Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Yarborough Vaults, April 24, 2023, 11:04am
See he is leaving BBC Radio Humberside due to cuts. Real shame as enjoyed listening to him. With the Telewag a pale shadow of what it once was, and people like Burnsy getting the chop, it's not good for us fans to find out what's really going on.

If no real press, Alex May would be on board with JF and you just end up with no one really being held to account.

Shame what's happening, especially at the BBC when seems plenty of other bits of fat to trim there
Posted by: Zmariner, April 24, 2023, 11:13am; Reply: 1
Sorry to hear that, I thought he was very good. Bored of paying for the TV licence. Time to stop TV tax I think , happy to pay for news but not drivel like Shearer and co.
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 24, 2023, 11:37am; Reply: 2
Wow, sad news that. Don't always agree with him but he's been on Humberside as long as I can remember, proper end of an era stuff this. There'll be no decent local BBC coverage unless you live in London/Manchester before long.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, April 24, 2023, 11:58am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Zmariner
Sorry to hear that, I thought he was very good. Bored of paying for the TV licence. Time to stop TV tax I think , happy to pay for news but not drivel like Shearer and co.

You do realise you already pay and don't have a choice about subsiding all commercial TV channels, whether or not you watch or subscribe to them, by virtue of tv advertising costs that are added to nearly every product you buy?
Posted by: Dodorondon, April 24, 2023, 12:10pm; Reply: 4
Usual bbc trick of cuts followed by reasons why the service will be so much better. No.Never is.

Posted by: Chrisblor, April 24, 2023, 12:18pm; Reply: 5
Absolutely disgusting what the've done to the BBC over the last decade or so. Local News and Radio was one of the few remaining worthwhile things about the licence fee, but now they're gutting that as well. Local journalism is on its bottom, so we can just expect more and more decline, nepotism and corruption to go on unexposed. It's mad to me that a load of BBC HR dickheads have decided axing someone like David Burns who epitomises what local radio is all about is in the best interests of anyone except bent politicians - it's certainly not a decision anyone in the general public with links to Humberside is happy about judging by the responses to his tweet.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 24, 2023, 12:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Chrisblor
Absolutely disgusting what the've done to the BBC over the last decade or so. Local News and Radio was one of the few remaining worthwhile things about the licence fee, but now they're gutting that as well. Local journalism is on its bottom, so we can just expect more and more decline, nepotism and corruption to go on unexposed. It's mad to me that a load of BBC HR dickheads have decided axing someone like David Burns who epitomises what local radio is all about is in the best interests of anyone except bent politicians - it's certainly not a decision anyone in the general public with links to Humberside is happy about judging by the responses to his tweet.

They'll get their bonuses for making such decisions just like the people at the bank that nearly went under got theirs.
Posted by: Mappers, April 24, 2023, 1:30pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Chrisblor

I have always liked Burnsey even though he's a Town fan who covers Hull you can tell he cares about The Tagers , us and our neighbours .

His programme is half decent to , it always made me laugh when he had our former custodian on ; he talked rings around him (you could argue that was never hard ) and i always remember when he asked JF  (about the new stadium ) 'so how are you planning on funding it fella ?' and our Johns answer was 'because we will ! '
That pretty much summed up the 20 year stadium pipe dream.

Hopefully Big Burnsy gets fixed up somewhere else .
Posted by: Withnail, April 24, 2023, 1:37pm; Reply: 8
Morale at bbc local radio is on its bottom. Local radio journalists, including those with long service, are having to reapply for their existing jobs/go up against colleagues for a fewer pool of jobs, and are being given 60 seconds in an interview to state 'why we should save your job".

It's being likened to the Hunger Games, pitting everyone against one another.

Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 24, 2023, 1:40pm; Reply: 9
Disgraceful, he is my one contact with Grimsby keeping me, as an exile, informed about the place we all love and know!
Posted by: denni266, April 24, 2023, 1:49pm; Reply: 10
Wonder what cr@p they wiil put in its place.. Liked his daily morning show. Why do they axe the programs that are popular and not the other cr@p .
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 24, 2023, 1:54pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from denni266
Wonder what cr@p they wiil put in its place.. Liked his daily morning show. Why do they axe the programs that are popular and not the other cr@p .

