Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 217 Guests

Glennon potentially to depart?

This thread currently has 8,817 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
GlosMariner
June 9, 2023, 5:12pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +4
Pete O’Rourke reporting Preston and Swansea leading the race to sign him. He’s been right about our other three transfers and is pretty reliable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
LH
June 9, 2023, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,520
Gold Stars: 173
Pete O’Rourke is the League Two Fabrizio Romano so it’s likely there’s some truth in this. Cash in IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 65
It Bites
June 9, 2023, 5:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,183
Gold Stars: 264
I did say he was our stand out performer last season . He's just too good for LG2
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I like the lad and I think he underperformed last season (which I believe was down to him carrying an injury).

But he definitely didn't show enough athletic ability to be at a Championship club with an eye on the top 6.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 65
June 9, 2023, 5:38pm
Guest User
If the money offered is good enough, there's a decent case for grabbing it. Amos is an improving player imo.
Reply: 4 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 5:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 118
We are seemingly in a better financial position (don't particularly need the cash) than Swansea or Preston - could we not just hold them to ransom 'pay 500k or  he stays ' sort of thing ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 65
pen penfras
June 9, 2023, 5:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Mappers
We are seemingly in a better financial position (don't particularly need the cash) than Swansea or Preston - could we not just hold them to ransom 'pay 500k or  he stays ' sort of thing ?

Yes, but if you keep a player from an opportunity like that by holding out for 5 times what he's worth, being generous, then he's hardly likely to be happy and perform to his best.

Surprising if it's true. He has good delivery but the rest of his game looks some way short of Championship quality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 65
MuddyWaters
June 9, 2023, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Everyone has a price. Thankfully, we’re in a much better position to make sure we get the best price rather than taking the first one that’s offered.

I like Glennon but he isn’t irreplaceable.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 65
Wiley2405
June 9, 2023, 5:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Year left on his contract I doubt we will be looking at 6 figures? Higher end of 5 probably. Maybe 75k?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 6:05pm
Champagne Drinker
If we are going down the moneyball route , we will have to wait until we are in league 1 to get any decent cash won't we ?

Players in league 2 seem to go for peanuts .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 65
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 9, 2023, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,836
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from diehardmariner
I like the lad and I think he underperformed last season (which I believe was down to him carrying an injury).

But he definitely didn't show enough athletic ability to be at a Championship club with an eye on the top 6.

Yes he did. I think he could become one of the best left backs of all time and somewhere around £2.5m would be an absolute bargain

(Just incase anyone from Lancashire or south wales is reading!)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 65
GtfcGarner
June 9, 2023, 6:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
I like the lad and his attacking game is alot better than his defending game. Think he will have a standout season this year if he stays. However can't stand in the way of denying him the Championship if it comes beckoning. I think we could demand a 100-125k fee for him maybe a little more. Look at Danny Rose, I bet we paid around 30-50k for him with a year left on his deal and the money for Championship clubs is peanuts considering Swansea could potentially sell the likes of Piroe for 10m.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 6:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Yes, but if you keep a player from an opportunity like that by holding out for 5 times what he's worth, being generous, then he's hardly likely to be happy and perform to his best.

Surprising if it's true. He has good delivery but the rest of his game looks some way short of Championship quality

Also a year left on his deal.  12-months time he's 24 and we get nothing at all for him.  

Left-back is a position I trust Hurst to bring in quality, with or without a budget.  Discounting when he had to rifle in bargain bins of Mad Harry's, the most recent left-back signings at this club I can remember are:

Glennon
Amos
Crookes
Andrew
Robertson
Horwood
Townsend

I think there's an argument that maybe Horwood wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either.  Crookes was very solid and dependable, only really fell out of favour when we looked for a more attacking option.

Yes, I deliberately omitted Seb Revan.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 65
headingly_mariner
June 9, 2023, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,350
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I like the lad and his attacking game is alot better than his defending game. Think he will have a standout season this year if he stays. However can't stand in the way of denying him the Championship if it comes beckoning. I think we could demand a 100-125k fee for him maybe a little more. Look at Danny Rose, I bet we paid around 30-50k for him with a year left on his deal and the money for Championship clubs is peanuts considering Swansea could potentially sell the likes of Piroe for 10m.

