Lincoln Mariner 56
April 17, 2024, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,755
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Hagrid
Shouldnt really be surprised anymore, 1 good performance shouldn't blinker us to just how excrement we have been,

Last night another case in point, so many basic errors, inability to defend, put a tackle in, beat the first man with a cross.

Time and time and time again.

It’s not the erratic performances that surprise me it’s the erratic responses on here. One win at Crewe and suddenly Green is the L2 Pirlo and maybe the rebuild required isn’t as big as we previously thought. In reality, if contracts were not in place, I can’t think of any player beyond Thompson & Rose, and probably Tharme, I would wish to see retained. Not seen enough of Callum to know if he’s good enough, previous experience would suggest he is, but he didn’t get picked when PH was here although I think he could have been injured for much of that time. There might be another couple who would be ok as back up squad players but nobody I would be desperate to retain.

That said there are always players who when surrounded by better players who will perform much better than they have this season, however, we are so poor it’s hard to identify who these players might be.

Really sad state of affairs that instead of a few additions to get us up that league we appear to need a complete clear out. Just praying we get that one point on Saturday as Crawley will definitely need a win when they play us and it just seems destined that Orsi sends us into oblivion.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
GYinScuntland
April 17, 2024, 12:38pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Poojah
Well, despite last night’s defeat Town are now 1000/1 to go down. Anyone fancy sticking a tenner on to take the sting out of an unthinkable capitulation?

It is indeed 1000/1 and I tried to lump a fiver on but it said a trader had to review the bet.
In the end £1 was accepted and £4 declined so I don't know what to make of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 17, 2024, 12:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
   Stevenage and Crawley got this right after being in a similar dire position. If we can get the recruitment right then we could have some success.

Oh come on, Crawley scraped the bottom of the barrel by signing a bloke who couldn't get in our team. And he's done b*gger all for them, he's only scored 20 goals....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
Abdul19
April 17, 2024, 1:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Strange thing with those 365 odds is that we were 500/1 before last night's game!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
mariner91
April 17, 2024, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It’s not the erratic performances that surprise me it’s the erratic responses on here. One win at Crewe and suddenly Green is the L2 Pirlo and maybe the rebuild required isn’t as big as we previously thought. In reality, if contracts were not in place, I can’t think of any player beyond Thompson & Rose, and probably Tharme, I would wish to see retained. Not seen enough of Callum to know if he’s good enough, previous experience would suggest he is, but he didn’t get picked when PH was here although I think he could have been injured for much of that time. There might be another couple who would be ok as back up squad players but nobody I would be desperate to retain.

That said there are always players who when surrounded by better players who will perform much better than they have this season, however, we are so poor it’s hard to identify who these players might be.

Really sad state of affairs that instead of a few additions to get us up that league we appear to need a complete clear out. Just praying we get that one point on Saturday as Crawley will definitely need a win when they play us and it just seems destined that Orsi sends us into oblivion.

Completely agree. In my opinion we've had seven games this season where we've managed a good level of performance across the full 90 minutes. Gillingham at home, MK Dons at home, Newport at home, Crewe home and away, Morecambe at home, Salford away. That is abysmal. Other than the very obvious exceptions of Rose and Thompson and, to a lesser extent, Tharme the players should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. We are where we are deservedly, this squad isn't better than it's league position and is there on merit. Yet each time we put in a half decent performance there are some suggesting we should be retaining players in the close season. None of the players that are out of contract have performed well enough to warrant an offer but I would probably offer Clifton something purely as a utility man as he's certainly not good enough to be first choice in any position if you want to be towards the top of the league.

Even with the players that are contracted, I'd be quite happy for Pyke to leave. Wilson is certainly replaceable if he had something lined up. Mullarkey and Rodgers are very replaceable and I suspect Rodgers may be one of the higher earners too. Khouri and Hunt have a lot to prove. And Eastwood cannot be our first choice next season. If any of these players could find an offer elsewhere and we didn't have to pay them off then I'd be considering it. Only Rose, Thompson, Tharme and Vernam have performed to anything like the standard required on a reasonably consistent basis and isn't that a disgraceful situation to be in? Anyone that thinks we need anything other than a total overhaul is deluded or a fool.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
Abdul19
April 17, 2024, 1:23pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GYinScuntland

It is indeed 1000/1 and I tried to lump a fiver on but it said a trader had to review the bet.
In the end £1 was accepted and £4 declined so I don't know what to make of that.

Same here, strict £1000 lay to lose by the looks of it.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
Hagrid
April 17, 2024, 1:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from mariner91

Completely agree. In my opinion we've had seven games this season where we've managed a good level of performance across the full 90 minutes. Gillingham at home, MK Dons at home, Newport at home, Crewe home and away, Morecambe at home, Salford away. That is abysmal. Other than the very obvious exceptions of Rose and Thompson and, to a lesser extent, Tharme the players should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. We are where we are deservedly, this squad isn't better than it's league position and is there on merit. Yet each time we put in a half decent performance there are some suggesting we should be retaining players in the close season. None of the players that are out of contract have performed well enough to warrant an offer but I would probably offer Clifton something purely as a utility man as he's certainly not good enough to be first choice in any position if you want to be towards the top of the league.

Even with the players that are contracted, I'd be quite happy for Pyke to leave. Wilson is certainly replaceable if he had something lined up. Mullarkey and Rodgers are very replaceable and I suspect Rodgers may be one of the higher earners too. Khouri and Hunt have a lot to prove. And Eastwood cannot be our first choice next season. If any of these players could find an offer elsewhere and we didn't have to pay them off then I'd be considering it. Only Rose, Thompson, Tharme and Vernam have performed to anything like the standard required on a reasonably consistent basis and isn't that a disgraceful situation to be in? Anyone that thinks we need anything other than a total overhaul is deluded or a fool.

Not sure on vernam, he has fits and bursts when he is fit, but theres no consistancy. Hopefully a full pre season and we can see the benefits of him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
thornemariner
April 17, 2024, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I haven't had a bet in decades but am tempted to have one on Town going down. Seem to be generous odds about. Happy for it to lose and if it doesn't it'd buy a ST which isn't something I'm actually contemplating.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
IlkleyMariner
April 17, 2024, 1:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,037
Gold Stars: 69
Last time I saw odds like that, the Aussies put bets on Botham and Willis beating Australia at Headingley. The rest is history.
I remember it well as I went to work and didn’t use my ticket for the last day….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
thornemariner
April 17, 2024, 1:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Last time I saw odds like that, the Aussies put bets on Botham and Willis beating Australia at Headingley. The rest is history.
I remember it well as I went to work and didn’t use my ticket for the last day….

That game got me into watching cricket. I met Ian Botham over a decade later and told him that. Couldn't take my eyes away from what was unfolding on TV. A really nice bloke to talk to.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.