Each BBC local station will probably be left with their own weekday breakfast and drivetime show whilst all other shows (daytime & overnight) will be simulcast over bigger regions. So maybe all Yorkshire, Humberside and Lincolnshire will receive their other shows from Leeds.
Posted by: denni266, April 24, 2023, 2:00pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Each BBC local station will probably be left with their own weekday breakfast and drivetime show whilst all other shows (daytime & overnight) will be simulcast over bigger regions. So maybe all Yorkshire, Humberside and Lincolnshire will receive their other shows from Leeds.

Yes you are probably 100% correct there,  But i for one am not interested in leeds. It was bad enough at times listning all about Hull this and Hull that
Posted by: Dodorondon, April 24, 2023, 2:09pm; Reply: 13
As an exile I get radio humberside via an internet radio. Already there is a warning on other BBC channels that this service will no longer be available by mid year. Will this be true of local radio too?BBC player is not available outside the UK including Ireland.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 24, 2023, 2:23pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mappers

I have always liked Burnsey even though he's a Town fan who covers Hull you can tell he cares about The Tagers , us and our neighbours .

His programme is half decent to , it always made me laugh when he had our former custodian on ; he talked rings around him (you could argue that was never hard ) and i always remember when he asked JF  (about the new stadium ) 'so how are you planning on funding it fella ?' and our Johns answer was 'because we will ! '
That pretty much summed up the 20 year stadium pipe dream.

Hopefully Big Burnsy gets fixed up somewhere else .

Always liked his match reports and interviews with managers of all the local clubs. He asked questions that JT would never dare ask

He may well retire. Been there for ages so should get a good pay off.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 24, 2023, 3:10pm; Reply: 15
I haven't always agreed with some of his stuff and his views but as a local broadcaster he's spot on. The BBC need to look at itself if they're happy to lose relatable people like that.
Posted by: grimps, April 24, 2023, 3:26pm; Reply: 16
Let’s be honest the local Football is one of the few times we’d listen to Humberside.

The BBC and whichever government was in charge at the time made huge mistakes when it came to digitisation .
With their Brand Reputation and Back catalogue of thousands of quality programmes with should have been bigger than Netflix and Prime etc  put together with a world wide platform they could charge for.

They are miles behind other streaming services and really never capitalised on the open goal they had back in the day
Posted by: HerveJosse, April 24, 2023, 3:39pm; Reply: 17
Will be able to continue to pay exorbitant amounts to St Gary so beloved on here ( oh sorry I meant to the partnership with his ex wife) and the other ‘talent’.
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 24, 2023, 3:52pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mappers

I have always liked Burnsey even though he's a Town fan who covers Hull you can tell he cares about The Tagers , us and our neighbours

Hang on what...he's a Town fan? I never realised that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 24, 2023, 4:14pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yep, used to live in Cleethorpes.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, April 24, 2023, 4:32pm; Reply: 20
Spoke to him in the Notts 18 months or so ago and he remembered me from Clee Grammar
Posted by: toontown, April 24, 2023, 6:59pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yes seen him at the odd game in a non professional capacity.

I really liked him as an interviewer even though loads on here didn't, asked difficult questions which is the job of a journalist - I remember the first sign of jolleys mental frailty in that respect was when he got interviewed by burnsy rather than JT. "Who are you" or something he said when JT asked him a difficult question.

Was always interesting to hear his Frank views on Hull compared to the other reporters on the other teams.

Local radio sports coverage is one of the few things bbc offers that's relevant to me these days.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 24, 2023, 8:24pm; Reply: 22
No surprise really, he and a couple of other presenters have been firing snide remarks at their paymasters ever since this latest reshuffle was announced.
Burnsy in particular very critical of what was happening and often stating  that despite his numerous radio awards for his show he would have to interview to explain why he should keep his job.
Posted by: Azimuth, April 24, 2023, 10:02pm; Reply: 23
Its alright, all those that were spouting off in Support of Lineker and his cohorts a couple of weeks ago will be glad to know he keeps his huge Salary at the cost of local radio.
Posted by: Maringer, April 24, 2023, 10:19pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Azimuth
Its alright, all those that were spouting off in Support of Lineker and his cohorts a couple of weeks ago will be glad to know he keeps his huge Salary at the cost of local radio.

Yep, in the same way that pensioners and their triple-lock pension are taking money out of the pockets of hard-working nurses.

If you believe one, you must surely believe the other?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 24, 2023, 10:26pm; Reply: 25
I’ve kind of lost track on who we have in the non playing staff at Town but if we need a Head of Comms/Media we could do a lot worse than Burnsey
Posted by: Azimuth, April 24, 2023, 10:41pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Maringer

Yep, in the same way that pensioners and their triple-lock pension are taking money out of the pockets of hard-working nurses.