He's great going forward and an excellent wing back. He actually really improved defensively throughout the cup run. Likeable lad, great attitude and great technically. It's nice to have players that people are interested in. I don't want to see him leave but if you're going to lose players for cash, full backs are fairly easy to replace.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 65
jamesgtfc
June 9, 2023, 6:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190

Also a year left on his deal.  12-months time he's 24 and we get nothing at all for him.  

Left-back is a position I trust Hurst to bring in quality, with or without a budget.  Discounting when he had to rifle in bargain bins of Mad Harry's, the most recent left-back signings at this club I can remember are:

Glennon
Amos
Crookes
Andrew
Robertson
Horwood
Townsend

I think there's an argument that maybe Horwood wasn't great, but he wasn't awful either.  Crookes was very solid and dependable, only really fell out of favour when we looked for a more attacking option.

Yes, I deliberately omitted Seb Revan.

What about Jamal Fyfield? Was that a deliberate omission or a memory you had forgotten?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
2014, falls outside the recent criteria.

I don't make the rules.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 65
diehardmariner
June 9, 2023, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
I wish I could forget him.

The excitement on here of the sighting of Dany N'Guessan was at an all time peak...Or was that Anthony Straker?  He definitely fits into the recent and deliberate omission category.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 65
louth_in_the_south
June 9, 2023, 7:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
£150k is nothing to a championship team that’s losing twice that a week so we should hold out for as much as possible if they want him but you can’t stand in his way .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 65
jamesgtfc
June 9, 2023, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
I wish I could forget him.

The excitement on here of the sighting of Dany N'Guessan was at an all time peak...Or was that Anthony Straker?  He definitely fits into the recent and deliberate omission category.

End the thread, my confidence in Hurst signing a decent left back is rapidly decreasing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 65
Limerick Mariner
June 9, 2023, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
IIRC he was one of our better performer at Brighton; maybe the cup brought him some attention higher up the pyramid. If anything I would say slightly underwhelmed with his last season as a whole. Mainly because I was delighted when we landed him and expected him to kick on a bit more than did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 65
toontown
June 9, 2023, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I'd echo what most have said - v good going forward, wing back suits him, suspect defensively. I like him but certainly a bit surprised at championship interest, league 1 level would have seemed more realistic. Good luck to the lad tho if he can get such a move and we need to cash in to make it worthwhile to sell him, not give him away for next to nothing.

GTFC certainly seems to suit Glennon, am sure he must be pleased with how his moves here worked out for him both times.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 7:55pm
Champagne Drinker
No bids for Clifton yet then ?

I'm sure our regulars would have expected that far more than a bid for Glennon coming in!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 65
CSLM
June 9, 2023, 8:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +639
Gold Stars: 12
I really think he has potential.
I'd agree about his fitness/injuries holding him back, there is definitely a very decent player in there.

Posted before about him and Hunt really kicking on this season so that would be a shame.
Gotta say his commitment is right up there to. Works incredibly hard every time I have seen him.

Saying all of that I think Amos is pretty decent and is getting better.
If we can get a decent price for Glennon I'd take it and wish him all of the best.

Top bloke.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 65
Hants.Mariner
June 9, 2023, 8:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
2014, falls outside the recent criteria.

I don't make the rules.

Paul Dixon? Signed by Slade but recent memory

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 65
Maringer
June 9, 2023, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I think Glennon is a decent defender and has decent delivery into the box. However, his lack of pace is a problem from time to time in League Two and I think it would be insurmountable in the Championship. Wouldn't be devastated for him to leave if we got a reasonable amount of cash in return.

Not sure Amos is quite good enough to be a left-back in a promotion-winning team, but he's decent enough otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 65
ginnywings
June 9, 2023, 8:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Think Glennon is better than some give him credit for. He didn't look out of place against Brighton and I suspect if teams higher up are looking at him, it will be his potential they are looking at.

His stats will be attracting them and they will see someone they can work with and improve for relatively little money.

Fans don't always see the bigger picture.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 65
2004 honda civic
June 9, 2023, 8:42pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -5
He has always been a great player, has a nice left foot. championship level though? That’s a different question
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 65
Brummie Codfather
June 9, 2023, 8:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 21
My 2 pence worth, really rate Glennon but feel he needs a lot of work defensively, countering that amazing delivery.
I think he’d shine in a more attacking line up than we saw last year, potentially what we’re trying to do this year.  He’d probably showcase his skill more higher up the pyramid though.
Would love to keep him but the message from the owners is develop, grow and don’t stand in people’s way.   With that in mind, hope he stays but sure we have a plan if he goes
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 65
HertsGTFC
June 9, 2023, 9:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
I’ll be sad to see him go as I like watching him play as he likes to go forward & can be really exciting from LB.

