Heisenberg
February 17, 2024, 9:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,053
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Yossarian

I heard Bruce say on DN35 the other day that he doesn’t watch highlights any more and I’m exactly the same. The ITV show just gets deleted every Sunday morning as I can’t face it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
AncientExiledMariner
February 17, 2024, 9:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Usually the individual errors stand out quite obviously. Maher/Cartwright and Clifton/Gnahoa last week. Their attack looked pretty good and their wing play was quite impressive. The quality of league 2 is much higher than it ever used to be. We maybe are throwing too many forward and leaving ourselves exposed, but the counters are very quick, very accurate and quite lethal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
GibMariner
February 17, 2024, 10:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Keeper needs a break.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 17, 2024, 10:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from GibMariner
Keeper needs a break.

Who on earth do you replace him with?

It can’t be Eastwood. Pearson might be a safer bet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Heisenberg
February 17, 2024, 10:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,053
Gold Stars: 93

Who on earth do you replace him with?

It can’t be Eastwood. Pearson might be a safer bet.

Eastwood started the season strongly (penalty save on opening day) - I do agree he’s not convincing, but you have to wonder what was going on with him. He looked good enough in the first few games, then lost confidence.

I will tar him with being relegated last season ( a la Mullarkey, Rodgers and Tharne), and maybe it’s that defence in front of him that was the problem?

But honestly, I give up trying to work this out at the minute……
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
RichMariner
February 17, 2024, 10:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Crocombe wasn't worth keeping hold of, apparently.

Mullarkey wasn't an upgrade on Efete, who wasn't good enough, apparently.

Rodgers isn't fit to lace Andy Smith's boots.

Maher was alright but looks a poor man's Waterfall now (who's not up to it, apparently).

Glennon, who kept Amos out the side, now can't get in the side.

Tell you what — Crocombe behind Efete, Waterfall, Smith and Amos wouldn't get absolutely wiped like our lot currently are.

We're poorer for the changes right across the back line. That's on Hurst mostly, but also Artell for taking what he had, and making it worse.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Yoda
February 17, 2024, 11:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Does our keeper ever save a shot he should of saved at least two of them not good enough for me.
And our tackling omg we are nailed on for relegation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
DB
February 17, 2024, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,020
Gold Stars: 386
Well, I've summoned up the courage to watch it. It seems to me, and I may be wrong but Maher and Smith were responsible for all their 5 goals, failed to tackle, turned back at the striker, wrong side of the striker.

What I did see for their 2nd goal was Clifton running back from the halfway line, past our defenders, to try and get a tackle in on the guy who passed to the striker for that goal. Maher who should have marked him was nowhere near.

As much as I'm not a fan of Mullarkey his replacement is no better. I thought Jason said the plan was to improve in the transfer windows on the players have.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
February 17, 2024, 11:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from DB

What I did see for their 2nd goal was Clifton running back from the halfway line, past our defenders, to try and get a tackle in on the guy who passed to the striker for that goal. Maher who should have marked him was nowhere near.

The reason Clifton was running back so quickly was because it was his sloppy pass that started the trouble.

Andrews then did his customary big, wet fänny impression by Eastwooding out of a challenge he was 90:10 in favour of winning (not for the first time this season).

To Clifton’s credit, at least he bothered to make an effort to get back after his error, unlike Andrews who was prancing around like the knitted scarf he is, and whichever other vapid waste of skin was supposed to be in our midfield.

Then Clifton tries to clobber Adelakun and Maher gets bullied for his change in the dinner queue.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
mariner91
February 17, 2024, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
First goal Maher should have got there when the ball was loose early on and the defence was all over the place. Great finish though.

Second goal given the ball away very cheaply in the midfield, Smith beaten way too easily and Maher lets Ironside get across him.

Third goal the tracking or lack of from Eisa is criminal. Absolutely pathetic.

Fourth goal a complete mess defensively, all over the shop.

Fifth goal terrible goalkeeping, should have been saved.

We are really bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
DB
February 17, 2024, 11:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,020
Gold Stars: 386

The reason Clifton was running back so quickly was because it was his sloppy pass that started the trouble.

Andrews then did his customary big, wet fänny impression by Eastwooding out of a challenge he was 90:10 in favour of winning (not for the first time this season).

To Clifton’s credit, at least he bothered to make an effort to get back after his error, unlike Andrews who was prancing around like the knitted scarf he is, and whichever other vapid waste of skin was supposed to be in our midfield.

Then Clifton tries to clobber Adelakun and Maher gets bullied for his change in the dinner queue.

