Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Club Accounts
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Club Accounts

This thread currently has 12,166 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
JK47
March 1, 2024, 4:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Mappers

If they won't/can't keep funding it or find investment  , they will have to run to a sustainable margin possibly at a lower level . You could say  we have thrown a relatively large amount at the playing budget this season without success ; so you could argue : what was the point as it's effectively money down the drain .

There is another option which I doubt would go down well with fans after all the crap years . Trying to raise the money naturally for a new stadium , scrambling together as much as possible and Stockwood & Pettit propping up a shortfall - what would be the minimum?  30 million quid for a new stadium probably .

Hang around league 2 as long as possible , scooping up this new TV money for as long as possible and just build that up alongside an bottom end budget and within 10 years you would probably just about be able to do it ; however I doubt fans would tolerate the short term pain for long term gain option , with a likely stint in the NL (probably mid to bottom end) .

But a reasonable argument might be the last 20 years have been shite anyway without anything tangible coming out of it , what would another 10 matter with something at the end of the rainbow ?

Probably a bad idea , but a different idea .

In the Tom Shutes thread I've given the only place we COULD get cash from.  We've been looking for a privately funded ground for the last 64 years.  We can be looking for one for the next 64 and it won't appear.  Your £30m is way below what one would cost these days, and I don't think you can expect the current owners (or any future owners) to fund it.  The possibility of retail doing so in the current climate is non-existent, the Council can't, so that leaves one option ... the same folk who can pay £600,000,000 for Jim Ratcliffe's new refinery in Amsterdam, or between £3,000,000,000 and £30,000,000,000 to do up MPs work space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 171
diehardmariner
March 1, 2024, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Mappers

If they won't/can't keep funding it or find investment  , they will have to run to a sustainable margin possibly at a lower level . You could say  we have thrown a relatively large amount at the playing budget this season without success ; so you could argue : what was the point as it's effectively money down the drain .

There is another option which I doubt would go down well with fans after all the crap years . Trying to raise the money naturally for a new stadium , scrambling together as much as possible and Stockwood & Pettit propping up a shortfall - what would be the minimum?  30 million quid for a new stadium probably .

Hang around league 2 as long as possible , scooping up this new TV money for as long as possible and just build that up alongside an bottom end budget and within 10 years you would probably just about be able to do it ; however I doubt fans would tolerate the short term pain for long term gain option , with a likely stint in the NL (probably mid to bottom end) .

But a reasonable argument might be the last 20 years have been shite anyway without anything tangible coming out of it , what would another 10 matter with something at the end of the rainbow ?

Probably a bad idea , but a different idea .

I like the idea and the logic of it appeals to me.  

Happy to be challenged on the figures but I think our current TV deal and solidarity payments total just over £800k a season.  With the 50% increase to come that's only an extra £400k a year coming into the club.  Even if we make a stand and say we're not going to let that extra income just get eaten up by extra wages, that's a lot of years of scrimping to pay for a new stadium.

The more we scrimp, the shitter the football and the less fans will turn out which in turn means less revenue through the gates.  
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 171
HerveJosse
March 1, 2024, 4:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from diehardmariner

Previous issue with the Main Stand fire risk wasn't so much the wood, it was the crap that fell underneath the stand and the risk of that catching fire (as per the Bradford fire tragedy).  Was a Channel 4 documentary in the early to mid 1990's about stadiums and the risks, there was an undercover bit in the Main Stand during a game and it showed underneath (this was prior to the steps being encased), frightening amount of rubbish just thrown down to the bottom.

That was the Pontoon not the Main Stand. I remember Furneaux being done up like a Kipper on tv..The Main Stand is largely filled in with facilities of sorts underneath
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 171
Mappers
March 1, 2024, 4:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from JK47

In the Tom Shutes thread I've given the only place we COULD get cash from.  We've been looking for a privately funded ground for the last 64 years.  We can be looking for one for the next 64 and it won't appear.  Your £30m is way below what one would cost these days, and I don't think you can expect the current owners (or any future owners) to fund it.  The possibility of retail doing so in the current climate is non-existent, the Council can't, so that leaves one option ... the same folk who can pay £600,000,000 for Jim Ratcliffe's new refinery in Amsterdam, or between £3,000,000,000 and £30,000,000,000 to do up MPs work space.

