Lincoln Mariner 56
April 21, 2024, 6:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,760
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Sorry but his goal was a belter. Right in the corner and moving all over the place so the keeper stood no chance. He’s plenty good enough to stay, hope he does.

Agree about the quality of his goal but his overall performance was, IMO, poor. He struggled to get the ball under control, is weak in the air and doesn’t have the required work rate and energy levels. We need much, much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
pontoonlew
April 21, 2024, 7:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,090
Gold Stars: 178
Wilson has 7 goals in 26 games and only 12 of those games have been starts, it’s not a bad record. He’s strong and he can finish, but he too often goes missing completely in games.

He’s definitely worth having in the squad IMO because you’ll probably struggle to replace his attributes for somebody willing to come off the bench more often than not. However I reckon he’ll probably force a move himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
diehardmariner
April 21, 2024, 7:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Ainley showed immediately the difference that a proper footballer can make.

Swindon were pants but just having someone with that quicker thought process and ability to put it into action transformed that game.

Defence was and has been fine for weeks largely, thought Maher looked excellent considering he's missed so many games. Cannot believe the change in Mullarkey by stepping inside, thought he too was excellent again.

Wilson did well up top on his own. Don't get the criticism of him, if he was putting every chance away he's levels above us. He's a handful and they couldn't handle him second half. It's almost as if he needs to believe he can dominate teams before he goes onto do it. He gets that sorted and he's one of the top strikers in this league.

Lack of options dictated that 3-3-3-1 formation, which we struggled to adjust to early but second half the front 3 helped Thompson out a bit more and we bossed the middle of the park.

Bramwell looked an absolute unit when he came on. Seen him a few times now and he looks potentially a real player.

It's not over, but it is. excrement season, glad it's done. Big summer ahead.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
barralad
April 21, 2024, 8:54am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Agree about the quality of his goal but his overall performance was, IMO, poor. He struggled to get the ball under control, is weak in the air and doesn’t have the required work rate and energy levels. We need much, much better.

Wilson suffered from what most strikers playing in poor teams suffer from- a lack of service. Not everyone needs to have a Danny Rose type workrate but yesterday (and the previous home game) most of his chances came from his own efforts. I really hope he stays. With the right support he's probably a 20 goal striker. The criticism of him on this thread reminds me of the similar stick one Danilo Orsi got last year. Remind me again how that turned out.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
LocalLadGTFC
April 21, 2024, 9:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from HertsGTFC

But he didn’t save it did he? Striker scores from distance under no real pressure from defenders, right back takes quality pass, in on goal & slots home showing strikers how to score, well that’s how I saw it.

Wilson is the biggest flat track bully I’ve seen in a Town shirt for ages.

I like Wilson but in terms of bullying defenders, LJL was much much better at it. Wilson was playing against a 16 year old kid and didnt really get going until the second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 57
thornemariner
April 21, 2024, 10:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Well one positive is we won one more home point than we did last season!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
IlkleyMariner
April 21, 2024, 10:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Not a season I will remember with any fondness.
I still can’t work out how in our early season game at Bradford we were in second place in the league at half time., but slumped so badly thereafter.

I remember Conte dominating and Clifton having a shocker. Good performances from Gnoha, Mullarkey and Rose…….

Hoping for a much higher level of consistency in 2024/25.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
It Bites
April 21, 2024, 10:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,258
Gold Stars: 266
I thought Wilson was brilliant yesterday. Basically feeding on scraps all game and scored a superb goal but he’s obviously not happy here so he’ll go and probably do very well for someone down south . Swindon we’re garbage and most players looked to be at about 50% .
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
chaos33
April 21, 2024, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pontoonlew
Wilson has 7 goals in 26 games and only 12 of those games have been starts, it’s not a bad record. He’s strong and he can finish, but he too often goes missing completely in games.

He’s definitely worth having in the squad IMO because you’ll probably struggle to replace his attributes for somebody willing to come off the bench more often than not. However I reckon he’ll probably force a move himself.

I’d keep him. He wants focusing, coaching and to work on his fitness but he’s got plenty of attributes. Get him clicking with a run of games, a better formation and partners closer to him and he is a genuine threat at this level. He had a really good game yesterday and his goal was a piece of technical quality.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 21, 2024, 12:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,760
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from barralad

Wilson suffered from what most strikers playing in poor teams suffer from- a lack of service. Not everyone needs to have a Danny Rose type workrate but yesterday (and the previous home game) most of his chances came from his own efforts. I really hope he stays. With the right support he's probably a 20 goal striker. The criticism of him on this thread reminds me of the similar stick one Danilo Orsi got last year. Remind me again how that turned out.

Agree with you about workrate and I was one of a minority on here who rated Orsi and wanted him selected far more often last season. He had, what I believe Wilson doesn’t, and that’s a bit of composure when a chance comes along. Wilson always appears rushed to me and doesn’t get the ball under control quick enough.

Anyway a game of opinions and we’re going to find out what the management group thinks in a weeks time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.