Garth
May 2, 2023, 7:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from mimma
Hurst won't be complacent just because he has the backing of the board and is not under threat of the sack. We are now going down the same recruitment road that serves Brighton and Brentford so we'll of data analysis. Before we had to rely on scouts watching players and word of mouth. He still managed to find some decent players, so hopefully with all this new sports science he can earth some hidden gems that others miss.
Interesting times.

Think we are missing a point here, the club is now paying big bucks employing a  guy to go and mine those hidden gems, so theoretically we should get the crown jewels
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 112
bedders78
May 2, 2023, 9:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +836
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Garth

Think we are missing a point here, the club is now paying big bucks employing a  guy to go and mine those hidden gems, so theoretically we should get the crown jewels

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 112
May 2, 2023, 9:52am
Guest User
Quoted from Garth

Theoretically is the word here.  What we have to remember is that The Transfer Window Is Not A Supermarket (TTWINAS).

Reply: 43 - 112
Poojah
May 2, 2023, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,504
Quoted from mimma
Hurst won't be complacent just because he has the backing of the board and is not under threat of the sack. We are now going down the same recruitment road that serves Brighton and Brentford so we'll of data analysis. Before we had to rely on scouts watching players and word of mouth. He still managed to find some decent players, so hopefully with all this new sports science he can earth some hidden gems that others miss.
Interesting times.

Is this not a slight oversimplification of the “Brighton / Brentford” model, and a slight exaggeration of our current recruitment capabilities? My understanding is that we now have a full-time employee reviewing gold standard data, watching footage and presumably attending games in which prospective targets are playing (or at least extending that responsibility to our scouting network).

In effect, we have someone dedicated to a role which previously would have had to be covered by the manager and his coaching team. That’s a massive step forward and should absolutely improve our recruitment results, but we’re not quite adopting a “moneyball” type model just yet, are we? To do what Brighton and Brentford are doing, even at a lower level of the game, presumably has associated costs and complexities which make it prohibitively difficult to emulate, else everyone would be doing it, wouldn’t they?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 112
OddShapedBalls
May 2, 2023, 10:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
I'd like to see him here, even if he can't reproduce 11 in 20 at L2 level he takes players on and has great ball control, from what I've seen L2 defenders panic whenever someone runs at them with skill so he would be a great addition to bring something different, even if it's off the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 112
diehardmariner
May 2, 2023, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
I think it's important we don't get too excited and carried away with this new approach towards recruitment.

Yes, it's very exciting that we're looking at data to compliment the more traditional 'feel' approach to scouting.  But this doesn't put us ahead of the curve, it's just us starting to catch up with everyone else.  Thanks to two decades of gross underinvestment we've swam against the tide for so long.  

It's really a minor miracle that we've managed to unearth some genuine talents when our constraints were so significant.  No doubt this will aid Hurst's clear eye for talent, but it doesn't mean we'll standalone in the recruitment game.  We certainly won't be the only club at this level with a specified guy looking at data.

Regards some of those names mentioned here...

Chadwick - I was told we were interested in him in January but owing to him only coming back from a long-term injury it wasn't felt to be the best fit for both the lad and Town if we went a bit further down the ladder.  He's well thought of at Hull but they recognise that he isn't going to be in their plans moving forward.  I think there's a genuine chance of this one coming off.

Raikhy - I think he's that type of midfielder we've lacked this season, for a fair few in fact.  Someone who has got that long rangy style of play. I'm not comparing the two, but almost a Patrick Vieira type style to play.  Not really quick but those long legs that cover a lot of distance and seemingly appear from nowhere.  He also knocked it about quite well too when he was here on loan.  I wouldn't really see that his has to be a case of him or Hunt, both to me look they could play further forward than that sitting role.  

Glennon - Struggling to see where the links to a higher level have come from to be honest.  Started like a house on fire for the first few games but over the season he rarely impressed me.  In his defence, the illness he got seemed to have knocked him for six and he never really looked on it since.  In his loan spell I always thought he was fairly quick, but this season he's looked like he treads water, dunno if that's injuries that have hit him hard or what.  But athletically I think he needs to up it if he wants to go to the next level.  His form in his loan spell gives enough hope for what he can do, but if we hadn't had that loan deal to give some inkling of his potential I wouldn't be desperate for him to stay.  He did pair up very nicely with Vernam during his loan spell so that could be an interesting set-up down the left.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 112
mimma
May 2, 2023, 11:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Do you think that Glennons problem might be who is playing in front of him? Sometimes he gets left on his own?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 112
chaos33
May 2, 2023, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,964
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Garth

‘Big bucks’? What’s his salary?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 112
Mappers
May 2, 2023, 12:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

Is this not a slight oversimplification of the “Brighton / Brentford” model, and a slight exaggeration of our current recruitment capabilities? My understanding is that we now have a full-time employee reviewing gold standard data, watching footage and presumably attending games in which prospective targets are playing (or at least extending that responsibility to our scouting network).

In effect, we have someone dedicated to a role which previously would have had to be covered by the manager and his coaching team. That’s a massive step forward and should absolutely improve our recruitment results, but we’re not quite adopting a “moneyball” type model just yet, are we? To do what Brighton and Brentford are doing, even at a lower level of the game, presumably has associated costs and complexities which make it prohibitively difficult to emulate, else everyone would be doing it, wouldn’t they?

I think we are taking a hybrid approach in that we are going to /are take snippets from what other clubs are doing well and trying to  add it as we go along .
I am intrigued what difference (if any ) the new recruitment guy will have on summer signings , as he was well thought of at Lincoln signing relatively cheap players who have gone on to be decent ; will be interesting to see if that different set of eyes does mean recruitment differs from previous windows under Hurst .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Billy Chadwick from Ull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.