11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
April 16, 2023, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Very frustrating first half. Mansfield set up by marking Maher from our goal kicks meaning we had to play to Smith, who clearly isn’t comfortable with the ball at his feet (and a reason he’ll struggle at Hull). This made our build up play clunky and wasteful and struggled to get the ball anywhere near the final third. This, combined with poor delivery from Efete, Gallagher (not sure we’ll see him again), and Kahn when we did get there meant that Taylor and Lloyd were nullified. Our midfield two were very safe and conservative with neither able to ‘break the lines’. All this contributed to almost zero attacking output. The less said about the incompetence of the man in the middle the better.

Second half changed. A clear bollockin from the manager and a change, with Glennon linking up excellently with Kahn and providing overlapping and underlapping runs, giving us some threat down the left. We started being a little more direct, without hoofing it, and it seemed to work.

Clearly improvement is needed in the squad, and not only in the obvious centre forward area. We desperately need some quality from wide areas. Efete’s delivery is awful, Harry isn’t a conventional winger so often finds himself cutting inside and by the time Kahn has done a trick and slowed the play right down, all the attackers have made their runs and are stood still and all the defenders have marked them. We could sign Haaland and I think he’d struggle because of the lack of quality service. We also need a central midfielder who can break forward occasionally and provide a goal threat (Harry?).

All in all, I don’t think we’re a million miles away, 4 or 5 ‘quality’ signings, the shackles taken off every once in a while from the off at home and we have a side with potential.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 107
lukeo
April 16, 2023, 8:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from pontoonlew

My brief experience of refereeing showed me it’s ‘promote your mates’ culture where the ones most willing to dive in and kiss some bottom will get relatively far.

This combined complete lack of accountability for excrement decisions and the general attitude from most refs that they’re never wrong has led to some of the worst Refs I’ve ever seen reffing town games. It gets laughed off as ‘typical football fans’ but it’s getting to the point where they’re actually ruining a massive amount of games through pure incompetence.

I guess it's down to the mentor or county you're in. If I was interested in progressing I think I'd have a good chance down here as the chap who supports the refs in Somerset is brilliant and very supportive. But, I'm just doing it for leisure and only ref u18s and below for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 107
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 9:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
[quote=3351].

Clearly improvement is needed in the squad, and not only in the obvious centre forward area. We desperately need some quality from wide areas. Efete’s delivery is awful, Harry isn’t a conventional winger so often finds himself cutting inside and by the time Kahn has done a trick and slowed the play right down, all the attackers have made their runs and are stood still and all the defenders have marked them. We could sign Haaland and I think he’d struggle because of the lack of quality service. We also need a central midfielder who can break forward occasionally and provide a goal threat (Harry?).
.[/quote

I still can’t decide if it’s poor delivery or just players not knowing what to do in the 18 yard box, I suspect a mixture of both coupled with zero composure when in possession. Our general movement throughout the pitch is pretty average.

Then again I’m not sure I’ve seen many true footballing sides in this league, a lot of the goals we’ve conceded have been due to our own stupidity rather than the brilliance of our opposition.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 107
lukeo
April 16, 2023, 9:31am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
I like Efete. But just 1 scenario is the great run he did then the cross that the keeper caught. If he'd had his head down and whipped it in without looking , to me it's a good cross in a good area. But he looked up twice if not three times and could have picked someone out.
I like Efete. I think he's a steady player at this level and the above isn't a criticism its an observation. I'd be more than happy if it was him and Emmanuel fighting for the right back position next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 107
friskneymariner
April 16, 2023, 9:33am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Agree what has been said previously Smith couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough,looked very nervous.The new style of play has signaled Hurst does not want to play with wingers,hence Werne J.MD. and Kieran  being got rid of .We haven't got the mid field to play out from the back.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 107
DB
April 16, 2023, 9:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from easypeersy
Absolutely FED UP of Team tactics to tap the ball to a defender  on a goal kick and then lose the ball in our own third when the opposition swarm on it.
Cost us many goals this season!
It’s not rocket science! Kick the ball up the pitch!

And then it's called hoof ball, which has also been criticised on here many times.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 107
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
I like Efete. But just 1 scenario is the great run he did then the cross that the keeper caught. If he'd had his head down and whipped it in without looking , to me it's a good cross in a good area. But he looked up twice if not three times and could have picked someone out.
I like Efete. I think he's a steady player at this level and the above isn't a criticism its an observation. I'd be more than happy if it was him and Emmanuel fighting for the right back position next season.

Or an alternative observation is that in the first half Michee wins the ball, beats a man, looks up crosses a really good ball in, Lloyd has time to bring it down but gets under it and heads it over.

Michee is no worse than several Town players when it comes to composure in attacking areas whether that’s poor ball control, passing, failing to see players in better space and pot shots.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 107
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2023, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

And then it's called hoof ball, which has also been criticised on here many times.

Goal kicks have been part of the game since proper rules were applied haven’t they?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 107
rancido
April 16, 2023, 11:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96

Hurst said post-match that he only told the players yesterday about the new "system" yet seemed baffled why the players could not carry it out. Tired players, another set of changes in personnel and a new system to grapple with? I think he is asking too much of lower-league players to be honest. I do hope we are going to have an identifiable way of playing next season otherwise so many games will be bitty with no real flow from our point of view. I think he changes things so often to counteract the opposition but it just stops us from getting on the front foot and getting a rhythm going.

I agree that PH allowed too short a notice for the players to absorb a new system. Indeed he may even be expecting too much of lower league players. However that doesn't explain some shocking passing, I think Smith made three in the first 10 mins that immediately put us under pressure. It also doesn't explain poor decision making, poor marking and slow closing down of opponents. These are all aspects of the game that should be second nature to players, even at this level. These are players that will have been coached in these things since their very early teens or even younger.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 107
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2023, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

I agree that PH allowed too short a notice for the players to absorb a new system. Indeed he may even be expecting too much of lower league players. However that doesn't explain some shocking passing, I think Smith made three in the first 10 mins that immediately put us under pressure. It also doesn't explain poor decision making, poor marking and slow closing down of opponents. These are all aspects of the game that should be second nature to players, even at this level. These are players that will have been coached in these things since their very early teens or even younger.

Yes I agree and a lot of general play has turned to mush. I hope next season there is more emphasis of skill over endurance both individually and as a team.

I wonder how much actual coaching is going on? Hurst often tells us he has told players what he wants, but although professional players they still need coaching in how the manager wants to play. That brings us to the question of how does the manager want to play?

I hope Hurst has got it sorted in his head so we make the correct calls in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.