Really good player still in development to a degree, though not there yet I could see him stepping up to the championship and who knows possibly beyond?

I think we got him for free, so take a good fee if it’s on offer and negotiate a decent sell on etc..

This week we’ve brought in what looks like 3 decent signings, if selling Glenno meant we’d cover the cost of this week’s business I’d take it.

Shame as he’s a good lad but PH will make sure that’s one spot that will be well covered.

Danny Amos is no mug either so we have someone there who can hack it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 65
ska face
June 9, 2023, 9:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from ginnywings
Think Glennon is better than some give him credit for. He didn't look out of place against Brighton and I suspect if teams higher up are looking at him, it will be his potential they are looking at.

His stats will be attracting them and they will see someone they can work with and improve for relatively little money.

The big picture is we’re a selling club with an asset which is only going to decrease in value from this point on (realistically). If we hadn’t sold McAtee at the same point, we wouldn’t have got £300k or whatever it was for him.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 65
HerveJosse
June 9, 2023, 9:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings

Bigger picture is as a defender he is very average
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 9:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

The big picture is we’re a selling club with an asset which is only going to decrease in value from this point on (realistically). If we hadn’t sold McAtee at the same point, we wouldn’t have got £300k or whatever it was for him.

The only need for us to sell will  be to improve the team/infrastructure and because the player will want a chance higher up - We are probably one of the most financially viable clubs in the EFL , as much as our former primary funder copulated the club, the one thing he did do is leave a healthy balance sheet .

So I do agree we are a selling club ,but we don't need to sell , we need to cream one of these daft Champ clubs for as much as we can get - a lower fee maybe  but a loan player of there's with  good quality and a loan back on Glennon would do .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
ginnywings
June 9, 2023, 9:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face

I agree entirely. No problem with cashing in on assets.

My point is that fans aren't always the best judge of a player and his potential.

Many fans were bemused by the sale of Bennett for instance and couldn't see his potential. He ended up playing in the Prem.

Some of those same fans are now praying we sign him again.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
ska face
June 9, 2023, 9:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

The only need for us to sell will  be to improve the team/infrastructure and because the player will want a chance higher up - We are probably one of the most financially viable clubs in the EFL , as much as our former primary funder copulated the club, the one thing he did do is leave a healthy balance sheet .

So I do agree we are a selling club ,but we don't need to sell , we need to cream one of these daft Champ clubs for as much as we can get - a lower fee maybe  but a loan player of there's with  good quality and a loan back on Glennon would do .

We’re a mid-table L2 side, one year out of the conference, who made a 7-figure loss last year. Let’s not go mental.

Think people also need to calm down on the idea of getting a player loaned back everytime we sell one. McAtee was understandable, going from conference to top end of the championship, but it’s not really that common an occurrence.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Maringer
June 9, 2023, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's a while back now, but did anybody really think he didn't have potential? I thought he could become a good Championship player but he did manage a couple of seasons as a Premier League player.

Other than a handful of 'Rob Atkinson is better' folk, I don't remember Bennett being talked down too much.

(For what it's worth, I didn't think Rob Atkinson was better than Bennett, but I did think he was better than he turned out to be!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
LocalLadGTFC
June 9, 2023, 10:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,217
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree entirely. No problem with cashing in on assets.

My point is that fans aren't always the best judge of a player and his potential.

Many fans were bemused by the sale of Bennett for instance and couldn't see his potential. He ended up playing in the Prem.

Some of those same fans are now praying we sign him again.

I don’t know many that couldn’t see Bennett’s potential, was involved with England U18’s played 100 games by 20 years old and was our club captain at 18. Glennon is 23 and is no way near the level Ryan was at. The more comparable player is probably Mattie Pollock
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 65
Mikey_345
June 9, 2023, 10:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
As I’ve already said, I hope this isn’t true - I’m a massive fan of Glennon. Peter O’Rourke is always on the money though, so we can be sure this isn’t just gossip. However how serious that interest is might be another matter - is he a first choice or a long way down their lists.

