This thread currently has 3,759 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 2, 2024, 11:29am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Finishing a tight season third bottom is more exciting than a midtable finish with nothing to play for for two months. Definitely prefer not dicing with death though.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 40
IlkleyMariner
April 2, 2024, 11:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,037
Gold Stars: 69
By 5 pm next Saturday could be

Grimsby…41 games, 43 points
Sutton……43………..39
Colchester 40……….38
FGR………42……….36

The mood will change enormously and we would be much more confident.

I know the players get hammered on this site, but yesterday I saw a team playing with commitment and no little skill. OK we didn’t get the killer second goal, as has often been the case, but if the referee had half a brain he would have booked two Bradford players with a second yellow and they would have been down to 9 players . Game over.

Even if all four results don’t go our way, we are capable of staying up if we play to our best, don’t give away silly goals and convert possession into goals.

Thought Eastwood did well in unfortunate circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
Mayaman
April 2, 2024, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Isn't our goal difference advantage dwindling?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
Mappers
April 2, 2024, 11:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,400
Gold Stars: 119
I think draws have put us in this desperate position but might save us ; we need at least 1 home win and hope we can scrap to 3 or 4 draws which might put us safe .

I would take going into the Swindon game on 43/44 at this point tbh with that been a win and we stay up scenario .

The evidence of 40 games suggests we will only win 1 at best from 6 , we seem less likely to go on any sort winning streak than the other's but seem to be a 1 ppg team . We just need to hope it's enough .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
buckstown
April 2, 2024, 1:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,186
Gold Stars: 79
I must have seen a minimum of ten points forecasts in the last month. Very detailed match by match analysis with a variety of outcomes
Trouble is, not one person predicted the current Sutton run, and nobody forecast FGR being 3 up in 25 minutes at Crewe.
There’s some weird stuff going on and the only predictable thing is that we’re awful and have negative impetus. Without analysing anything in detail my gut says we’re in deep trouble and may not have the character needed to stay up
Hope I’m wrong by the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
chaos33
April 2, 2024, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
I’m probably more inclined to think we are going down, but I said weeks ago that the complexion would continue to change, game but game and that’s still the case and will continue to be so, especially due to the prevalence of ‘freak results’ for our opponents. You just know we’ll get turned over away at Colchester and I can see us getting tonked at Harrogate. Ditto Crewe and Crawley.
Our luck is terrible but the team is so weak defensively and we are hopelessly error prone. In my view, yesterday’s result was disastrous. We needed to win that game and should have done so, and the fact that we didn’t says everything about us.

Home games against Newport and Swindon are both winnable and 4 or 6 points might be enough from those two, but I just don’t believe we will achieve that. I don’t see anything in the evidence that suggests we are likely to score more than 1 goal a game, so any apparent goal difference advantage will soon be gone I think. Meanwhile - FGR and Sutton have started to score freely. I can see us finishing bottom, but then again, a home win on Saturday, together with one or two of the other three getting turned over and it will change the overall picture again. I can’t stand it. I think it’s disgraceful that we’re in this position yet again and I’m furious about it really.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
GrimPol
April 2, 2024, 1:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -772
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GrimRob
Finishing a tight season third bottom is more exciting than a midtable finish with nothing to play for for two months. Definitely prefer not dicing with death though.

That might be an end-of-season quote when you have just managed safety, but I'm passing bricks right now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
Teestogreen
April 2, 2024, 1:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Hagrid
as said, the 2 home games are massive

we dont lose many away, but we've only won 1.

Swindon have the worst away form in the division and we have them to play at home.

I can remember watching Town beat Swindon 3-2 in the last game of a season in the late 60’s early 70’s - Stuart Housley scored a cracker  - however, to no avail as other results went against us, and Town were relegated to Division 4.

Hopefully, the management team will use that game in their motivational team talk - win and our luck changes and we stay up.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
Maringer
April 2, 2024, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
Will there be a Harry Cardwell moment where one of our players trips over his own laces and it leads to us nicking a win?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
Mappers
April 2, 2024, 2:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,400
Gold Stars: 119
It will all become more clear at about 10pm next Tuesday

We could be all but safe or .....

The or doesn't really bear thinking about tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sutton United & Forest Green Rovers

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.