Where does Lineker and other highly paid presenters money come from then, if not the BBC budget?
To quote an old fishing saying, it all comes out of the cod end!

I ask you this question, would you happily pay more for a TV licence to keep Lineker in millions?

Posted by: DB, April 24, 2023, 10:42pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Maringer

With due respect to today's nurses and their salaries, pensioners have paid into a system for about 50 years. The fact it has been mismanaged is not the fault of pensioners.

Posted by: Azimuth, April 24, 2023, 10:43pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer

NHS bugets, expenditure and wages are a completely seperate issue to funding State Pensions.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 24, 2023, 11:40pm; Reply: 29
Just remember you will all be pensioners one day.

I have worked all my life and even moved to Suffolk to find a better job.

You will all have paid your taxes so will be entitled to receive whatever the government of the time gives you.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 24, 2023, 11:46pm; Reply: 30
The way we consume media has changed and local radio is a victim in all of it. Burnsy is a dying breed of journalist, proper old school but he says things as they are. Football managers and local politicians across the region must be breathing a sigh of relief today though.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 25, 2023, 12:16am; Reply: 31
I would rather the BBC put adverts on all their channels, if it means radio services don't take cuts. I don't really watch BBC much these days. I don't really see why I even should pay a TV license when all the other channels have adverts anyway.

Contemplating dropping my TV license altogether and just not watching live TV whatsoever, already got an Amazon Prime subscription, I'll probally try out Netflix - I was watching it quite abit over in the USA.

No TV license in the USA.... I've not really looked into other countries.
Posted by: Maringer, April 25, 2023, 12:44am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Azimuth

NHS bugets, expenditure and wages are a completely seperate issue to funding State Pensions.

That may be the perceived wisdom, but it is simply not true. The UK government creates the money to pay for the NHS budget, expenditure and wages in exactly the same way that it creates the money to fund State Pensions. 'National Insurance' has long been just another type of income tax by another name. It all goes into the same pot (thereby cancelling out some of the money created by government, oddly enough).

Whatever Lineker gets paid is what he has been offered. He'd be earning the same, if not more, if he was at Sky. BBC funding has effectively been slashed by successive Tory governments (freezes on the licence fee at times of high inflation coming not long after the BBC was forced to fund the free licences for pensioners), which isn't surprising, because they despise the idea of anything outside of commercial TV. The BBC management have taken the choice to cut local radio while at the same time also cutting back on the World Service and other overseas operations (bye bye lots of 'soft power' for the UK from this choice). Some of the TV newsreaders have been given the heave-ho as well, haven't they?

The government has decided to cut the amount of money available to the BBC - blaming Lineker for the BBC management cutting back on local radio is simply ridiculous.
Posted by: Maringer, April 25, 2023, 12:53am; Reply: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just remember you will all be pensioners one day.

I have worked all my life and even moved to Suffolk to find a better job.

You will all have paid your taxes so will be entitled to receive whatever the government of the time gives you.

Don't get me wrong, Pete. Our state pension is crap in comparison to most of our peers, so I don't begrudge it going up via the 'triple-lock' route, which will gradually make pensioners wealthier and hopefully make lives easier. The problem is that the pension is going up at the same time as benefits are being cut in real terms as is public sector pay. Is it right that pensioners should be getting wealthier whilst everyone else is getting poorer? Not to mention the fact that the pension age is moving ever-upwards for many of these people so they will have to work longer to get theirs!
Posted by: ginnywings, April 25, 2023, 12:54am; Reply: 34
Just another public service the Tories are trashing because it doesn't ar$e lick to them, or make money for shareholders.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 25, 2023, 6:36am; Reply: 35
My take on the BBC…

The RPI has roughly doubled in the last 19 years from the figure in early 2004. In that time the license fee has “only” increased from £121 to £159 which is a 31% increase but a real terms cut of 35%.

Obviously the license fee isn’t the BBC’s only source of income, but the Tories have been deliberately starving it of cash since 2010.

I have no problem paying the license fee, but I think it’s outdated and needs scrapping.

Local BBC radio station could be properly funded by adding it to council tax as a small additional payment similar to police (when the license fee is abolished).