Regardless, this now has to be our model and I think we need to be prepared for these sorts of things as we try to progress the project.

Identify and bring in younger talent that’s maybe not had the chance, develop them here, move them on for a profit. With signing young exciting players instead of 34 year old journeymen (under fenty) comes the threat of losing those players.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 10:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

We’re a mid-table L2 side, one year out of the conference, who made a 7-figure loss last year. Let’s not go mental.

Think people also need to calm down on the idea of getting a player loaned back everytime we sell one. McAtee was understandable, going from conference to top end of the championship, but it’s not really that common an occurrence.

It's not that mental , maybe the loan idea is as it would take up a spot (i think you are only allowed 5 )

The 7 figure loss has mainly gone on infrastructure and backroom staff + a level of budget to actually compete .

I get what your saying walk before we run , but when we get to league 1 we will need to be looking at developing players to sell for high 6 figure or 7 figure amounts to stay competitive rather than this chicken feed in league 2 .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
Stew0_0
June 9, 2023, 11:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
Glennon has a wand of a left foot, excellent delivery and looks good going forward and from set plays. However some defensive short comings, mainly down to a seemingly lack of pace makes me doubt he could be a championship level defender.

If we could get a significant fee for this division for him at this level we would be foolhardy to not accept it, especially as I trust Hurst and the scouting team to have irons in the fire to cover all eventualities, especially considering the three to join this week.

Ideally though I hope there's no significant bid and Glenno stays and helps us get promoted with a year extension added to boot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
CSLM
June 9, 2023, 11:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +639
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Stew0_0
Glennon has a wand of a left foot, excellent delivery and looks good going forward and from set plays. However some defensive short comings, mainly down to a seemingly lack of pace makes me doubt he could be a championship level defender.

If we could get a significant fee for this division for him at this level we would be foolhardy to not accept it, especially as I trust Hurst and the scouting team to have irons in the fire to cover all eventualities, especially considering the three to join this week.

Ideally though I hope there's no significant bid and Glenno stays and helps us get promoted with a year extension added to boot.

Agreed.
Surely playing him further forward would make the most sense?
When he had decent support down the left he looked very dangerous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
Mappers
June 10, 2023, 5:44am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from CSLM

Agreed.
Surely playing him further forward would make the most sense?
When he had decent support down the left he looked very dangerous.

I thought that , I think Hurst tried it one game early on with Amos LB and Glennon LM ,can't remember who it was against .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 65
lukeo
June 10, 2023, 5:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I rate him but I'm surprised at the size of clubs supposedly interested. If this is true then he will go for sure, a shame but I'm sure PH has  a plan B
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 65
diehardmariner
June 10, 2023, 6:21am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hants.Mariner

Paul Dixon? Signed by Slade but recent memory

Definitely out of criteria.  

Arguably the worst left back I've seen for Town.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 65
acko338
June 10, 2023, 7:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
To move Glennon more advanced in the left flank would mean having to find a fully defence minded left back with enough pace to cover any speedy opposition wingers, which is where Glennon has been caught out sometimes this season.

The trap that Glennon has fallen into is when he is slightly too late making some tackles, either clattering the winger and getting booked, or having the ball nipped past him and not being able to turn and chase quickly enough.

Holding back, and not committing too early  would greatly improve the way that fans perceive his defensive qualities and assist him in not looking weak on that flank.

No one is above being sold for any good amounts, but some clear instructions in training sessions could make Glennon 100% more effective, and benefit the team as a whole.

Possibly spoilt by previously having Townsend and Andrew in that slot ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 65
diehardmariner
June 10, 2023, 7:46am
Vodka Drinker
Regardless if he stays or goes, I'm not convinced Glennon is actually slow.

He wasn't slow in his loan spell and I'm certain he wasn't slow early on last season. But when he returned from injury/illness he looked like he needed oiling!

Hopefully any niggles and issues are sorted over the summer break.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 65
chaos33
June 10, 2023, 8:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Would need to be a balance between us acquiring as much as we can for him whilst not standing in his way if he receives a career changing invitation and wants to go. For me, if it’s a championship club, we should’ve asking at least for a 6 figure sum, and pushing that as high as we can.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 65
GollyGTFC
June 10, 2023, 8:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,967
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from LH
Pete O’Rourke is the League Two Fabrizio Romano so it’s likely there’s some truth in this. Cash in IMO.