Yep, I'm with that. My point is that our so called defenders had several yards start on Clifton but were failing to get near the man.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
February 17, 2024, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from DB

Yep, I'm with that. My point is that our so called defenders had several yards start on Clifton but were failing to get near the man.

Agreed. It’s also our non-existent midfield who just go through the motions.

What is the point of Green?

I was excited when we signed him. I thought he was the sort of dogged DCM who would do the dirty work, win the ball back and then play a simple pass.

Initially I thought he wasn’t 100% fit but then we seemed to play him as the most attacking of the midfield three in his first couple of months.

Given Green’s limited abilities on the ball, why is he often caught so far ahead of it on transition.

Doncaster’s first goal, Green should be in front of the back four protecting it and filling the space. Why is he so far forward and then lumbering back like his CPU has short-circuited?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
RonMariner
February 17, 2024, 11:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,696
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Yossarian

The horror, the horror.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Yoda
Does our keeper ever save a shot he should of saved at least two of them not good enough for me.
And our tackling omg we are nailed on for relegation

I think Cartwright has avoided taking too much blame because he is a young keeper learning his trade with that defence, but why the hell has he been put in thatposition? That aside, he doesn't look nearly ready for first team football and all the efforts on goal just sail past him.

The biggest thing we could do is find a free agent keeper who has been round the block a bit to give a bit of maturity back there, if we could find anybody that would put themselves in the firing line.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Maringer
February 18, 2024, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Other than the last one, I don't think Cartwright had a chance with any of the goals - and it was really rubbish defensive play from Smith that allowed their player to easily cut in on his right foot. He should have been sent down the line.

I don't think Cartwright is too bad, but the shocking defence in front of him doesn't really give him a chance.

For some reason, teams have been absolutely clinical against us this year. Donny had 4 shots on target yesterday and scored 5 and Tranmere had one shot on target and scored twice! Stockport scored with 3 out of 4 shots on target, Walsall scored 6 from 7 on target.

It's ridiculously accurate finishing from the opposition at the moment and I just hope our luck changes because we don't look to be good enough to change it around ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 2:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Yes the keeper saves nothing if it’s on target it’s in.
I know our defence is awful but he has to save the odd one, the second yesterday went in just over his head nowhere near the corner most keepers would of turned that over the bar as for the 5th goal well basic shot should be saved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
dapperz fun pub
February 18, 2024, 2:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Maringer
Other than the last one, I don't think Cartwright had a chance with any of the goals - and it was really rubbish defensive play from Smith that allowed their player to easily cut in on his right foot. He should have been sent down the line.

I don't think Cartwright is too bad, but the shocking defence in front of him doesn't really give him a chance.

For some reason, teams have been absolutely clinical against us this year. Donny had 4 shots on target yesterday and scored 5 and Tranmere had one shot on target and scored twice! Stockport scored with 3 out of 4 shots on target, Walsall scored 6 from 7 on target.

It's ridiculously accurate finishing from the opposition at the moment and I just hope our luck changes because we don't look to be good enough to change it around ourselves.

If you get a shot on target basically you score against us , the young keeper shouldn’t be in this position I don’t blame him but it’s time he was taken out of the firing line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
It Bites
February 18, 2024, 2:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,181
Gold Stars: 264
The first position Artell should of addressed was the keeper .neither are good enough. Cartwright would’ve ok as a back up though .
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
Limerick Mariner
February 18, 2024, 3:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Usually the individual errors stand out quite obviously. Maher/Cartwright and Clifton/Gnahoa last week. Their attack looked pretty good and their wing play was quite impressive. The quality of league 2 is much higher than it ever used to be. We maybe are throwing too many forward and leaving ourselves exposed, but the counters are very quick, very accurate and quite lethal.

No one tracked their players arriving at the edge of the box for the first. The second we put in two challenges that were weaker than p1ss. The third - acres of space again down our left and  was after Tharme had been dispossessed way out of position

No words for what came after that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 18, 2024, 8:09pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +844
Gold Stars: 117
Cartwright....................complete excrement
Smith............................total excrement
Tharme.........................utter excrement
Maher............................intercourse me sideways........excrement
Hume.............................excrement
Clifton............................some effort but.........excrement
Green.............................WTAF! Get off the pitch
Andrews........................words fail me!
Vernam..........................moments of magic but.......excrement
Eisa................................we would play better if he wasnt on the pitch..excrement
Rose..............................class act
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
TownSNAFU5
February 18, 2024, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Out of interest I did the same as you Maringer.  Looking at a number of recent home games for away teams “shots on target v Goals scored”.

