3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 1:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 119
Let's call a spade a spade it was wrong what he said no doubts and you can't condone it , but he made a mistake- only he knows if it was more  .

I ask you though -back then how many people were down the pub saying the same ,worse and calling it 'lads banter '?
I know i heard it .

We live in a world where times have changed some of it for the better ,some worse - it was never right a lot of things were said but people are now left tarnished for something that was said in a completely different time even a relatively short time ago .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Maringer
May 5, 2023, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,605
Gold Stars: 185
He's obviously a man of his time who would have grown up around people using that sort of racist language.

However, the fact that he was almost absent-mindedly muttering it to himself when caught out would tend to indicate his claims of not being even a little bit racist don't hold much water. He apologised, which is something, I suppose, but I was left with the feeling he thought he was hard done by, when it was all entirely of his own making.

That doesn't even consider that the comment before the epithet used was nonsense - I don't recall Desailly being a lazy player, do you? Won the Champions League with two clubs, Serie A a couple of times, World Champion and European Champion with France, voted in the team for the best Premier League players from the first decade of the competition...

He did bloody well if he was lazy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
mariner91
May 5, 2023, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Mappers

Yes a slip of the tongue and he was condemned as an old ignorant racist and never given a chance again .

Although all black players who he had worked with described him as one of the most non- racist people they had met and he had been one of the few who had actually given black players a chance .

He actually made an appearance in a documentary style programme with Barry Fry at Peterborough a few years 'big Ron Manager ' he was an advisor it was comedy gold as you can imagine with him and Fry at the wheel .

You either intend to use that word or you don't. There is no slip of the tongue that allows it to come out because you shouldn't even be contemplating using it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 5:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

You either intend to use that word or you don't. There is no slip of the tongue that allows it to come out because you shouldn't even be contemplating using it.

You are right , but surely everyone deserves the benefit of doubt .

I mean that lad who plays cricket for England Ollie Robinson tweeted some pretty drastic ones about 10 years ago but has been 'rehabillitated ' as the ECB puts it , punished ; banned for a little while and now all is forgotten and he's back playing again,well  - which I think is right btw .

You could argue he was young and naive , but this topic is something the Big Ron generation were equally naive about . I think now people have realised don't say/tweet /post anything you would not say out loud ; I certainly would not .

Neil
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2023, 6:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,015
Gold Stars: 190
The weird thing with Ron Atkinson is that a number of black players have gone on record to say that he definitely wasn't racist as a manager. That still doesn't condone what he said, which was wrong on so many levels.

I was listening to Jason Lee the other week describe the impact David Baddiel had on him and the racial connotations of the phrase 'pineapple head'. We have come a long way from that but David Baddiel hasn't been cast aside in the same way Ron Atkinson was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Mappers
May 5, 2023, 6:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
The weird thing with Ron Atkinson is that a number of black players have gone on record to say that he definitely wasn't racist as a manager. That still doesn't condone what he said, which was wrong on so many levels.

I was listening to Jason Lee the other week describe the impact David Baddiel had on him and the racial connotations of the phrase 'pineapple head'. We have come a long way from that but David Baddiel hasn't been cast aside in the same way Ron Atkinson was.

That's it James i suppose it becomes a more severe problem when it effects people .

I have always struggled to understand racism tbh i could not care less if someone is black ,white ,orange ,yellow or green - i work with the widest range of race you could imagine and if 'you are my mate ' you are my mate it just does not make a difference - it's not something i had ever thought about really until all the media coverage of BL matter etc over the last few years and I do not understand the point of that really - i assume there were many like me who just did not think about it and then you actually think about the colour of peoples skin because of media campaigns .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Les Brechin
May 5, 2023, 9:11pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Can't stand the bloke.

Got to admit that he's not been a bad manager in his time though.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
fishcake63
May 5, 2023, 9:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Must admit not a fan of his & never will be & he wont care but hey ho i have to stubbornly admit he done good at huddersfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
diehardmariner
May 6, 2023, 6:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Absolutely love Warnock.

Would loved to have seen him in our dugout.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
TownSNAFU5
May 8, 2023, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,891
Gold Stars: 42
Ron Atkinson:  won’t comment on his racist remarks.  I do remember 2 black players that he managed well at WBA.  The late Cyril Regis and Laura Cunningham. Cyril Regis was a popular player in football.  

Laurie Cunningham was very quick and skilful.  Real Madrid bought him.  Sadly, Cunningham died in a car crash in Spain at a young age.

He was the first black player to play for England and the first English player to sign for Real Madrid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neil Warnock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.