Private Message
prestonmariner
May 5, 2023, 7:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
248 League Two games is quite remarkable, especially considering the Saturday 3pm 'blackout' will be continuing.
Can only imagine this will cause a fair amount of fixtures to be move to Friday's, early and late Saturdays?

Also, i hate to be a sceptic, but are we assuming that this will mean a minimum of 46 Wrexham and the rest for the other 23?

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 74
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 7:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,375
Gold Stars: 119
More money for clubs = clubs just spend more do they not ?

We saw what can happen with ITV digital , doubtful it will ever happen with sky though;  but can't see how the clubs are ever going to reach 'sustainable ' level .

And we know know some clubs without a fallback will go s*it or bust with it +more and end up in a mess .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 74
LH
May 5, 2023, 7:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,544
Gold Stars: 173
All midweeks, BH, the final game and adjusted KO times live on Sky then as it equates to 20 matchdays roughly. IFollow pretty much finished.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 5, 2023, 7:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,885
Gold Stars: 178
If the money is starting to trickle down from the billionaires then that’s good, but, is it enough? I hope the pot is evenly spread and just doesn’t focus on the likes of Wrexham, Salford and whichever club becomes the ‘de rigueur’ team of the moment. *

* am I going mad or was there a clothes shop called de rigueur in Grimsby years ago 🤷🏻‍♂️

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 74
Spurn boy
May 5, 2023, 7:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 30
I have a feeling that Wrexham (USA) of League 2 will become the Man Utd of the premier league as far as TV coverage is concerned, am I jealous no not in the slightest. We are Town UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 74
Poojah
May 5, 2023, 7:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,504
Quoted from Mappers
More money for clubs = clubs just spend more do they not ?

We saw what can happen with ITV digital , doubtful it will ever happen with sky though;  but can't see how the clubs are ever going to reach 'sustainable ' level .

And we know know some clubs without a fallback will go s*it or bust with it +more and end up in a mess .

Realistically, yes. It just inflates financial expectations down the pyramid and merely exacerbates the kinds of problems we’ve seen lower league clubs suffer in recent years.

As good as this deal looks on paper, the reality is that a flattening out of club revenues thanks to a hefty TV deal accounting for the bulk of club incomes really plays in to the hands of bank rolled clubs as gate money becomes less relevant. The same reason that Bournemouth have been able to faulty consistently survive as a Premier League club ahead of tens of better supported clubs.

Good news on the surface, but probably better news in reality for the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green and Salford than it is for this level’s more traditional clubs.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 74
Meza
May 5, 2023, 7:45pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,642
Gold Stars: 50
This was voted by the clubs btw.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 74
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2023, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,015
Gold Stars: 190
Good Friday, Easter Monday, Boxing Day, New Years Day, first and last games is 72 of the 248 games to be shown. The original fixture list released last June had us playing 4 midweek games so that's another 48. 120 of the 248 games are already factored in which means an average of 3.5 games each week televised outside of that.

Do clubs get paid for their games being chosen? If so, I have an even bigger problem with the likely selection of Wrexham and Salford more often than not. Hopefully the selection of TV games is fair but it certainly starts to kick iFollow and it's alternatives into the long grass.

Clubs have unanimously approved the deal which is an increase but were they made aware of what others such as DAZN bid or just presented this offer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 74
MarinerDevil
May 5, 2023, 9:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,782
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted Text
    Will matches still be available to watch via iFollow, or Clubs’ alternative streaming services?

From the 2024/25 season onward, this new deal with Sky Sports will effectively replace the EFL’s domestic video streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services

Audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences.

The EFL is effectively abandoning streaming in favour of traditional broadcasting for the time being then. This is probably a good thing in the short term but we'll have to figure out a way to embrace streaming at some point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 74
toontown
May 5, 2023, 9:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,281
Gold Stars: 70
Doesn't it mean you just have to use the international streaming and a VPN in order to stream?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
BenBB
May 5, 2023, 10:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Quoted Text
Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.  

Quoted Text

The EFL and Sky Sports will continue to work together to innovate, seeking opportunities to improve coverage and take viewers closer to the action, while the EFL will be investing significantly in production infrastructure to enhance the viewing experience. Sky Sports will have a minimum of eight cameras for each game broadcast on existing channels. For matches available to stream, Sky commentary will be provided and a minimum of four cameras will be used at Championship and League One matches, and a minimum of two cameras in League Two.