I just can't see that happening sadly , much like the football regulator anytime soon or the sky tv money going on purely infrastructure cost's .

In my parallel universe idea I'm not saying they should fund it entirely , basically make up the shortfall (which they are going to be doing with BP anyway, so it would be effectively the same outlay over 10 years on something that will make a difference rather than a money drain ).

Of course you can build a stadium for 30 million much like you could for 5 million what you will get for that is obviously much different to what you would 10 or 15 years ago but I think you could /would get much better than BP in truth with better commercial revenue streams .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 171
Mappers
March 1, 2024, 4:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
B.P or not B.P..that is the question,  whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the urinals of the Pontoon ..or squander Stockwood and Petits fortune..

In the very first interviews they gave i am pretty sure they stated they already have an exit strategy.....they also fairly early ruled out moving from B.P...

They know its a weight around their neck, probably under estimated it in some respects...but I think they are pretty clear that they will repair and improve year on year ....even for 10 yrs (and i would doubt they see themselves here that long in all honesty) at current bills that might be £5m .....peanuts compared to a new ground which couldn't be delivered in that timescale anyway from current position.

They have already turned loans to shares....if only everyone did that eh?.....and are open about their intentions, I don't see any outlandish claims or promises from them to date.

I suspect they wish to help bring the club to a levelish trading position, possibly introducing new blood and money into the picture, improving off field facilities, ie the training ground and minor works at B.P before bowing out with possibly a large fan/ trust control element and community presence and whoever is passed the baton will get a club with an overhaul better health check than they bought.

It's going to be a fair bit more than that I think, 400k+750k for the main and the findus according to those on here . I suppose in terms of further down the line it's whether these are regular costs - I'm led to believe all these works were flagged up on the 'big' 10 year inspection . So whether there will be respite after they are dealt with is anyone's guess I suppose . Like anything old even if not picked up on , you have to assume there is that element of suprise aswell in that things unprepared for could also provide further problems and need to spend .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 171
HerveJosse
March 1, 2024, 4:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
All this stuff about the ground is all well and good but it has absolutely nothing to do with how this season has turned out . We had a more than competitive playing budget and appear to have ballsed up in every department. If we had somehow built a new stand this year it would probably have had the roof put on upside down and the seating facing out across the car park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 171
Poojah
March 1, 2024, 4:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from HerveJosse
All this stuff about the ground is all well and good but it has absolutely nothing to do with how this season has turned out . We had a more then competitive playing budget and appear to have ballsed up in every department

Correct.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 171
Mappers
March 1, 2024, 4:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
All this stuff about the ground is all well and good but it has absolutely nothing to do with how this season has turned out . We had a more than competitive playing budget and appear to have ballsed up in every department. If we had somehow built a new stand this year it would probably have had the roof put on upside down and the seating facing out across the car park.

I think everyone can agree recruitment was desperately poor .

If you had to rate it what 2/10 and that's only because of Danny Rose and Conteh otherwise it would be nowt from me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 171
diehardmariner
March 1, 2024, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from HerveJosse

That was the Pontoon not the Main Stand. I remember Furneaux being done up like a Kipper on tv..The Main Stand is largely filled in with facilities of sorts underneath

Thought it was both? The bits of the Main were the 'newer' bits that don't host the changing rooms, old offices etc.

Bloody long time ago though so happy to go with your memory on it.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 171
David Frazer
March 1, 2024, 5:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -455
Gold Stars: 4
Oh dear it doesent sound to good does it ! If only Fenty had taken up the grants available to rebuild ,but never mind you were all happy he kept you in budget/small profit each year,but the reality is he left you with a rotten,cesspit of a ground which is barely fit for purpose and noose round your necks for future progress !

Good luck for saturday versus plastic green rovers!

U T I
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Club Accounts

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.