He also linked Glennon with jobs prior to the January transfer window and he stayed then…

[tweet]1588176129101291521[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 65
Mappers
June 10, 2023, 8:45am
Champagne Drinker
Regardless if he stays or goes, I'm not convinced Glennon is actually slow.

He wasn't slow in his loan spell and I'm certain he wasn't slow early on last season. But when he returned from injury/illness he looked like he needed oiling!

Hopefully any niggles and issues are sorted over the summer break.

Crikey you have not been in the lower for some of those balls in behind him then

Chugging puts it kindly
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 65
ska face
June 10, 2023, 8:57am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He also linked Glennon with jobs prior to the January transfer window and he stayed then…

[tweet]1588176129101291521[/tweet]

I was wondering yesterday where O’Rourke gets his news from, given he gets the scoop on about 99% of lower league deals.

He must have a good relationship with agents, who feed him stories to drive traffic to that footballinsider247 website which essentially is just a platform for ads - there’s nothing of any real substance on there. Agents probably get a cut of the ad revenue for providing stories.

To that end, I’d say this is probably Glennon’s agent trying to manufacture a move away, or get a new contract put in front of him by exaggerating the level of interest.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 65
HertsGTFC
June 10, 2023, 9:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

I was wondering yesterday where O’Rourke gets his news from, given he gets the scoop on about 99% of lower league deals.

He must have a good relationship with agents, who feed him stories to drive traffic to that footballinsider247 website which essentially is just a platform for ads - there’s nothing of any real substance on there. Agents probably get a cut of the ad revenue for providing stories.

To that end, I’d say this is probably Glennon’s agent trying to manufacture a move away, or get a new contract put in front of him by exaggerating the level of interest.

The thought had crossed my mind, social media is a free gift for greedy agents.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 65
Maringer
June 10, 2023, 9:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Glennon isn't Paul Dixon slow, but he's the slower of our two full-backs and Amos isn't a quick player. As I commented during the season, I don't recall any problems with pace during his loan spell a few years back, so I can only imagine injury of some sort has taken a toll since then as you don't usually get slower after your teens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
BackHeelTony
June 10, 2023, 9:55am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
If Glennon's pace is an issue, he definitely won't be going to a championship club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
grimsby pete
June 10, 2023, 10:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Glennon had covid early season and sometimes it takes months to get back to how you were before.

This season he hopefully will be feeling back to his best.

I hope it is with us if not we want as much money as we can get seeing there are several clubs interested.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
pen penfras
June 10, 2023, 10:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Maringer
Glennon isn't Paul Dixon slow, but he's the slower of our two full-backs and Amos isn't a quick player. As I commented during the season, I don't recall any problems with pace during his loan spell a few years back, so I can only imagine injury of some sort has taken a toll since then as you don't usually get slower after your teens.

When he was on loan, we played quite good football and the games that I saw, we were controlling them. That meant he wasn't getting exposed and it also coincided with Vernam's purple patch which would have pinned fullbacks away from overloading down there.

I don't recall him looking slow, but he wasn't getting exposed the same way as this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
jimgtfc
June 10, 2023, 10:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,089
Gold Stars: 45
This speculation makes me wonder what the clubs plan is now for talented young players heading into the last year of their contracts. I’d like us to always be in a position where our best assets are exactly that and they’re not allowed to dwindle down their contracts as has happened in the past. A part of a real successful business model at this level is bringing in young players, developing them and moving them on for profit. I’m hoping we’re now proactive, and looking at offering new, improved terms to the likes of Glennon, Clifton and Khouri now rather than at the end of the season.

Alternatively, this type of speculation can actually come from the selling club, if they know that player has no intention of staying beyond their current deal, they’d rather cash in. Peterborough have been masters of this for decades now.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 65
pontoonlew
June 10, 2023, 10:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,035
Gold Stars: 176
I think Glennon is class but I would be surprised to see him in the Championship. The biggest difference the higher up the divisions you go for me is the physical attributes of players, they’re all so bloody quick & strong at that level, he’d get eaten alive by some of them.