Bit confusing. Wonder how this affects MarinersTV.

I think this means that selected games by Sky Sports will be produced by Sky with more than 2 or more cameras and Sky commentary (e.g. weekday games). Likely exclusive to Sky's own service.

I'm guessing 'VPN' (international) MarinersTV (iFollow) games on a 3pm Saturday kick-off will be the same situation of Humberside Commentary overlaid over the single camera footage we've had this season. Or will they re-use the camera set-up/feed for the Saturday games too? And what happens for games where Sky select it and it's also on MarinersTV on a weekday (or will that not happen?)

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 74
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2023, 10:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BenBB

Bit confusing. Wonder how this affects MarinersTV.

I think this means that selected games by Sky Sports will be produced by Sky with more than 2 or more cameras and Sky commentary (e.g. weekday games).

I'm guessing 'VPN' MarinersTV (iFollow) games on a 3pm Saturday kick-off will be the same situation of Humberside Commentary overlaid over the single camera footage we've had this season.

My thoughts are that it devalues MarinersTV somewhat as any game shown live by Sky probably can't be streamed on MarinersTV. I imagine MarinersTV will be a one camera output still because the resource required to optimally broadcast from two cameras will be unviable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
BenBB
May 5, 2023, 10:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

My thoughts are that it devalues MarinersTV somewhat as any game shown live by Sky probably can't be streamed on MarinersTV. I imagine MarinersTV will be a one camera output still because the resource required to optimally broadcast from two cameras will be unviable.

The sentence "Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services." is rather ambiguous.

Will wait to see what the club say.

Was happy with my online season pass this season which gave you all the league games & the pizza trophy for a very reasonable fee.

Logged Offline
Reply: 13 - 74
BenBB
May 5, 2023, 11:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
[tweet]1652628865930629120[/tweet]

Think this Luton tweet seems to clarify it somewhat.

If you live in the UK then you can only watch on Sky Sports if it's chosen, or if a local broadcaster is broadcasting it to your country then you can only watch it there.

Otherwise it's available on iFollow internationally/VPN.

Question is what the iFollow coverage will be. Is it iFollow as-is right now (1 camera with Humberside) or the Sky coverage rebroadcast?

Logged Offline
Reply: 14 - 74
Norseman
May 6, 2023, 12:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +287
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from prestonmariner
248 League Two games is quite remarkable, especially considering the Saturday 3pm 'blackout' will be continuing.
Can only imagine this will cause a fair amount of fixtures to be move to Friday's, early and late Saturdays?

Also, i hate to be a sceptic, but are we assuming that this will mean a minimum of 46 Wrexham and the rest for the other 23?

Salford will get the rest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 6, 2023, 1:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
So each club should be on 20ish times a season.
248 games, 24 clubs, 10 games each, but each game has two teams, so that is doubled to 20  nearly half a season

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
Mappers
May 6, 2023, 6:49am
Champagne Drinker
Hopefully the knock on effect is not diluted attendances ,especially for midweek games , because lets face it this will effectively make every game free if one chooses with streaming . You can argue it is now with Ifollow but that's a less mainstream option so not always easy to locate .

With mainstream TV the free streams per game option will be limitless , so if it is 20 games per team that's 20 free games which is great for armchair fans , but the key will be how many 'in the ground fans ' this takes away , whether the financial reward compensates for this and if it effects matchday atmosphere.

You would hope people on the whole still want to attend for the 'at game' experience ,but if as it looks kick off times are faffed around with it might mean more are unable to attend because of other commitments .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
Mappers
May 6, 2023, 7:06am
Champagne Drinker
Does anyone know how much we get from sky currently ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
coddy60
May 6, 2023, 7:08am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
If the money is starting to trickle down from the billionaires then that’s good, but, is it enough? I hope the pot is evenly spread and just doesn’t focus on the likes of Wrexham, Salford and whichever club becomes the ‘de rigueur’ team of the moment. *

* am I going mad or was there a clothes shop called de rigueur in Grimsby years ago 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, de rigueur was Miffys shop, near town Hall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
ska face
May 6, 2023, 7:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,723
Gold Stars: 851
We certainly picked a good time to get promoted back to the EFL. Imagine if we were still down there now, with our parachute payments ending this season, and now the league clubs pulling further away.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
May 6, 2023, 8:51am
Guest User
So does this mean we have to subscribe to Sky Sports to watch these games?
Reply: 21 - 74
SteffiMariner
May 6, 2023, 9:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Well, you could always turn to pirate sites...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
May 6, 2023, 9:18am
Guest User
Quoted from SteffiMariner
Well, you could always turn to pirate sites...