Summary results show:

35 shots on target v 26 goals scored.  (BBC individual match stats). ( Accuracy 95% as done roughly).

No details for other teams checked.  But this looks very bad to me.  Effectively, an away team will score on average at least 2 goals with 3 shots on target!

The reasons for why so many goals are conceded, from a few shots on target, are many and varied.  However, I would venture that the midfield does not retain possession, tackle,  win possession, track back put much energy in or protect the back 4. A basic lack of quality, with a few match exceptions.

Therefore, the defence is over-run.

The fullbacks are too slow,  do not stop crosses (Notts County with Jones making 3 goals a good or bad example) and can be caught out of position.

The centre backs are not very good, fail to mark players, slow to react, lack confidence and get very little protection.  

The keeper gets little or non protection and faces the Alamo most home games. Poor sod.

The combined result of all these failings is that opposing teams can frequently get into good positions close to goal.  After that the annoying thing is that away teams have been very clinical in their shooting.  (Generally beyond any possibility of the keeper saving anything).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Cartwright....................complete excrement
Smith............................total excrement
Tharme.........................utter excrement
Maher............................intercourse me sideways........excrement
Hume.............................excrement
Clifton............................some effort but.........excrement
Green.............................WTAF! Get off the pitch
Andrews........................words fail me!
Vernam..........................moments of magic but.......excrement
Eisa................................we would play better if he wasnt on the pitch..excrement
Rose..............................class act

Many a true word said in jest!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
RonMariner
February 18, 2024, 11:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,696
Gold Stars: 226
I wasn't at the game but from what I saw in those highlights we looked in disarray. That is down to organisation which is a reflection of how the team is set up by the management. To quote a former manager we just do not seem to 'keep us shape'.

I also saw some really half hearted challenges and slapdash play which is really down to the players.

So both manager and players need to buck their ideas up. The team need clear re-organisation, and I think we lack leaders on the pitch.

From what people at the game have said I think the Green/Clifton/Andrews midfield combination is a complete non starter. Get Holohan, Hunt and even Khouri back in the frame for at least one if not two positions.

We know that Arthur, Pyke and Wilson have all offered something positive at various stages, so some combination of them needs to feature earlier in games, certainly in preference to the kid from Coventry. I think we need to rest Cartwright as the goals verses shots on target stats are shocking.

The positives are that Vernham and Rose are effective at this level. If Thomson is fit he is a good holding midfielder.

All is not lost yet. There are still 15 games to play. But we really do need to make the best of the players we have. It doesn't look like Artell is doing that at the moment.  He needs to radically rethink his strategy, tactics, team selections and substitutions or else step aside and let the other coaches do so.        

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2024, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
I wasn't at the game but from what I saw in those highlights we looked in disarray. That is down to organisation which is a reflection of how the team is set up by the management. To quote a former manager we just do not seem to 'keep us shape'.

I also saw some really half hearted challenges and slapdash play which is really down to the players.

So both manager and players need to buck their ideas up. The team need clear re-organisation, and I think we lack leaders on the pitch.

From what people at the game have said I think the Green/Clifton/Andrews midfield combination is a complete non starter. Get Holohan, Hunt and even Khouri back in the frame for at least one if not two positions.

We know that Arthur, Pyke and Wilson have all offered something positive at various stages, so some combination of them needs to feature earlier in games, certainly in preference to the kid from Coventry. I think we need to rest Cartwright as the goals verses shots on target stats are shocking.

The positives are that Vernham and Rose are effective at this level. If Thomson is fit he is a good holding midfielder.

All is not lost yet. There are still 15 games to play. But we really do need to make the best of the players we have. It doesn't look like Artell is doing that at the moment.  He needs to radically rethink his strategy, tactics, team selections and substitutions or else step aside and let the other coaches do so.        

The biggest problem, or at least one of many, is that we are so weak. Weak in character, weak in (non) tackles,  weak in any sort of physical aggression. Maher and Tharme as a centre back pairing in league 2? It beggars belief but whatever system we play, and whatever players we choose get some fire in their bellies!

Cartwright needs dropping whether we can find a free agent keeper or not. Eisa needs dropping and we need to change shape so everybody is not completely caught out of position at the back. It's a mess it really is.

I wish I could retract my assertion a few ago that Artell would be great for us, but some of the football was brilliant early doors and I assumed we would just get better.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Southwark Mariner
February 19, 2024, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I made a similar mistake when I said sacking Hurst wouldn't change anything. I hadn't contemplated we could get worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Doncaster Match "Highlights"-  

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.