National radio… what is the point anymore of Radio 1, 2 and 3? Either scrap them or make them a commercial venture to make profit for BBC TV funding. Radio 4 & 5 Live could possibly be amalgamated into 2 or 3 diffferent stations. A news and current affairs station and an entertainment and sport coverage station(s).

TV services… do we need the BBC doing as much live sports and highlights as they do? Does MOTD offer good value? If the BBC didn’t buy the highlights package they’d just end up on ITV, C4 or C5 with the PL receiving less money. Does there need to be BBC 1 to 4? BBC 4 shows a lot of archive stuff, so could it be abolished with its new content moved to BBC 2? Could newsnight be moved to BBC News Channel to make space in the schedule?

BBC iPlayer… could there be adverts to fund the services? Could they go down the ITV X / 4OD model of offering a subscription for ad-free?

The license fee could be abolished and replaced with a small levy on subscription tv and streaming  services. We all know Netflix, Prime video, Disney plus and co pay zero tax in the UK because of clever accounting practices. A levy will reverse that and see them having to pay some tax here.
Posted by: monkeyboy, April 25, 2023, 6:52am; Reply: 36
Bout time the goverment didnt fund the BBC at all and stop licences for good.
Let the old dinosaur figure out its own way of surviving
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, April 25, 2023, 7:17am; Reply: 37
I really do despair at some the comments made. For me the BBC is one of the country's few remaining crown jewels and people won't realise what they've had until its gone.

I suspect it will end up being a subscription service with a tiny percentage of its current output charged at twice the price of the current licence fee.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 25, 2023, 7:22am; Reply: 38
Really like Burnsy, have enjoyed listening to him for what seems like decades, maybe it is!

My favourite momment was when Jolley asked who he was lol
Posted by: blundellpork, April 25, 2023, 7:57am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I really do despair at some the comments made. For me the BBC is one of the country's few remaining crown jewels and people won't realise what they've had until its gone.

I suspect it will end up being a subscription service with a tiny percentage of its current output charged at twice the price of the current licence fee.

Good to see a few sensible posts amongst this debate. The BBC has been treated like a political football over the last 20 years, and bashing it provides a good distraction for the Government of the day. With real term cuts of over 30%, it’s no wonder staff have to leave. My choice would be people such as Lineker rather than local radio, but these are the decisions someone has to make.

I actually think that the BBC represent brilliant value for money, and consume a lot of their news, sport and drama across both TV and radio. I can’t stand adverts on commercial channels, and always channel hop when these come on.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 25, 2023, 8:25am; Reply: 40
I guess it's quite easy to get your attention caught up in some of the "headlines" but actually when you look at the content that the BBC provides across TV, radio, on line and worldwide it's not just the funding that is unique.

Compare what they do to the endless quizzes, reality shows and cooking programmes on terrestrial commercial TV and the dross that is commercial radio then I think it puts it into context.

What I don't believe though is that it's un-bias and as an organisation it seems to be one of the biggest boys clubs and old school tie networks in existence.

The downside is that they seem to make stupid strategic decisions and cutting broadcasters that are popular with the listeners on this occasion is one of those gaffs IMHO. After years of getting it right with hosts across TV & radio they seem to have lost sight that the presenter often makes the show.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 25, 2023, 9:09am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I would rather the BBC put adverts on all their channels, if it means radio services don't take cuts. I don't really watch BBC much these days. I don't really see why I even should pay a TV license when all the other channels have adverts anyway.

Contemplating dropping my TV license altogether and just not watching live TV whatsoever, already got an Amazon Prime subscription, I'll probally try out Netflix - I was watching it quite abit over in the USA.

No TV license in the USA.... I've not really looked into other countries.

I can confirm it’s just us and North Korea.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 25, 2023, 9:14am; Reply: 42
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I guess it's quite easy to get your attention caught up in some of the "headlines" but actually when you look at the content that the BBC provides across TV, radio, on line and worldwide it's not just the funding that is unique.

Compare what they do to the endless quizzes, reality shows and cooking programmes on terrestrial commercial TV and the dross that is commercial radio then I think it puts it into context.

What I don't believe though is that it's un-bias and as an organisation it seems to be one of the biggest boys clubs and old school tie networks in existence.

The downside is that they seem to make stupid strategic decisions and cutting broadcasters that are popular with the listeners on this occasion is one of those gaffs IMHO. After years of getting it right with hosts across TV & radio they seem to have lost sight that the presenter often makes the show.