I'd rather not do that, I have watched every match this season on Mariners TV, will that still be an option once Sky start broadcasting EFL games?

Reply: 23 - 74
HerveJosse
May 6, 2023, 9:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 144
Terrible deal only 25% increase on previous deal for League 1 and 2 clubs which when considering runs through to 2029 won’t even cover inflation since last deal started for which Sky get 10 times more league 2 games and disruption that brings to kick off times etc.45% of League 2 games will be televised .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
Mappers
May 6, 2023, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Terrible deal only 25% increase on previous deal for League 1 and 2 clubs which when considering runs through to 2029 won’t even cover inflation since last deal started for which Sky get 10 times more league 2 games and disruption that brings to kick off times etc.45% of League 2 games will be televised .

It does not not sound great does it its something like 125k extra per season I think ? They have painted the narative that it's some sort of amazing deal but does not sound it ; but then clubs voted for it so who knows .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
lukeo
May 6, 2023, 10:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
I've never paid for sky and never will. I pay a marinerstv subscription but use a proxy app on my TV, PC and phone so this doesn't effect me.
I do have a couple of spare logins going for cheap if anyone is interested (I accept I'll be getting plenty of red Xs but times are hard and for £40 for 12 months it helps massively financially instead of £50+ a month for sky TV etc)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 74
stevethefish
May 6, 2023, 11:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +777
Gold Stars: 85
Not happy at all. Was looking forward to watching every game live on streaming and paying a good price (aka matchday prices) to do so.
Missed opportunity to grow the market without affecting match day attendances.
5 years is a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 6, 2023, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
I've never paid for sky and never will. I pay a marinerstv subscription but use a proxy app on my TV, PC and phone so this doesn't effect me.
I do have a couple of spare logins going for cheap if anyone is interested (I accept I'll be getting plenty of red Xs but times are hard and for £40 for 12 months it helps massively financially instead of £50+ a month for sky TV etc)

What’s your reason for not paying for sky? I understand the financial impact but, is there another reason? Who’s your internet with? Do you disagree having to pay for that? And, isn’t it slightly hypocritical that you are trying to resell ‘your’ log in and therefore depriving the club of money from potential subscribers?

I work for a subsidiary of sky and, for me at least, I don’t mind paying for the service (albeit through Virgin). I get to watch programmes when/where I want. Plus, my kids and mrs can watch what they want to.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
Mappers
May 6, 2023, 7:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

What’s your reason for not paying for sky? I understand the financial impact but, is there another reason? Who’s your internet with? Do you disagree having to pay for that? And, isn’t it slightly hypocritical that you are trying to resell ‘your’ log in and therefore depriving the club of money from potential subscribers?

I work for a subsidiary of sky and, for me at least, I don’t mind paying for the service (albeit through Virgin). I get to watch programmes when/where I want. Plus, my kids and mrs can watch what they want to.

It's not really an issue is it if you want/can pay for it then it's there and you get relatively add free and gauranteed glitch free coverage .

If you choose not to then it's free but the trade off is possible lag , glitches and frustration from time to time .

Just personal choice much like in the 90's with 'chipped' games you sometimes got a dodgy one but for the volume you could get you would take it . Did buy ISS soccer un chipped though as that was my regular .

I do get your first paragraph seems a contradiction ,you would have thought he would be giving it out for free -all Town are we not ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
lukeo
May 6, 2023, 7:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
The Mrs doesn't watch TV and I'm not that arsed, if I didn't have the app I wouldn't watch it. Millions do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 6, 2023, 7:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
The Mrs doesn't watch TV and I'm not that arsed, if I didn't have the app I wouldn't watch it. Millions do it.

