It Bites
April 17, 2024, 6:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,248
Gold Stars: 266
From getting orange juice and toast

On reflection we had chances in the final 3 rd to create at least one goal . Colchester did what they can with a ltd squad and their two underperforming strikers get the goals . We are so poor against a hard working physical team . We need some men in the team who can control games and players

Still not safe with 2 games to go is just not acceptable is it ?
Seriously if fans get giddy and cheer this team off if we stay up then you’re part of the problem. Do not except mediocrity as success. Demand better . Grow some balls and let the owners , players , staff know what you think of this season
Private Message
Caesar
April 17, 2024, 7:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Not been much this season but no need to wonder why we are where we are. I was pleased now the previous game was postponed. With us practically safe fans and players really had a lethargic feel. Could tell there wasn't the intense need resting on this game. Colchester to be fair the opposite.

First half we were terrible. They pressured early and after skipping past several weak midfield challenges carved open our defence to lead. We responded by letting them dominate. When we had the ball it was hit to Vernam and hope he would repeat his former glories. Very little invention. When we did venture to their end they hit us on the break, Akinde made to look as rapid as Mbappe. We had Tharme I think to tha k we didn't go 2-0 down. That said you could see their limitations as at the end of the half we should pf equalised when pressing them high

Second half we responded well for five minutes, till their keeper made Max Crocombe look like an amateur time-waster. After that it settled into a pattern of we could have the ball and mot do much with it whilst they tried to hit on the break. Had a penalty shout but my first thought was it wasn't a penalty and why Obikwu didn't stay on his feet I don't know. But I could be mistaken. Then they press us into a mistake and it was game over.  Clifton went close with a header and second half thought he was our best player after a pretty woeful first half, finding pockets of space and running in behind. But ultimately we deserved nothing, Colchester deserved more.

What worries me is next season, I get frustrated when managers come out and tell me something completely at odds with what I have seen. The performance wasn't as bad as it could be, but if we dominated for 75 minutes it was useless domination when we only really had three efforts on goal to my memory, and none of them were clear cut chances ofnpur own creation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
pontoonlew
April 17, 2024, 7:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,080
Gold Stars: 178
Thought we knocked it around quite nicely until it came to making a decent opportunity out of something & then everything we touched turned to excrement. Clifton, Obikwu & Wilson were particularly dreadful.

I can’t name the last time we won 2 in a row, and it’s unbelievably predictable and frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
1mickylyons
April 17, 2024, 7:48am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,390
Gold Stars: 56
Another poor performances with more woeful defending as a team Col U first goal summed up this Grimsby team. Someone needs to make a tackle or foul on the halfway line not let the guy run through and it was all to easy.Second goal a good finish but again highly preventable. A coaching staff top heavy with defenders should be raging and from an attacking point of view to quote DA it was all a bit Meh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
golfer
April 17, 2024, 7:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
Most of our team are below the standard required but our forwards are absolutely woeful. We cannot take advantage from set pieces - corners and crosses and free kicks either don't get past the first man or are over hit. We never ever receive advantage from the long throw as we stand too far away. No movement off the ball. Passes through the channels ultimately end in goal kicks. Left footed players on the right wing;right on the left. Opposing wingers running rings round our fullbacks -when did we last have a player who could do this ?  On and on and on the shite performances go on.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
Marinerdeano
April 17, 2024, 7:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from It Bites

On reflection we had chances in the final 3 rd to create at least one goal . Colchester did what they can with a ltd squad and their two underperforming strikers get the goals . We are so poor against a hard working physical team . We need some men in the team who can control games and players

Seriously if fans get giddy and cheer this team off if we stay up then you’re part of the problem. Do not except mediocrity as success. Demand better . Grow some balls and let the owners , players , staff know what you think of this season

We need a point and we don't need to contribute to nerves on the pitch. Back the boys for one last time this season during the game. As has been said, act on lessons learnt once season is done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
rancido
April 17, 2024, 8:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,613
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from It Bites

I'm 100% sure that the owners, players and staff know what this season has been like and what the fans think. This close season we will have the opportunity for the manager and owners to reflect on the season and rectify the problems. I'm sure DA knows what type of players he wants and hopefully they recruiting system can identify them.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
ivanosandwich
April 17, 2024, 8:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 17
Was Artell watching a different game to the one I saw?

He said we were the better team, had a clear penalty turned down and Akinde was trying to put a cross in. None of that is true from my perspective.

The general consensus seems to be give him a chance next season because he has improved us since the Donny debacle. Yes he has but only because he changed his way of playing and I am led to believe that he will be reverting to the possession based, play it out from the back style of football next season.

Unless he gets the players in that can do that, we will be back to the dark days of Donny and Walsall. Not many league 2 players can play that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
DaleH
April 17, 2024, 8:50am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from rancido

I'm sure DA knows what type of players he wants and hopefully they recruiting system can identify them.

That assumes you feel that DA is the right man then to both get rid of sub-standard players, and bring in new players of the quality needed to compete at the top end of the table? And it also assumes that our recruiting system is fit for purpose?

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 17, 2024, 9:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
So I’ve reflected on this a bit, not sure I saw a pen but only watched on the stream, the better Team? Depends what measure you use I guess.

The better team wouldn’t of surrendered the first goal, the better team would have got more meaningful attempts on target & the better team wouldn’t have coughed up the ball for the 2nd and allowed a player with the pace of 3 legged elephant look like Ronaldinio with a finish that though speculative I think he meant.

Where to degree I will defend Artell is who he had to pick from last night? Players like Clifton, Green, Obikwu & Wilson are not good enough and that shows.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.