April 20, 2023, 11:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner

Couldn't agree more.

It needs to go hand in hand with a stop to the hoovering up and stockpiling of talent by the bigger clubs too, which is clearly just trickling down the leagues.

Premier League 2, Academy football, whatever you want to call it simply isn't enough for players to develop suitably in.  You only need to look at the EFL Cup to see that these supposed elite youngsters get smashed about in a way they're just not used to.  3 or 4 games a  season against seasoned pros isn't going to be enough to aid the much needed wake up calls needed.  

We're no longer in a reserve league because the club said there wasn't enough teams in it and it became a glorified youth team fixture anyway.  I do understand the clubs reluctance to play players in these reserve fixtures because they don't to pick up injuries but I suspect it's also because there's little value in experienced fringe players running the risk of a knock by playing against kids.  If the fixtures weren't dominated by Academy kids, would managers be more prepared to run the risk of knocks to keep players ticking over?

The more we loan lads like O'Neill the more I think I favour more of a limit on the loan lads you can have in a season.  It's too easy to loan someone from the Academy of Preston, Derby, Stoke, Birmingham to fill a place on the bench.  They don't get much from it, we don't get anything and it's pretty much a waste of time.  I'd rather have Essel or Braithwaite getting the odd appearance from the bench than O'Neill or Dickson-Peters.  I've nothing against the loan market and it can and has worked for us with the likes of Smith, Lloyd et al.  But it's the loaning of lads just to fill a slot on the bench I don't like and I think that comes because the option is there to do so, almost a bit of a lazy option.

RE the youngsters I agree, if we're filling up slots on the bench lets use our own youth players - that will also make our academy look more attractive as prospective young players will see that we give in-house players a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
toontown
April 20, 2023, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

RE the youngsters I agree, if we're filling up slots on the bench lets use our own youth players - that will also make our academy look more attractive as prospective young players will see that we give in-house players a chance.

Although I definitely see where your coming from I do see why clubs take a chance on these young loans, like you say they do it to bring bodies in, it doesn't cost much, but if every so often they hit on a gem (like we did with Andy smith) it's a massive result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
FishOutOfWater
April 20, 2023, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Maringer
He was OK tonight. Retained possession reasonably well when it came to him and didn't do much wrong. The previous occasions I've seen him play, he's not done anything right at all, so that's an improvement.

Much too early for him for men's football at the moment, but give him a year or two and he might turn out OK.

That's how I see it too

I recall us having Liam Trotter on loan in 2008-9 season and thinking he was a bit lightweight ( Trotter by name, trotter by nature ) but he went on to have quite a good career and when I next saw him ( playing for Bolton against Town and scoring the only goal of the game ) you can appreciate that from late teens to mid-twenties raw talent is honed along with physicality to deliver a totally different & experienced player
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 51
Gainsbro_Mariner
April 21, 2023, 2:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That's how I see it too

I recall us having Liam Trotter on loan in 2008-9 season and thinking he was a bit lightweight ( Trotter by name, trotter by nature ) but he went on to have quite a good career and when I next saw him ( playing for Bolton against Town and scoring the only goal of the game ) you can appreciate that from late teens to mid-twenties raw talent is honed along with physicality to deliver a totally different & experienced player

Agree with this.

Seem to remember Josh Magennis and Malik Wilks both being with us on loan and both looked as plain as O'Neill but both have gone on to have fairly decent careers.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
arryarryarry
April 21, 2023, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from forza ivano
He had a great start at swindon but has been ineffective ever since.his cameo at Northampton is already the stuff of legend.15 minutes when he didnt do anything successfully , air shots, shanks, completely missed headers, he was brilliantly awful. Completely ineffective again tonight

You could make a list from our squad that have been completely ineffective.

I don't know why Hurst persists in getting these young forwards from higher up the League's as he hardly ever plays them
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
toontown
April 21, 2023, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Agree with this.

Seem to remember Josh Magennis and Malik Wilks both being with us on loan and both looked as plain as O'Neill but both have gone on to have fairly decent careers.

Another one was the young forward who was up front invthe 16/17 season who, apart from the opening game, looked mediocre for us. Then went on to be  atop scorer invthe division with Accrington (?) Next season i think and was playing at Ipswich wasn't he by the time Hurst rocked up there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
nightrider
April 21, 2023, 10:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
For every Malik Wilks there's a Luke Cornwall

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
Wedidntdidwe
April 22, 2023, 2:05am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +377
Gold Stars: 22
Kayden Jackson didn't pull up any trees while he was here but his 2nd season down here saw the goals start to flow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
Poojah
April 22, 2023, 8:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from nightrider
For every Malik Wilks there's a Luke Cornwall

See, I liked Luke Cornwall. He was only 21 when he signed for us on loan from Fulham, and scored 4 goals in 10 including a big winner away at West Brom. Thought at the time he was a good prospect. Never scored a goal in the football league again and quickly disappeared into non-league obscurity.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
toontown
April 22, 2023, 8:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Wedidntdidwe
Kayden Jackson didn't pull up any trees while he was here but his 2nd season down here saw the goals start to flow.

Kayden Jackson that was him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mikey O’Neill

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.