Am not saying that ‘millions’ don’t do it. What am saying is I don’t get the reasoning behind what you were saying. It all seemed rather contradictory. I bit like saying there’s a woman round the corner that does home teaching. It’s not as good but you don’t have to pay for school uniform so you save yourself a few quid, but I’ll tell you what, if you want to go there, you can borrow the kids clothes for a few quid

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 74
lukeo
May 6, 2023, 8:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Maybe I explained it poorly. My apologise. utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 74
moosey_club
May 6, 2023, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from coddy60

I thought De Rigueur was Holmesy's initial shop in the High Street, Cleethorpes before he switched over to Milan ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 74
GrimRob
May 6, 2023, 8:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,431
Gold Stars: 113
It's going to make it harder for fans to watch games with lots of lunchtime kickoffs. As usual little thought has been given to the paying spectator. Away crowds are likely to drop and season ticket holders facing long journeys will have to make a decision. Likely to have an impact on games at BP. 8 camera angles will be much better than what we can now watch online. But without an atmosphere the games are not as enjoyable. Much better at BP with a big vocal away following.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 34 - 74
Mappers
May 6, 2023, 8:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
It's going to make it harder for fans to watch games with lots of lunchtime kickoffs. As usual little thought has been given to the paying spectator. Away crowds are likely to drop and season ticket holders facing long journeys will have to make a decision. Likely to have an impact on games at BP. 8 camera angles will be much better than what we can now watch online. But without an atmosphere the games are not as enjoyable. Much better at BP with a big vocal away following.

It does worry me that we are moving towards a more and more digital world with little thought for in person entertainment  in general - ironically our custodian was ahead of our time in that field so it might be something that if he has input can be beneficial to us .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 74
supertown
May 6, 2023, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,460
Gold Stars: 53
I’ve got both , I pay for sky and I’ve got a dodgy firestick  purely for BT Sport games because their add on is a rip off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 6, 2023, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from coddy60

Thought so, next to a knitting shop at the entrance to top town market.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 74
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 6, 2023, 8:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Absolutely nothing could replace watching football live, in the flesh.

You can’t understand football through a TV.

It’s even better at our level because you’re even closer to the action.

The thrill of a new ground. That parking ticket. Watching the players instead of what the camera is showing you. The sounds. The smells. The threat of violence - both externally and internally. Sue from Bradford - our bodies intertwined like Bradford and Mansfield’s play-off hopes. Those Man Utd ‘fans’ at Salford who called Hunt a c*nt just as he swung a corner kick against the crossbar for Richardson to gobble up the rebound. Richo’s butt cheek vs Burton - the sound of Callaway on Titleist. Wearne channelling his inner Fury vs Odoh. Sly ear cuppage. Kieran Green in faux human form - a slight gash on his arm revealing wires, PCBs and the carburettor from a Massey-Ferguson. Horse shït on Stone Island. Train strikes. Splashback on poorly calibrated urinals. Embarrassing chino stains. Wave to JT. Has Crofty got a semi? Who’s got the Deep Heat. Waterfall’s jaw line. Clifton throwing out the megs, crazy penalty claims and Liam Emmerson jumping the shark.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 74
Heisenberg
May 6, 2023, 9:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Absolutely nothing could replace watching football live, in the flesh.

You can’t understand football through a TV.

It’s even better at our level because you’re even closer to the action.

The thrill of a new ground. That parking ticket. Watching the players instead of what the camera is showing you. The sounds. The smells. The threat of violence - both externally and internally. Sue from Bradford - our bodies intertwined like Bradford and Mansfield’s play-off hopes. Those Man Utd ‘fans’ at Salford who called Hunt a c*nt just as he swung a corner kick against the crossbar for Richardson to gobble up the rebound. Richo’s butt cheek vs Burton - the sound of Callaway on Titleist. Wearne channelling his inner Fury vs Odoh. Sly ear cuppage. Kieran Green in faux human form - a slight gash on his arm revealing wires, PCBs and the carburettor from a Massey-Ferguson. Horse shït on Stone Island. Train strikes. Splashback on poorly calibrated urinals. Embarrassing chino stains. Wave to JT. Has Crofty got a semi? Who’s got the Deep Heat. Waterfall’s jaw line. Clifton throwing out the megs, crazy penalty claims and Liam Emmerson jumping the shark.

Wait a minute - DID Crofty have a semi?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 74
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 6, 2023, 9:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Heisenberg

Wait a minute - DID Crofty have a semi?!

Double fronted

It’s on Crofty’s Facebook page. Tried to tag him but he beat me to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
Yarborough Vaults
May 6, 2023, 10:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from GrimRob

If we want to be glass half full, it may make the new STHs who don't show up, not buy them for next season and watch from home instead. Those seats are then bought by fans who want to be there, creating a better atmosphere for the team to feed off.