It’s all down to perception. By old boys network most assume Tory, but nowadays I think the BBC leans so far to the left it nearly falls over.

I have little time for the BBC, I think it’s almost as bad as ITV for content these days. However, I have to say that I actually don’t think that Lineker’s salary is that outrageous. However, threatening non-tv licence payers with £1000 fines and (in the past) imprisonment is deplorable and outdated. The BBC is laced with adverts - they’re just for their own products, that’s all!
Posted by: ska face, April 25, 2023, 9:20am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Heisenberg

It’s all down to perception. By old boys network most assume Tory, but nowadays I think the BBC leans so far to the left it nearly falls over.

Jesus wept
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 25, 2023, 9:25am; Reply: 44
Quoted from ska face

Jesus wept

IF he existed. Which he didn’t.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 25, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 45
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What about all the repeats they keep churning out?  I don't watch TV at all, and my wife spends almost all her TV time watching the great content on Netflix, why the hell am I still paying for a TV licence?

Posted by: DB, April 25, 2023, 4:15pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Heisenberg

Jesus did exist and there are historical facts to prove it.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 25, 2023, 4:21pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from DB

Jesus did exist and there are historical facts to prove it.

As did dinosaurs

They continue to sponge money in the House of Lords
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 25, 2023, 4:46pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from 123614

What about all the repeats they keep churning out?  I don't watch TV at all, and my wife spends almost all her TV time watching the great content on Netflix, why the hell am I still paying for a TV licence?

Think that’s the first time I’ve agreed with one of your posts in quite a while!!

Every other tv channel raises funding via advertising and in the modern world that’s what the BBC should do and scrap tv licence fees. Save a fortune on the admin required to collect the fees as well so win win. Growing up the Beeb had quality commentators for every sport, Wolstenholme, Arlott, Benaud, Coleman, Longhurst, Maskell, Allis et al but those days are long gone I’m afraid along with most of their sports coverage.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 25, 2023, 5:54pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from 123614

Like I said it’s not just the stuff they do on TV which I thought would be quite a salient point considering the thread is about a local radio presenter.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 25, 2023, 5:58pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think that’s the first time I’ve agreed with one of your posts in quite a while!!

Every other tv channel raises funding via advertising and in the modern world that’s what the BBC should do and scrap tv licence fees. Save a fortune on the admin required to collect the fees as well so win win. Growing up the Beeb had quality commentators for every sport, Wolstenholme, Arlott, Benaud, Coleman, Longhurst, Maskell, Allis et al but those days are long gone I’m afraid along with most of their sports coverage.

If commercial funding was the catalyst for terrestrial TV getting the big sporting events and presenters ITV would have done it already.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 25, 2023, 6:23pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from ska face

Jesus wept

Worrying, these people can vote. As we found out in 2016 and 2019.
Posted by: Azimuth, April 25, 2023, 7:53pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Worrying, these people can vote. As we found out in 2016 and 2019.

So you are saying only people who share your veiwpoint should be allowed to vote?
Posted by: chaos33, April 25, 2023, 8:29pm; Reply: 53
Anyone who thinks the BBC is ‘left meaning’ given what we know about the Chair, his links, and the present incarnation of what passes for government in this country these days, should get their eyes and ears tested.
Just another example of our client media gaslighting folk in this country, and getting away with it because there are masses who are too dense, suggestible or bigoted to make an actual, informed, uncontaminated judgement. Don’t think. Just ‘feel’.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 25, 2023, 10:38pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from chaos33
Anyone who thinks the BBC is ‘left meaning’ given what we know about the Chair, his links, and the present incarnation of what passes for government in this country these days, should get their eyes and ears tested.
Just another example of our client media gaslighting folk in this country, and getting away with it because there are masses who are too dense, suggestible or bigoted to make an actual, informed, uncontaminated judgement. Don’t think. Just ‘feel’.

Thanks for suggesting I’m ‘dense’, chaos.

All I see on BBC News is Tory bashing and Starmer getting his bottom tongued. It’s been like that for years too.

I don’t really care as my next vote is as yet undecided, but the BBC is definitely too PC at the minute,

I’ll not bother with name calling, despite me having a different opinion to some, I’m better than that x.
Posted by: Zmariner, April 25, 2023, 10:57pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Heisenberg

I would research that statement
Posted by: ska face, April 25, 2023, 11:07pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Heisenberg

Thanks for suggesting I’m ‘dense’, chaos.

