Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 132 Guests

Glennon potentially to depart?

This thread currently has 8,819 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
June 9, 2023, 9:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings
Think Glennon is better than some give him credit for. He didn't look out of place against Brighton and I suspect if teams higher up are looking at him, it will be his potential they are looking at.

His stats will be attracting them and they will see someone they can work with and improve for relatively little money.

Fans don't always see the bigger picture.

Bigger picture is as a defender he is very average
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 9:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ska face

The big picture is we’re a selling club with an asset which is only going to decrease in value from this point on (realistically). If we hadn’t sold McAtee at the same point, we wouldn’t have got £300k or whatever it was for him.

The only need for us to sell will  be to improve the team/infrastructure and because the player will want a chance higher up - We are probably one of the most financially viable clubs in the EFL , as much as our former primary funder copulated the club, the one thing he did do is leave a healthy balance sheet .

So I do agree we are a selling club ,but we don't need to sell , we need to cream one of these daft Champ clubs for as much as we can get - a lower fee maybe  but a loan player of there's with  good quality and a loan back on Glennon would do .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
ginnywings
June 9, 2023, 9:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face

The big picture is we’re a selling club with an asset which is only going to decrease in value from this point on (realistically). If we hadn’t sold McAtee at the same point, we wouldn’t have got £300k or whatever it was for him.

I agree entirely. No problem with cashing in on assets.

My point is that fans aren't always the best judge of a player and his potential.

Many fans were bemused by the sale of Bennett for instance and couldn't see his potential. He ended up playing in the Prem.

Some of those same fans are now praying we sign him again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
ska face
June 9, 2023, 9:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Mappers

The only need for us to sell will  be to improve the team/infrastructure and because the player will want a chance higher up - We are probably one of the most financially viable clubs in the EFL , as much as our former primary funder copulated the club, the one thing he did do is leave a healthy balance sheet .

So I do agree we are a selling club ,but we don't need to sell , we need to cream one of these daft Champ clubs for as much as we can get - a lower fee maybe  but a loan player of there's with  good quality and a loan back on Glennon would do .

We’re a mid-table L2 side, one year out of the conference, who made a 7-figure loss last year. Let’s not go mental.

Think people also need to calm down on the idea of getting a player loaned back everytime we sell one. McAtee was understandable, going from conference to top end of the championship, but it’s not really that common an occurrence.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Maringer
June 9, 2023, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,529
Gold Stars: 185
It's a while back now, but did anybody really think he didn't have potential? I thought he could become a good Championship player but he did manage a couple of seasons as a Premier League player.

Other than a handful of 'Rob Atkinson is better' folk, I don't remember Bennett being talked down too much.

(For what it's worth, I didn't think Rob Atkinson was better than Bennett, but I did think he was better than he turned out to be!)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
LocalLadGTFC
June 9, 2023, 10:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree entirely. No problem with cashing in on assets.

My point is that fans aren't always the best judge of a player and his potential.

Many fans were bemused by the sale of Bennett for instance and couldn't see his potential. He ended up playing in the Prem.

Some of those same fans are now praying we sign him again.

I don’t know many that couldn’t see Bennett’s potential, was involved with England U18’s played 100 games by 20 years old and was our club captain at 18. Glennon is 23 and is no way near the level Ryan was at. The more comparable player is probably Mattie Pollock
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 65
Mikey_345
June 9, 2023, 10:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
As I’ve already said, I hope this isn’t true - I’m a massive fan of Glennon. Peter O’Rourke is always on the money though, so we can be sure this isn’t just gossip. However how serious that interest is might be another matter - is he a first choice or a long way down their lists.

Regardless, this now has to be our model and I think we need to be prepared for these sorts of things as we try to progress the project.

Identify and bring in younger talent that’s maybe not had the chance, develop them here, move them on for a profit. With signing young exciting players instead of 34 year old journeymen (under fenty) comes the threat of losing those players.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
Mappers
June 9, 2023, 10:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ska face

We’re a mid-table L2 side, one year out of the conference, who made a 7-figure loss last year. Let’s not go mental.

Think people also need to calm down on the idea of getting a player loaned back everytime we sell one. McAtee was understandable, going from conference to top end of the championship, but it’s not really that common an occurrence.

It's not that mental , maybe the loan idea is as it would take up a spot (i think you are only allowed 5 )

The 7 figure loss has mainly gone on infrastructure and backroom staff + a level of budget to actually compete .

I get what your saying walk before we run , but when we get to league 1 we will need to be looking at developing players to sell for high 6 figure or 7 figure amounts to stay competitive rather than this chicken feed in league 2 .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
Stew0_0
June 9, 2023, 11:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,200
Gold Stars: 35
Glennon has a wand of a left foot, excellent delivery and looks good going forward and from set plays. However some defensive short comings, mainly down to a seemingly lack of pace makes me doubt he could be a championship level defender.

If we could get a significant fee for this division for him at this level we would be foolhardy to not accept it, especially as I trust Hurst and the scouting team to have irons in the fire to cover all eventualities, especially considering the three to join this week.

Ideally though I hope there's no significant bid and Glenno stays and helps us get promoted with a year extension added to boot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
CSLM
June 9, 2023, 11:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Stew0_0
Glennon has a wand of a left foot, excellent delivery and looks good going forward and from set plays. However some defensive short comings, mainly down to a seemingly lack of pace makes me doubt he could be a championship level defender.

If we could get a significant fee for this division for him at this level we would be foolhardy to not accept it, especially as I trust Hurst and the scouting team to have irons in the fire to cover all eventualities, especially considering the three to join this week.

Ideally though I hope there's no significant bid and Glenno stays and helps us get promoted with a year extension added to boot.

Agreed.
Surely playing him further forward would make the most sense?
When he had decent support down the left he looked very dangerous.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Glennon potentially to depart?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.