This could actually solve the current empty STH seat issue as we continue to suffer paralysis over a new ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2023, 10:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,983
Gold Stars: 228
[b][/b]
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

If we want to be glass half full, it may make the new STHs who don't show up, not buy them for next season and watch from home instead. Those seats are then bought by fans who want to be there, creating a better atmosphere for the team to feed off.

This could actually solve the current empty STH seat issue as we continue to suffer paralysis over a new ground

When will you understand we can’t afford a new ground?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2023, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
As I assume that as you get more money for the more times you’re on TV this feels like it makes an even bigger division within a division.

It would sit better with me if the revenue was split evenly but I guess it never works that way.

All I know is Wrexham will be the first game shown on the opening day.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 74
jamesgtfc
May 6, 2023, 10:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
As I assume that as you get more money for the more times you’re on TV this feels like it makes an even bigger division within a division.

It would sit better with me if the revenue was split evenly but I guess it never works that way.

All I know is Wrexham will be the first game shown on the opening day.

All teams are shown on the opening and final day. You would imagine one game (Wrexham) will be on TV with the others behind the red button or online. The TV game will probably get more money than those behind the red button or online.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
pontoonlew
May 6, 2023, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,077
Not really sure how excited I can get over this, the extra money is great but every club in the league gets exactly the same benefit. As a result it’s only likely to inflate wages/transfer fees once again for everybody, and now it’s more difficult to get to a few more games instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2023, 11:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

All teams are shown on the opening and final day. You would imagine one game (Wrexham) will be on TV with the others behind the red button or online. The TV game will probably get more money than those behind the red button or online.

Sounds like that’s going to be the way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
Yarborough Vaults
May 7, 2023, 8:15am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[b][/b]

When will you understand we can’t afford a new ground?

Actually, we can't afford not to have one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
Mappers
May 7, 2023, 8:25am
Champagne Drinker

You could argue the more and more % income that gets taken away from Matchday revenue could push the possibility of a new ground away further than ever , it seems like it will go that way and attendances will become more and more irrelevant .

This is until 2028 ,how long until every game is streamed even 3pm kick offs  ? i don't think it's beyond the realms that it could be once this deal finishes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
Yarborough Vaults
May 7, 2023, 9:07am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

You could argue the more and more % income that gets taken away from Matchday revenue could push the possibility of a new ground away further than ever , it seems like it will go that way and attendances will become more and more irrelevant .

This is until 2028 ,how long until every game is streamed even 3pm kick offs  ? i don't think it's beyond the realms that it could be once this deal finishes

It's a good point. The TV deal is great for exiles though, and there will always be excuses why a new ground is impossible.

Attendances are already financially irrelevant at Premier League clubs but vital to the experience of those watching at home. Maybe TV cash could lead to ticket price cuts to make sure seats are filled for the cameras.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
HerveJosse
May 7, 2023, 9:17am
Champagne Drinker
It’s not more revenue for League 2 clubs barely covers inflation over the time periods of the the previous deal to the new deal period 2024-2029. Think beyond the press release.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
Mappers
May 7, 2023, 9:21am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
It’s not more revenue for League 2 clubs barely covers inflation over the time periods of the the previous deal to the new deal period 2024-2029. Think beyond the press release.

That's what I think in terms of this deal , it seems like the trade off of income gained versus income lost will be detrimental to clubs lower down , but then why did they vote it through ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
HertsGTFC
May 7, 2023, 9:28am

Barley Wine Drinker

Actually, we can't afford not to have one

Long term nobody disagrees with you but at the moment due to cost it can’t be the priority some believe it should be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
jamesgtfc
May 7, 2023, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker

It's a good point. The TV deal is great for exiles though, and there will always be excuses why a new ground is impossible.

Attendances are already financially irrelevant at Premier League clubs but vital to the experience of those watching at home. Maybe TV cash could lead to ticket price cuts to make sure seats are filled for the cameras.

Funding isn't an excuse, it's a very valid reason. That ship has long sailed and blame isn't at the door of 1878 for that.

I'm yet to see a viable solution to funding a stadium, so we have to make do with what we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
moosey_club
May 7, 2023, 9:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Long term nobody disagrees with you but at the moment due to cost it can’t be the priority some believe it should be.