All I see on BBC News is Tory bashing and Starmer getting his bottom tongued. It’s been like that for years too.

I don’t really care as my next vote is as yet undecided, but the BBC is definitely too PC at the minute,

I’ll not bother with name calling, despite me having a different opinion to some, I’m better than that x.

Yeah and what’s “left” about Starmer?
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 25, 2023, 11:38pm; Reply: 57

Surprise surprise, it's turned into a political debate.

Posted by: ginnywings, April 25, 2023, 11:52pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from promotion plaice

Surprise surprise, it's turned into a political debate.

So you move it to non footy.

Can't have those pesky politics now can we?

It's a political choice to defund the BBC, which has led to the Burns departure, so I'm afraid you can't take politics out of the debate.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 25, 2023, 11:57pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

So you move it to non footy.

Can't have those pesky politics now can we?

It's a political choice to defund the BBC, which has led to the Burns departure, so I'm afraid you can't take politics out of the debate.

Exactly, that's why it's been moved to non footy, simple as that, I'm not taking sides.

Posted by: 140381 (Guest), April 26, 2023, 7:40am; Reply: 60
I suspect this is the beginning of local radio deteriorating like local newspapers have. Expect Humberside to be full of stories about women from Stoke on Trent complaining about their botched plastic surgery in Turkey.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 26, 2023, 8:49am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Zmariner

I would research that statement

There’ve been thousands of people called Jesus, I’ve even met one. But he wasn’t the messiah, he was just a very naughty boy.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 26, 2023, 9:55am; Reply: 62
Quoted from 140381
I suspect this is the beginning of local radio deteriorating like local newspapers have. Expect Humberside to be full of stories about women from Stoke on Trent complaining about their botched plastic surgery in Turkey.

If the sun ever comes out (it was 2C last night and it's May next week), they might take inspiration from Luke Green and try to fry an egg on their car too.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 26, 2023, 10:01am; Reply: 63
Quoted from promotion plaice

Exactly, that's why it's been moved to non footy, simple as that, I'm not taking sides.

Although you have made complaints in posts before about politics in threads and did make a post saying surprise, surprise, so I'm thinking this is you getting miffed and moving a thread to where it will be viewed less.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 26, 2023, 11:48pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Maringer

Not even similar, most if not all pensioners will have paid their dues via National Insurance Contributions where as Lineker has contributed intercourse all apart from spouting crap about football matches.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 26, 2023, 11:54pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You probably don't watch much BBC but there are plenty of quiz shows on there.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 26, 2023, 11:56pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Heisenberg

Of course there was a Jesus, bumped into him a few times at away games.

A loyal Town fan
Posted by: aldi_01, April 27, 2023, 7:17am; Reply: 67
I suspect this is the beginning of the end for local radio as we know it. However, I’ve not listened to Humberside for well over 5 years and I’d imagine there’s many the same so whilst folk aren’t happy, that will undoubtedly help them arrive at their decisions.

I can’t be arsed to get in to the political guff, especially when it involves people slagging off presenters for doing exactly what the political persuasion they follow encourages 🙈 I mean Linekar isn’t the reason the BBC is shite, ya know that alleged ‘woke’, left wing beret wearing group, the BBC, who’s three highest roles are all taken up by massive Tory whoppers…

Burnsy has gone and he won’t be the last. He took plenty of stick from town but he also used to put the knife in when necessary.
Posted by: Maringer, April 27, 2023, 8:46am; Reply: 68
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not even similar, most if not all pensioners will have paid their dues via National Insurance Contributions where as Lineker has contributed intercourse all apart from spouting crap about football matches.

You appear to have missed my post (number 32 in this thread) which pointed out that NIC is actually just a second income tax by another name. One which benefits the wealthy more than a higher rate of tax would, oddly enough. Strange that, isn't it. It's almost as though it is planned that way! NIC DOESN'T fund the state pension.

The government spends the money for state pensions into existence (and NIC destroys some of that money on the flip side).

Pensions and nurses wages comes from the same pot (government expenditure) in the same way that Lineker's salary and local radio expenditure does (BBC funding). You can't make one argument and claim it doesn't hold true for both cases.

You can see why the Tories aren't even attempting to govern properly any longer but are just intent on stoking a culture war. Unfortunately, it seems to work for people who aren't paying attention. If only the BBC was able to do it's job properly and inform! The Tories have made sure that won't happen with their appointments since 2010.

