7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
September 23, 2017, 2:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Don't believe that's true Mariner91. When I go to the pub everyone wants to know what the game was like how they played etc. The interest is there. Those that have stopped going all have different reasons for not going anymore.

I believe that the new modern stadium wirh up to date facilities would get them all interested in going again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
mariner91
September 23, 2017, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from mimma
Don't believe that's true Mariner91. When I go to the pub everyone wants to know what the game was like how they played etc. The interest is there. Those that have stopped going all have different reasons for not going anymore.

I believe that the new modern stadium wirh up to date facilities would get them all interested in going again.

That's entirely my point. The post said that "any of them that even remotely enjoy sport will go down to Blundell Park and support the Mariners. Which can't be true as I'm sure there are many more than approx. 3K who enjoy sport. Like you said, I agree that a better stadium which is easier to access than BP on a busy match day would hopefully get more interested and the club could move forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
Bawmariner
September 23, 2017, 2:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
I think Garth Lane would be a terrible place for the stadium. It is a small area and I honestly believe it would put people off shopping in the town centre when matches are on.

I write this comment while sat in Leeds Dock and if really does give you an idea of what the waterfront in the town centre should look like. A mix of nice flats and restraints. It really is a huge under used asset and once I believe will become more attractive to developers once the new cinema opens in the town centre.

While there are benefits of putting the stadium close to the town centre there is also the negatives that it will only be used to it's full potential on matchdays once or twice a week. Land in a town centre needs to either generate or attract large amounts of footfall 24/7 and I just don't think a football stadium will ever do that. What the town centre needs is more people living in it to boost retail and make it more attractive to potential retail and leisure companies and stadium doesn't deliver that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
Perkins
September 23, 2017, 2:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from mimma

If anyone asks me i always say Go yourself and find out if your that interested, but then i am a miserable sod.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
mimma
September 23, 2017, 6:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
You must be the guy at the end of the bar drinking on his own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
GYinScuntland
September 24, 2017, 12:41pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Bawmariner
I think Garth Lane would be a terrible place for the stadium. It is a small area and I honestly believe it would put people off shopping in the town centre when matches are on.

I write this comment while sat in Leeds Dock and if really does give you an idea of what the waterfront in the town centre should look like. A mix of nice flats and restraints. It really is a huge under used asset and once I believe will become more attractive to developers once the new cinema opens in the town centre.

While there are benefits of putting the stadium close to the town centre there is also the negatives that it will only be used to it's full potential on matchdays once or twice a week. Land in a town centre needs to either generate or attract large amounts of footfall 24/7 and I just don't think a football stadium will ever do that. What the town centre needs is more people living in it to boost retail and make it more attractive to potential retail and leisure companies and stadium doesn't deliver that.

You must have dated the same Leeds lass that I did.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
Vance Warner
September 24, 2017, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,806
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Kris2

And this right here is why we'll never have a new football stadium. Too many fans who choose feelings over thought,sentiment over logic and being local over progress. We need to move from Blundell Park because it's an outdated old ground that will hinder any sort of progress for the future, sure it's fine now while we are non league tinpot trying to consolidate our new position as a league club but what happens when we progress up the leagues like in the distant past?

It doesn't matter where it's located, if we have a stadium with room to expand it makes a statement that the club is the real deal, everyone will know where the ground is, kids will be asking their dad to drive past it so they can have a look and then take them to the game. It gives off a good image for the town when people enter it and see that stadium and it'll become a source of pride for the town and a message that the area is open for business and redevelopment. A football club making progress gives off a good image. It'll be accessible on public transport with room for parking and that's important too for ease of getting to matches.

I feel like this is just another thinly veiled "Garth Lane is a better choice because it's near the Dock Tower and the Heritage Centre and because Freeman Street needs to become like the good old days when it was local people and not all foreigners."

Honestly people like Rich probably loved us being Non League because they could go to tiny nowhere places with what can barely be called a football ground because that's "real football". People like Rich would love us to stay as low as possible and not be near those evil terrible top leagues that are all about making money.

Really?? I would suggest the location is vital for attracting people. How many people leave their car at home because they like a drink on a matchday? Not many grounds could cope if everyone drove to the match. I don't think PP is as inaccessible as people are making out but Great Coates would have been a disaster IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
GollyGTFC
September 27, 2017, 1:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
PP was chosen as the site because Fenty/GTFC insisted an enabling development had to be at the same location as the stadium. This is the only reason why Garth Lane didn't come out on top.

Since then Fenty has stated that enabling developments (NB. plural) could basically be anywhere in North East Lincolnshire.

The process was rigged to ensure PP came out of top. And now Fenty has got what he wanted the goal posts have moved.

Garth Lane is perfect. It's close to the town centre, but easily accessible from the A180 (the main road into Grimsby). It's close to the railway station & the town centre bus terminal. It will be across the road from to the new cinema/restaurant complex at Riverhead.

The Ice Rink, house development and whatever else can still be at PP and act as an enabling development for the stadium at Garth Lane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 63
Bigdog
September 27, 2017, 2:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC
PP was chosen as the site because Fenty/GTFC insisted an enabling development had to be at the same location as the stadium. This is the only reason why Garth Lane didn't come out on top.

Since then Fenty has stated that enabling developments (NB. plural) could basically be anywhere in North East Lincolnshire.

The process was rigged to ensure PP came out of top. And now Fenty has got what he wanted the goal posts have moved.

Garth Lane is perfect. It's close to the town centre, but easily accessible from the A180 (the main road into Grimsby). It's close to the railway station & the town centre bus terminal. It will be across the road from to the new cinema/restaurant complex at Riverhead.

The Ice Rink, house development and whatever else can still be at PP and act as an enabling development for the stadium at Garth Lane

I tend to agree with this. If the council or associated bodies could help with bridging loans or shortfalls to cover a longer timeframe than a PP single location, the enabling developments could be spread about over the central part of town as that land became available rather than building on a greenfield site. That's if the figures can be made to work and net costs to the club don't increase. As a town plan it seems daft that there could be a shiny new investment built on unspoilt land and other areas of the town will be left derelict. As long as a blue sky thinking solution could be formed quickly so it doesn't delay the stadium being built, I'd be up for that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
moosey_club
September 27, 2017, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Bigdog

I tend to agree with this. If the council or associated bodies could help with bridging loans or shortfalls to cover a longer timeframe than a PP single location, the enabling developments could be spread about over the central part of town as that land became available rather than building on a greenfield site. That's if the figures can be made to work and net costs to the club don't increase. As a town plan it seems daft that there could be a shiny new investment built on unspoilt land and other areas of the town will be left derelict. As long as a blue sky thinking solution could be formed quickly so it doesn't delay the stadium being built, I'd be up for that..

We are talking about our proposal being backed by a housing developer primarily....i severely doubt that 700 -1400 homes would be desirable or in demand or even fit on the West Marsh/ Town Centre site...PP would still be wanted as a "Prime" housing site to attract any home builders and i cant see any house builder financing something in the town centre so the club can build a stadium, just so they can build houses in the suburbs.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Garth Lane

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.