I know ours would be totally different proposal but read the other day that Everton are seeking an extra £250 Million funding just to FINISH off their new stadium !!!

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
HertsGTFC
May 7, 2023, 9:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

I know ours would be totally different proposal but read the other day that Everton are seeking an extra £250 Million funding just to FINISH off their new stadium !!!

Wow, I’m sure it’s harder to get that kind of money when you’re a championship club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
moosey_club
May 7, 2023, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Wow, I’m sure it’s harder to get that kind of money when you’re a championship club.

I imagine the main contractors forgot to add in a scally contingency for missing materials when originally tendering. 😆

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
Yarborough Vaults
May 7, 2023, 10:08am
Beer Drinker
If only we could bring Goodison Park over on a couple of pallet trucks once they've got the new one done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
HerveJosse
May 7, 2023, 10:17am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

That's what I think in terms of this deal , it seems like the trade off of income gained versus income lost will be detrimental to clubs lower down , but then why did they vote it through ?

Championship clubs have a veto on all EFLVoting matters they are getting a bigger percentage increase then a league 1  and 2 . I imagine the conversation went something like nobody wants to watch League 2 football unless they support the club so be grateful for what you get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 10:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HerveJosse

Championship clubs have a veto on all EFLVoting matters they are getting a bigger percentage increase then a league 1  and 2 . I imagine the conversation went something like nobody wants to watch League 2 football unless they support the club so be grateful for what you get.

But they’re not wrong really are they? Aside from fat yanks in Arkansas and a few not real football fans that saw a documentary about Salford, nobody does want to watch league 2 football.

You kgint pick the odd football nerd but but in truth, the championship clubs aren’t wrong.

Someone mentioned about cheaper ticket prices to fill grounds…nice idea but won’t happen. Premier attendances are some of the most consistent in Europe and are full every week so no worry there, although in Spain they do have to fill the stands visible to the camera.

I know it’s cool for lower league fans to hate the premier league etc but whatever anyones opinion, they’ve built a huge brand that sees sellouts even for non entity games…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
Chrisblor
May 7, 2023, 12:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,895
Gold Stars: 238
If nobody wants to watch lower league football why have BT Sport been televising National League football for the last 10 years? Sorry but I don't buy the argument that nobody would bother watching it - it's clearly viable otherwise BT wouldn't be sending a presenter, two pundits, commentators and multiple camera operators off to Woking / Chesterfield / Solihull etc practically every week.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
Mappers
May 7, 2023, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

But they’re not wrong really are they? Aside from fat yanks in Arkansas and a few not real football fans that saw a documentary about Salford, nobody does want to watch league 2 football.

You kgint pick the odd football nerd but but in truth, the championship clubs aren’t wrong.

Someone mentioned about cheaper ticket prices to fill grounds…nice idea but won’t happen. Premier attendances are some of the most consistent in Europe and are full every week so no worry there, although in Spain they do have to fill the stands visible to the camera.

I know it’s cool for lower league fans to hate the premier league etc but whatever anyones opinion, they’ve built a huge brand that sees sellouts even for non entity games…

I must be a nerd then ,i have preferred lower league and non league for about 10 years - been to a good few Premiership games as a neutral and it just does not do it for me .

I honestly had a better time at Weymouth than i than I have had at any of those souless glory seeking places , i just enjoy that it's more real i think .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
Yarborough Vaults
May 7, 2023, 1:05pm
Beer Drinker
Wouldn't discount viewing figures from Asia either because of gambling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
HerveJosse
May 7, 2023, 1:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
If nobody wants to watch lower league football why have BT Sport been televising National League football for the last 10 years? Sorry but I don't buy the argument that nobody would bother watching it - it's clearly viable otherwise BT wouldn't be sending a presenter, two pundits, commentators and multiple camera operators off to Woking / Chesterfield / Solihull etc practically every week.

Because they get the whole package including fees to clubs for games covered for peanuts less then. £0.5m a season compared to the £900m to be paid  by Sky for EFL. Presumambly because that is all it’s worth.
With BT sports now owned by WarnerBrothers/ Duscovery would be suprised if they continue coverage when the current deal expires . The National League is putting together it’s own streaming platform which is where all football will end up eventually
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 2:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

It’s costs them mere pennies to buy the rights to conference football. They just use it as a marketing platform, didn’t we work out the GTFC essentially lost money by having a game moved last year? You get about £6.50 and some bottles of pop to be on the telly if you’re down there.

