8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
May 15, 2023, 8:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Personally I think these are brilliant developments particularly at our level.

Will it make a material difference, I would hope so, as like many contributors to this thread my personal experience of using big data and analytics is favourable, but even if it didn't I would still applaud the effort in trying this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 15, 2023, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 137
Rasmus Ankersen (credited with initiating data-led analysis in the Guardian link forza ivano provides) is the CEO of Sports Republic
who are the major shareholder in Southampton FC, and he is the Director of Football at the club (since January 2022).

Southampton have just been relegated after 11 years in the top flight, to compound a miserable season in which they were knocked
out of the FA Cup by a mid-table League 2 side.

The club has spent 160M on players their data showed could be developed and sold on for profit. Nearly all those players signed have
failed to break into a poor side which has been facing relegation all season, in no small part due to the club clearing out older, more
experienced players to make room for the incoming stars of the future. The future stars had no-one to learn from to assist their
development.

Southampton identified Nathan Jones (the previous year's EFL Championship Manager of the Season) as the ideal successor to
Ralph Hasenhuttl. Appointed in November 2022 he lasted four months (shortest ever non-caretaker manager the Saints have had).
Selecting a manager with Premiership survival credentials would have been smarter than one who'd shone in the league below,
given the situation they were in.

My point is that data-led analysis (which is an entirely sensible way to proceed, of course) does not prevent poor decision-making.
It should not be viewed as the solution to all our footballing problems!

Consider this: on-field leadership is a desirable footballing attribute.
How would you collect objective data on that?
Yes, you can say player X was captain of team Y when they gained promotion, and give him a tick for that.
But no comparative data is available - player Z might have been an even better captain but didn't get the chance to show it.
If you're trusting the manager to pick the best captain then we're back to "it's all a matter of opinion", which is what data-led
analysis is an attempt to improve upon. And of course on-field leadership isn't restricted to the captain.

I believe football is too ineffably complex to be reduced to data, and provided everyone recognizes that fact then data-led analysis
will be a valuable tool in our success.
The danger is placing too much faith in it.
Ask Southampton fans...

UTM

Good post on the back of another good post from Forza

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 75
HertsGTFC
May 15, 2023, 8:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from buckstown
I hope this guy looks at the on line club shop. I'm trying to spend money on FA Cup t-shirts for my grandsons birthday. Every time I click on the link it takes me to a blank page.
I always start by assuming it's my fault cos I'm an old technophobe but the bottom line is it's very badly designed and I've had to give up and buy Man Utd stuff and that really winds me up

I would doubt he'd be involved at that level to be honest. This appointment feels similar to a non exec role like what you see in the commercial or charity sectors. This works really well in terms of defining strategy based upon experience and an understanding of the sector that organisation operated in. I would doubt we'll see him on match days and wouldn't be surprised if the time he spends on GTFC would be quantified on days per month rather than weeks based and like most non exec's paid on a day rate.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 75
bedders78
May 15, 2023, 10:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Lord Gadiform
There were two parts to the announcements on Friday. The data stuff then an experienced senior guy on the football side. The owners have always said the football side was solely down to El General. Surprised that hasn’t been commented on more.

He's in a completely different sphere to Hurst. The new lad will probably dial in for monthly strategy meetings with S,P&C to offer experience and best practice from other clubs.  He'll be able to inject our name in to conversations well beyond our current reach and generally raise our profile.

As to what he is getting out of it, a chance to work on an interesting project with our well respected chairman which doesn't conflict with his other roles and if we gain a couple of promotions; another write up saying how successful he is.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 75
grimps
May 15, 2023, 10:28am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01
Personally, I don’t see this as being a completely football decision, I think it’s about using data and embedding modern concepts into the whole club, merchandise, advertising, playing, attendances and so on…

Yeah I can’t see much of this will be playing data .

Like if they’re saying that a ball put into X area of the 18 yard box results in a 50% goal ration I’d expect the players and mangers to already know this info
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 75
moosey_club
May 15, 2023, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimps

Yeah I can’t see much of this will be playing data .

Like if they’re saying that a ball put into X area of the 18 yard box results in a 50% goal ration I’d expect the players and mangers to already know this info

Our goal difference suggests they might not....get yourself down to BP with a 3/4 length puffer jacket and an a4 flip folder full of diagrams and arrows highlighting your new strategy ..you might get yourself a consultancy 🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Twenty First Group

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.