8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 25, 2023, 8:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I guess it's quite easy to get your attention caught up in some of the "headlines" but actually when you look at the content that the BBC provides across TV, radio, on line and worldwide it's not just the funding that is unique.

Compare what they do to the endless quizzes, reality shows and cooking programmes on terrestrial commercial TV and the dross that is commercial radio then I think it puts it into context.

What I don't believe though is that it's un-bias and as an organisation it seems to be one of the biggest boys clubs and old school tie networks in existence.

The downside is that they seem to make stupid strategic decisions and cutting broadcasters that are popular with the listeners on this occasion is one of those gaffs IMHO. After years of getting it right with hosts across TV & radio they seem to have lost sight that the presenter often makes the show.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
Heisenberg
April 25, 2023, 9:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I would rather the BBC put adverts on all their channels, if it means radio services don't take cuts. I don't really watch BBC much these days. I don't really see why I even should pay a TV license when all the other channels have adverts anyway.

Contemplating dropping my TV license altogether and just not watching live TV whatsoever, already got an Amazon Prime subscription, I'll probally try out Netflix - I was watching it quite abit over in the USA.

No TV license in the USA.... I've not really looked into other countries.

I can confirm it’s just us and North Korea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
Heisenberg
April 25, 2023, 9:14am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I guess it's quite easy to get your attention caught up in some of the "headlines" but actually when you look at the content that the BBC provides across TV, radio, on line and worldwide it's not just the funding that is unique.

Compare what they do to the endless quizzes, reality shows and cooking programmes on terrestrial commercial TV and the dross that is commercial radio then I think it puts it into context.

What I don't believe though is that it's un-bias and as an organisation it seems to be one of the biggest boys clubs and old school tie networks in existence.

The downside is that they seem to make stupid strategic decisions and cutting broadcasters that are popular with the listeners on this occasion is one of those gaffs IMHO. After years of getting it right with hosts across TV & radio they seem to have lost sight that the presenter often makes the show.

It’s all down to perception. By old boys network most assume Tory, but nowadays I think the BBC leans so far to the left it nearly falls over.

I have little time for the BBC, I think it’s almost as bad as ITV for content these days. However, I have to say that I actually don’t think that Lineker’s salary is that outrageous. However, threatening non-tv licence payers with £1000 fines and (in the past) imprisonment is deplorable and outdated. The BBC is laced with adverts - they’re just for their own products, that’s all!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
ska face
April 25, 2023, 9:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,747
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Heisenberg

It’s all down to perception. By old boys network most assume Tory, but nowadays I think the BBC leans so far to the left it nearly falls over.

Jesus wept
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 79
Heisenberg
April 25, 2023, 9:25am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Jesus wept

IF he existed. Which he didn’t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 79
April 25, 2023, 10:30am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What about all the repeats they keep churning out?  I don't watch TV at all, and my wife spends almost all her TV time watching the great content on Netflix, why the hell am I still paying for a TV licence?

Reply: 45 - 79
DB
April 25, 2023, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Heisenberg

IF he existed. Which he didn’t.

Jesus did exist and there are historical facts to prove it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 79
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 25, 2023, 4:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,888
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from DB

Jesus did exist and there are historical facts to prove it.

As did dinosaurs

They continue to sponge money in the House of Lords

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 25, 2023, 4:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,757
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from 123614

What about all the repeats they keep churning out?  I don't watch TV at all, and my wife spends almost all her TV time watching the great content on Netflix, why the hell am I still paying for a TV licence?

Think that’s the first time I’ve agreed with one of your posts in quite a while!!

Every other tv channel raises funding via advertising and in the modern world that’s what the BBC should do and scrap tv licence fees. Save a fortune on the admin required to collect the fees as well so win win. Growing up the Beeb had quality commentators for every sport, Wolstenholme, Arlott, Benaud, Coleman, Longhurst, Maskell, Allis et al but those days are long gone I’m afraid along with most of their sports coverage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
HertsGTFC
April 25, 2023, 5:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

Like I said it’s not just the stuff they do on TV which I thought would be quite a salient point considering the thread is about a local radio presenter.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.