The cost is showing conference football is no doubt completely offset against the cash made from their investment in exclusive champions league rights alone…

No doubt people enjoy lower league football and I watch as much of that as anything else but let’s not kid ourselves that TV people see big numbers…I’d be interested to see the viewing figures for our playoff final, probably similar to our semi final I’d imagine but even with yanks and random bods in the far east betting on it, I can’t imagine it was 6 figures, if it was I’d be amazed if it’s anymore than 300k…

It’s great that lower league does get shown on TV but the money that cascades down isn’t millions and unlike the top two divisions that can make big use of tv money, I don’t think it’ll be adding too much to our kitty…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
pen penfras
May 7, 2023, 7:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

It’s costs them mere pennies to buy the rights to conference football. They just use it as a marketing platform, didn’t we work out the GTFC essentially lost money by having a game moved last year? You get about £6.50 and some bottles of pop to be on the telly if you’re down there.

The cost is showing conference football is no doubt completely offset against the cash made from their investment in exclusive champions league rights alone…

No doubt people enjoy lower league football and I watch as much of that as anything else but let’s not kid ourselves that TV people see big numbers…I’d be interested to see the viewing figures for our playoff final, probably similar to our semi final I’d imagine but even with yanks and random bods in the far east betting on it, I can’t imagine it was 6 figures, if it was I’d be amazed if it’s anymore than 300k…

It’s great that lower league does get shown on TV but the money that cascades down isn’t millions and unlike the top two divisions that can make big use of tv money, I don’t think it’ll be adding too much to our kitty…

300k is 6 figures. But I'd be amazed if it was even that high without Wrexham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

300k is 6 figures. But I'd be amazed if it was even that high without Wrexham

Exactly. That’s kinda my point, even with the media machine behind Reynolds FC you’d be hard pushed to hit 300k.

We all love our clubs and we all love lower league football but we need to take off the rose tinted goggles when looking at stuff like this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
The Yard Dog
May 7, 2023, 9:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GrimRob

How many big vocal away followings do we get? not many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 8, 2023, 5:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

How many big vocal away followings do we get? not many.

Stockport, Bradford and Hartlepool are the ones that come to mind this season. The others I thought may have had decent followings , Donny and Swindon, I can’t remember so couldn’t have been that good

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
Heisenberg
May 8, 2023, 8:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Stockport, Bradford and Hartlepool are the ones that come to mind this season. The others I thought may have had decent followings , Donny and Swindon, I can’t remember so couldn’t have been that good

Donny sold out, but Swindon nowhere near.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
GollyGTFC
May 9, 2023, 2:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,034
Gold Stars: 357
Here’s a theoretical League 2 calendar for 2024/25 season and how many live games might be on Sky for each round…

Sat 3 Aug - 12
Sat 10 Aug - 1+
Sat 17 Aug - 1+
Tue 20 Aug - 12
Sat 24 Aug - 1+
Sat 31 Aug - 1+
Sat 7 Sep - 12 (International)
Sat 14 Sep - 1+
Tue 17 Sep - 12
Sat 21 Sep - 1+
Sat 28 Sep - 1+
Sat 5 Oct - 1+
Sat 12 Oct - 12 (International)
Sat 19 Oct - 1+
Tue 22 Oct - 12
Sat 26 Oct - 1+
Sat 2 Nov - 1+
Sat 16 Nov - 12 (International)
Sat 23 Nov - 1+
Sat 7 Dec - 1+
Sat 14 Dec - 1+
Sat 21 Dec - 1+
Thu 26 Dec - 12
Sun 29 Dec - 12
Wed 1 Jan - 12
Sat 4 Jan - 3+ (FAC 3)
Sat 11 Jan - 1+
Sat 18 Jan - 1+
Sat 25 Jan - 3+ (FAC 4)
Sat 1 Feb - 1+
Sat 8 Feb - 1+
Tue 11 Feb - 12
Sat 15 Feb - 1+
Sat 22 Feb - 1+
Sat 1 Mar - 1+
Sat 8 Mar - 1+
Sat 15 Mar - 2+ (FAC QF)
Tue 18 Mar - 12
Sat 22 Mar - 1+
Sat 29 Mar - 12 (International)
Sat 5 Apr - 1+
Sat 12 Apr - 2+ (FAC SF)
Fri 18 Apr - 12
Mon 21 Apr - 12
Sat 26 Apr - 1+
Sat 3 May - 12
Play-offs - 5

This adds up to at least 233 games (including the 5 play-off matches).