He’s worth a lot to us though and he’s a very good L2 defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
Stew0_0
June 10, 2023, 11:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
If Glennon does go could Evan Khouri be the answer. Hollow head played him at left back when he was in my opinion too young. Evan's now matured, is sharp in the tackle and is relatively quick. With a bit of positional sense training could be the answer, especially as will be competing with 5 or 6 players for 1 of 2 or 3 spots in centre midfield if he stays central and / or doesn't get loaned out for game time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 65
HertsGTFC
June 10, 2023, 11:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0
If Glennon does go could Evan Khouri be the answer. Hollow head played him at left back when he was in my opinion too young. Evan's now matured, is sharp in the tackle and is relatively quick. With a bit of positional sense training could be the answer, especially as will be competing with 5 or 6 players for 1 of 2 or 3 spots in centre midfield if he stays central and / or doesn't get loaned out for game time?

He’s a midfielder? Keep it simple.

If we need one just bring in a left back, we are no longer in a position to have to play square pegs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
Abdul19
June 10, 2023, 12:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Think it was PH who played Khouri at LB once he'd realised Habergham and Bunney were knackered/shit.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
June 10, 2023, 12:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He’s a midfielder? Keep it simple.

If we need one just bring in a left back, we are no longer in a position to have to play square pegs.

Whilst I agree that playing footballers out of position tends not to work out, in the case of Evan Khouri I'm not sure he's had
enough game time for anyone to be sure what his best position is in a L2 side.

Midfield is a tough ask for a young player - it took Harry more than a season to establish himself - and I'm hoping that PH
is looking to sign a quality midfielder for next season. That would add to the midfield competition that EK already faces.

Abdul has pointed out that Hurst has played EK at left-back (perhaps reluctantly), and El General certainly knows what
the position demands. So I wouldn't be inclined to dismiss this idea out of hand.

(But everything changes if Glennon doesn't depart or Harry does.)

Reply: 59 - 65
chaos33
June 10, 2023, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think Glennon is class but I would be surprised to see him in the Championship. The biggest difference the higher up the divisions you go for me is the physical attributes of players, they’re all so bloody quick & strong at that level, he’d get eaten alive by some of them.

He’s worth a lot to us though and he’s a very good L2 defender.

I agree. I’ve watched about 10 championship games this season (Middlesbrough) and he’s really not shown he’s up to the very high standard I’ve seen. I do think he’s great at our level though and if there’s a second tier club that want him I’d personally hope we absolutely cash-in. If there are a few interested, and we can play them off against each other, much the better.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 65
diehardmariner
June 10, 2023, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Khouri's got a great future in midfield, I'd hate to see us intercourse about by playing him here, there and everywhere.

Big season for him and I can see him keeping established and experienced players out the midfield slots.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 65
Maringer
June 10, 2023, 3:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It doesn't hurt to have a youngster who can fill in elsewhere, so if he is capable of doing a role at full-back, it makes it more likely he'll find a place on the bench. I'm not convinced he's ready to be a regular starter in midfield as yet, so it might be his best chance to get some game time. A lot depends on who else we sign (assuming Clifton stays).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 65
louth_in_the_south
June 10, 2023, 3:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
Glennon is destined for higher levels in the game . He came here to put himself in the shop window. The game at Brighton showed what he was ability wise . He’s not slow , but he’s not lightness fast . Somewhere in the middle but with the talent to progress. I’m no stats based IT freak but know a decent player when he turns up at gtfc . Glennon is one of these and think if he really wants it he could progress from the u23 level via L2 to a decent pro with a good career.
As long as we benefit with a decent ££ profit that’s what we’ve all been saying for years we should do ?!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 65
It Bites
June 10, 2023, 3:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,183
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Glennon is destined for higher levels in the game . He came here to put himself in the shop window. The game at Brighton showed what he was ability wise . He’s not slow , but he’s not lightness fast . Somewhere in the middle but with the talent to progress. I’m no stats based IT freak but know a decent player when he turns up at gtfc . Glennon is one of these and think if he really wants it he could progress from the u23 level via L2 to a decent pro with a good career.
As long as we benefit with a decent ££ profit that’s what we’ve all been saying for years we should do ?!

I'm glad you've seen . He's a classy player with a good future if he gets his move right . Any league one team should have their eye on him .
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 65
Limerick Mariner
June 11, 2023, 10:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

My daughter just back from travelling so we watched the Soton game which she had missed. Glennon could have been MoM. Holohan got it due to the pens, but Glennon was outstanding and looked well above League 2 level in that game. But then oddly he had some indifferent games against v average league 2 wide players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 65
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.