Gold Stars: 117
Cartwright....................complete excrement
Smith............................total excrement
Tharme.........................utter excrement
Maher............................intercourse me sideways........excrement
Hume.............................excrement
Clifton............................some effort but.........excrement
Green.............................WTAF! Get off the pitch
Andrews........................words fail me!
Vernam..........................moments of magic but.......excrement
Eisa................................we would play better if he wasnt on the pitch..excrement
Rose..............................class act
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
TownSNAFU5
February 18, 2024, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Out of interest I did the same as you Maringer.  Looking at a number of recent home games for away teams “shots on target v Goals scored”.

Summary results show:

35 shots on target v 26 goals scored.  (BBC individual match stats). ( Accuracy 95% as done roughly).

No details for other teams checked.  But this looks very bad to me.  Effectively, an away team will score on average at least 2 goals with 3 shots on target!

The reasons for why so many goals are conceded, from a few shots on target, are many and varied.  However, I would venture that the midfield does not retain possession, tackle,  win possession, track back put much energy in or protect the back 4. A basic lack of quality, with a few match exceptions.

Therefore, the defence is over-run.

The fullbacks are too slow,  do not stop crosses (Notts County with Jones making 3 goals a good or bad example) and can be caught out of position.

The centre backs are not very good, fail to mark players, slow to react, lack confidence and get very little protection.  

The keeper gets little or non protection and faces the Alamo most home games. Poor sod.

The combined result of all these failings is that opposing teams can frequently get into good positions close to goal.  After that the annoying thing is that away teams have been very clinical in their shooting.  (Generally beyond any possibility of the keeper saving anything).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Cartwright....................complete excrement
Smith............................total excrement
Tharme.........................utter excrement
Maher............................intercourse me sideways........excrement
Hume.............................excrement
Clifton............................some effort but.........excrement
Green.............................WTAF! Get off the pitch
Andrews........................words fail me!
Vernam..........................moments of magic but.......excrement
Eisa................................we would play better if he wasnt on the pitch..excrement
Rose..............................class act

Many a true word said in jest!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
RonMariner
February 18, 2024, 11:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
I wasn't at the game but from what I saw in those highlights we looked in disarray. That is down to organisation which is a reflection of how the team is set up by the management. To quote a former manager we just do not seem to 'keep us shape'.

I also saw some really half hearted challenges and slapdash play which is really down to the players.

So both manager and players need to buck their ideas up. The team need clear re-organisation, and I think we lack leaders on the pitch.

From what people at the game have said I think the Green/Clifton/Andrews midfield combination is a complete non starter. Get Holohan, Hunt and even Khouri back in the frame for at least one if not two positions.

We know that Arthur, Pyke and Wilson have all offered something positive at various stages, so some combination of them needs to feature earlier in games, certainly in preference to the kid from Coventry. I think we need to rest Cartwright as the goals verses shots on target stats are shocking.

The positives are that Vernham and Rose are effective at this level. If Thomson is fit he is a good holding midfielder.

All is not lost yet. There are still 15 games to play. But we really do need to make the best of the players we have. It doesn't look like Artell is doing that at the moment.  He needs to radically rethink his strategy, tactics, team selections and substitutions or else step aside and let the other coaches do so.        

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2024, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RonMariner
I wasn't at the game but from what I saw in those highlights we looked in disarray. That is down to organisation which is a reflection of how the team is set up by the management. To quote a former manager we just do not seem to 'keep us shape'.

I also saw some really half hearted challenges and slapdash play which is really down to the players.

So both manager and players need to buck their ideas up. The team need clear re-organisation, and I think we lack leaders on the pitch.

From what people at the game have said I think the Green/Clifton/Andrews midfield combination is a complete non starter. Get Holohan, Hunt and even Khouri back in the frame for at least one if not two positions.

We know that Arthur, Pyke and Wilson have all offered something positive at various stages, so some combination of them needs to feature earlier in games, certainly in preference to the kid from Coventry. I think we need to rest Cartwright as the goals verses shots on target stats are shocking.

The positives are that Vernham and Rose are effective at this level. If Thomson is fit he is a good holding midfielder.

All is not lost yet. There are still 15 games to play. But we really do need to make the best of the players we have. It doesn't look like Artell is doing that at the moment.  He needs to radically rethink his strategy, tactics, team selections and substitutions or else step aside and let the other coaches do so.        

The biggest problem, or at least one of many, is that we are so weak. Weak in character, weak in (non) tackles,  weak in any sort of physical aggression. Maher and Tharme as a centre back pairing in league 2? It beggars belief but whatever system we play, and whatever players we choose get some fire in their bellies!

Cartwright needs dropping whether we can find a free agent keeper or not. Eisa needs dropping and we need to change shape so everybody is not completely caught out of position at the back. It's a mess it really is.

I wish I could retract my assertion a few ago that Artell would be great for us, but some of the football was brilliant early doors and I assumed we would just get better.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Southwark Mariner
February 19, 2024, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I made a similar mistake when I said sacking Hurst wouldn't change anything. I hadn't contemplated we could get worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Doncaster Match "Highlights"-  

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.