Posted by: chaos33, April 27, 2023, 11:48am; Reply: 69
Absolutely correct. And yet they gaslight the suggestible with the notion that the BBC is biased or left leaning. Christ, it daren’t even call out the truth about Brexit.
Posted by: DB, April 27, 2023, 2:50pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from arryarryarry

You probably don't watch much BBC but there are plenty of quiz shows on there.

If you took off the repeats then the screen would be empty.

Posted by: arryarryarry, April 27, 2023, 5:41pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Maringer

You appear to have missed my post (number 32 in this thread) which pointed out that NIC is actually just a second income tax by another name. One which benefits the wealthy more than a higher rate of tax would, oddly enough. Strange that, isn't it. It's almost as though it is planned that way! NIC DOESN'T fund the state pension.

The government spends the money for state pensions into existence (and NIC destroys some of that money on the flip side).

Pensions and nurses wages comes from the same pot (government expenditure) in the same way that Lineker's salary and local radio expenditure does (BBC funding). You can't make one argument and claim it doesn't hold true for both cases.

You can see why the Tories aren't even attempting to govern properly any longer but are just intent on stoking a culture war. Unfortunately, it seems to work for people who aren't paying attention. If only the BBC was able to do it's job properly and inform! The Tories have made sure that won't happen with their appointments since 2010.

Yes I do know that effectively National Insurance is basically another tax to put in the Government's coffers and the state pension is paid out of the current pot.

I just don't think you understand how the state pension is earned. To receive the full basic pension you have to have at least 30 years of NI contributions,  it used to be 35 years so paying NI is inextricably linked to having a state pension.
Posted by: Maringer, April 27, 2023, 10:09pm; Reply: 72
Nope, there is no 'pot'. The government creates the money and gives it to the pensioners who then presumably spend it. The money has no relation to what has, or hasn't been paid in NIC contributions. I'm aware that the government calculates the level of the pension related to amount paid in NIC (to some degree), but it is still money being created by the government, just the same as nurses' salaries.

Tax and spend isn't a thing. It's spending the money into existence and taxing it to destroy it (double entry book-keeping - credits and debits have to balance out).
Posted by: Maringer, April 28, 2023, 7:35am; Reply: 73
Don't take my word for it, incidentally. The Bank of England let it slip in a blog 9 years ago:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/quarterly-bulletin/2014/q1/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy

Yet still we have a government (and an opposition, for that matter) who endlessly quote the guff that government spending is like a household so 'we can't afford it' when talking about anything they don't want to fund.

Give the nurses the pay rise they are asking for and what is going to happen to the money? Are they going to secrete it away into their Cayman Island bank accounts, or are they going to spend it into the economy, giving businesses a boost at a time when we're teetering on the brink of recession?
Posted by: chaos33, April 28, 2023, 12:21pm; Reply: 74
This is absolutely indisputable, despite the fact that many won’t see or accept it.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 28, 2023, 2:23pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Maringer
Nope, there is no 'pot'. The government creates the money and gives it to the pensioners who then presumably spend it. The money has no relation to what has, or hasn't been paid in NIC contributions. I'm aware that the government calculates the level of the pension related to amount paid in NIC (to some degree), but it is still money being created by the government, just the same as nurses' salaries.

Tax and spend isn't a thing. It's spending the money into existence and taxing it to destroy it (double entry book-keeping - credits and debits have to balance out).

When I said "pot" I wasn't referring to a pension pot but the whole of the Government's income, however this is what the ONS say :-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/statepensionfunds#:~:text=The%20pension%20payments%20made%20by,Insurance%20contributions%20and%20general%20taxation.

As for the actual State Pension payments, of course there is a relation to the money individuals pay in National Insurance contributions, I was in a Contracted Out Money Purchase Pension Scheme which meant I paid lower NI Contributions and as such my State Pension was reduced.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 28, 2023, 7:25pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Maringer
Don't take my word for it, incidentally. The Bank of England let it slip in a blog 9 years ago:

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/quarterly-bulletin/2014/q1/money-creation-in-the-modern-economy

Yet still we have a government (and an opposition, for that matter) who endlessly quote the guff that government spending is like a household so 'we can't afford it' when talking about anything they don't want to fund.

Give the nurses the pay rise they are asking for and what is going to happen to the money? Are they going to secrete it away into their Cayman Island bank accounts, or are they going to spend it into the economy, giving businesses a boost at a time when we're teetering on the brink of recession?

