ex-merseymariner
February 29, 2024, 11:46pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mariner91

Just what was Hurst playing at setting up a squad with two goalkeepers who at the start of the season hadn't made 50 appearances in the EFL between them?! The whole squad he put together was severely lacking in EFL experience but that's just ridiculous.

You might just want to look at how much/little EFL experience Max Crocombe had at the start of this season...

Also Aidan Davison hadn't played much in his career when AB brought him in.  Maybe keepers are a bit different...

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
dapperz fun pub
March 1, 2024, 6:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,947
Gold Stars: 82
Both of them fill me with fear  , Eastwood looks like he’s totally out of his depth and Cartwright looks better but not much better.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
golfer
March 1, 2024, 7:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
We must be the worst off for goalkeepers than any team in league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
gytone
March 1, 2024, 10:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Bit surprised we never got or went for a new goalie in January (assuming we never) and either sent Cartwright back or paid Eastwood off. I do think Cartwright will be ok, and Eastwood perhaps wouldn't have cost much to pay off ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
mariner91
March 1, 2024, 10:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

You might just want to look at how much/little EFL experience Max Crocombe had at the start of this season...

Also Aidan Davison hadn't played much in his career when AB brought him in.  Maybe keepers are a bit different...

I’m too young to comment on the Aidan Davison one. But Crocombe had just been number one and really impressive in a side that got promoted from the NL. Eastwood has had one season where he was number one anywhere and they got relegated whilst he was roundly considered by their fans to be crap. If you were given those situations but didn’t know either player, you’d take the one who was well thought of at a promotion winning team every day.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Poojah
March 1, 2024, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,559
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from gytone
Bit surprised we never got or went for a new goalie in January (assuming we never) and either sent Cartwright back or paid Eastwood off. I do think Cartwright will be ok, and Eastwood perhaps wouldn't have cost much to pay off ?

I’m actually slightly surprised Hull didn’t recall Cartwright (as Man Yoo did Henderson after they felt he wasn’t being properly looked after). Sure, he’s getting minutes under his belt for the first time in his career, but goalkeeping is a a hugely psychological craft, and picking the ball out of the net 5 or 6 times on a routine basis can’t be doing the kid’s development much good.

I think Cartwright has shown he’s got enough in his locker to have a decent career in the game - he’s still only 21 and this is his first season playing regular, men’s football. But there’s certainly a question as to whether, at this moment in time, we’re a good fit for one another.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
HerveJosse
March 1, 2024, 7:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

I’m actually slightly surprised Hull didn’t recall Cartwright (as Man Yoo did Henderson after they felt he wasn’t being properly looked after). Sure, he’s getting minutes under his belt for the first time in his career, but goalkeeping is a a hugely psychological craft, and picking the ball out of the net 5 or 6 times on a routine basis can’t be doing the kid’s development much good.

I think Cartwright has shown he’s got enough in his locker to have a decent career in the game - he’s still only 21 and this is his first season playing regular, men’s football. But there’s certainly a question as to whether, at this moment in time, we’re a good fit for one another.

Yes he’s a Gen Z after all. Who wants a job where there is  a lot of work to do?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
Swansea_Mariner
March 1, 2024, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,453
Gold Stars: 63
I reckon a recall would really help us as we could get an emergency loan in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Davec
March 1, 2024, 8:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I reckon a recall would really help us as we could get an emergency loan in.

I'm not entirely sure that is right, I assume Eastwood would qualify as a recognised keeper? So I don't see how we would qualify for an emergency loan unless he got injured!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
dapperz fun pub
March 1, 2024, 9:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,947
Gold Stars: 82
Poor decision not to get another keeper in , obviously it’s not all the the keepers fault but by god we could have done with a old head between the sticks for the remainder of the season
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Eastwood/Cartwright

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.