So only 15 or 20 (if you count the play-off games in the 24 off the quoted minimum live games from League 2. And most of them could come from Saturday 3PM games that are postponed and rearranged for midweek slots.

EFL fans need to get used to 12:30 kick-offs. We’re all going to be getting 3 or 4 of them a season. And even more if you’re in the Championship.

And then you don’t know how the games will be spread on international weekends. You would expect Sky will want games Saturday & Sunday at 12:30 & 15:00 with the international matches generally having a kick-off time of either 17:00 or 19:45.

You can’t help but wonder whether it would make more sense to just scrap the 14:45-17:15 blackout to avoid all the 12:30 kick-offs and just show all 552 matches in all 3 divisions.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 70 - 74
GollyGTFC
May 9, 2023, 2:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,034
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Spurn boy
I have a feeling that Wrexham (USA) of League 2 will become the Man Utd of the premier league as far as TV coverage is concerned, am I jealous no not in the slightest. We are Town UTM

Saturday 12:30 kick-off times will be no use to them. That’s 4:30AM in LA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 74
OddShapedBalls
May 9, 2023, 4:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
I think the clubs wanted/voted for this deal for a few reasons - £125k extra a year is probably more than ifollow brings in currently, plus it's guaranteed you don't have to hope x amount of fans will buy a pass to watch certain games. You can make plans with guaranteed income.

The bigger picture is the amount of games on tv - my brother is one of these digital media guru's and he tried to explain it to me in an idiot-friendly manner as : 'most companies see value for their money in the amount of seconds their logo appears in the media, and the more seconds you can guarantee to the largest audience possible allows you to charge a higher price for the advertising space'  so basically when teams renew their shirt sponsors from now on they should get more money for the deal as a knock-on consequence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 9, 2023, 6:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
I think the clubs wanted/voted for this deal for a few reasons - £125k extra a year is probably more than ifollow brings in currently, plus it's guaranteed you don't have to hope x amount of fans will buy a pass to watch certain games. You can make plans with guaranteed income.

The bigger picture is the amount of games on tv - my brother is one of these digital media guru's and he tried to explain it to me in an idiot-friendly manner as : 'most companies see value for their money in the amount of seconds their logo appears in the media, and the more seconds you can guarantee to the largest audience possible allows you to charge a higher price for the advertising space'  so basically when teams renew their shirt sponsors from now on they should get more money for the deal as a knock-on consequence

Very cr@p guesstimate :

£125000 / 23 games = £5434

£5434 / £20 (approx price of ticket ) = 272

So judging by that , the ‘x’ amount of fans buying a pass or not going to the game is just under 300. Then of course you have to factor in the commercial side and how much each person would potentially be spending at the ground.

For me though, nothing beats spending an afternoon with your mates. Supping a couple of pints and berating the dodgy linesman for 90 minutes.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
OddShapedBalls
May 10, 2023, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Very cr@p guesstimate :

£125000 / 23 games = £5434

£5434 / £20 (approx price of ticket ) = 272

So judging by that , the ‘x’ amount of fans buying a pass or not going to the game is just under 300. Then of course you have to factor in the commercial side and how much each person would potentially be spending at the ground.

For me though, nothing beats spending an afternoon with your mates. Supping a couple of pints and berating the dodgy linesman for 90 minutes.

I don't really follow your argument, we're talking about what ifollow currently brings in not matchday attendance??? - a standalone matchday pass being £10 at most with no opportunity to sell scotch eggs to the people buying one so your numbers should be 543.4 people buying full cost matchday passes every game - not every game is available to purchase etc so actually for Ifollow to compete you then need even more online purchases, As ifollow /marines tv whatever you want to call it is also a hosted service I assume we pay for it and don't see all of that £10 per ticket anyway, and then of course there will be a transaction fee on the payments made so even less of the £10 reaches the club........  Largely, when you use mariners tv it's because you can't get to the game not because you'd rather watch an awful 1 camera angle showpiece. If you want an extra 272 fans lets get the osmond opened up but that's a separate issue.  You're also discounting the value of increased advertising and the fact that the £125k is guaranteed not speculative and affected by how well the team are doing....  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New EFL/Sky deal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.