I wish people could grasp this.

Rich people squirrel money away in trusts, shares and offshore bank accounts, because they are greedy and obsessed with wealth. They just use money to make more money and try to move up the rich list.

Give the money to the great unwashed and guess what; they go out and spend it on sh1t, which keeps the economy fluid and benefits everyone.

It's a political choice to whom and where the wealth goes, but all you hear is that the country can't afford it. Utter bollox.
Posted by: Maringer, April 29, 2023, 1:30am; Reply: 77
Quoted from arryarryarry

When I said "pot" I wasn't referring to a pension pot but the whole of the Government's income, however this is what the ONS say :-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/statepensionfunds#:~:text=The%20pension%20payments%20made%20by,Insurance%20contributions%20and%20general%20taxation.

As for the actual State Pension payments, of course there is a relation to the money individuals pay in National Insurance contributions, I was in a Contracted Out Money Purchase Pension Scheme which meant I paid lower NI Contributions and as such my State Pension was reduced.

The problem here, is that the ONS is being deliberately opaque and, fundamentally, dishonest:

"The pension payments made by the government for unfunded pensions are financed on an ongoing basis from National Insurance contributions and general taxation".

This isn't true. There is no hypothecation in funding for taxes and the Bank of England link I pointed to actually explains how money is created for the spending. The ONS is fundamentally an arm of the Treasury (operating out of the same buildings, I believe) and the claims of 'independence' are nonsense. It's why the government won't agree to have the ONS analyse opposition budgets when a General Election is coming.

They can pretend the link between taxation and pensions exists (and the NIC have a very slight bearing), but, as the IFS note in their blurb about the state pension, the relationship between NIC paid and benefits received is 'vanishingly small':

https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/taxlab-taxes-explained/national-insurance-contributions-explained

Back to the Beeb and its problems.

On the way home from work (stopping off to do some shopping on the way), I was listening to Radio 4. First of all, the had a report about the resignation of the the BBC Chairman, Richard Sharp. According to 'sources', Sharp had been telling people he wasn't planning to resign until he had a visit (to his own home) by the Director General. The reporter said he'd let people make their minds up but it certainly seemed to indicate that he was persuaded to fall on his sword.

After I'd done my shopping, I turned the radio back on and heard what can only be described as a rant by the person being interviewed. Wondered who it was? Turns out it was Dominic Lawson who was scathing in his criticism, claiming the BBC reporter had no right to insinuate Sharp had been persuaded to go, had done nothing wrong in any case and didn't need to resign.

To me, this interview showed everything that was wrong with the BBC and everything that is wrong with the country, for that matter. Sharp, (Tory donor, Sunak's first boss at Goldman Sachs, given the job because nobody else thought it worth applying given the government had briefed he was going to et the job) probably did the right thing to resign following the report which criticised the manner in which he was appointed and his failure to declare conflicts of interest after helping to arrange a loan guarantee for Johnson when he was Prime Minister before he was appointed.

So, following Sharp's resignation and the BBC report into what they understood had gone on behind the scenes, what sort of a voice did they look to for some external analysis? Dominic Lawson, the journalist son of the former Chancellor, Nigel Lawson. He's a former editor of The Spectator (just like his late Dad), former editor of The Sunday Telegraph, and he's been a columnist for another right-wing paper, the Sunday Telegraph, for well over a decade. Oh, he's also mates with Sharp, having known him for the best part of 50 years since meeting at University.

The presenter on Radio 4 didn't push back against Lawson's tirade (I think he was shocked, truth be told!) so the casual listener could easily have thought he accepted it as being factual, rather than a bizarre opinion - BBC reporters aren't allowed to make inferences, apparently. But more than that, why was Lawson invited for an interview in the first place? Could you think of a less partial interviewee if you tried?

Nepotism, establishment, right-wing bias, all on show within a couple of excerpts which I heard driving home. It was pretty pathetic truth be told.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 30, 2023, 4:44am; Reply: 78
flipping left wing woke organisation…
Posted by: Humbercod, May 3, 2023, 8:52am; Reply: 79
Feel sorry for Burnsy I think he has been great for the station over the years, I’ve spent that  many years listening to his voice he feels like someone I know well., I sometimes listen to his morning show where I think he does another excellent job, but I’ve often wondered how long he would have left as he will speak his mind at times (a rarity these days) and I think this has been at odds with the BBC.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 4:12am