

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 117
forza ivano
February 4, 2023, 7:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,311
Gold Stars: 266
Hold my hands up. Wtf do I know about deadline transfer day?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 117
rancido
February 4, 2023, 7:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,682
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from forza ivano
Hold my hands up. Wtf do I know about deadline transfer day?

If only more posters were as ready to admit they were wrong like you

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 117
LH
February 4, 2023, 7:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,660
Gold Stars: 179
For the purposes of debate: Can we establish once and for all how many games we judge a players ability on? Clearly 0 isn’t enough but 1 apparently is. If someone had seen a player play against us and he’d had a stinker then is it that enough?

Let’s see after a few more games including some against some better opposition before we start the point scoring shall we?
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 117
sonofmadeleymariner
February 4, 2023, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from LH
For the purposes of debate: Can we establish once and for all how many games we judge a players ability on? Clearly 0 isn’t enough but 1 is. If someone had seen a player play against us and he’d had a stinker then is it that enough?

Let’s see after a few more games including some against some better opposition before we start the point scoring shall we?

Fully agree. Crewe were shocking today. We could just as easily find out in the coming weeks that was the only reason for their good performance today

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window Reflection Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.